Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calais to Lake Garda

zerofour

zerofour

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We're heading from Calais to the south western shore of Lake Garda in the summer and we've been doing some research for the best route. It seems that we have 4 main options:
  1. France > Italy
  2. France > Western Switzerland > Italy
  3. France > Central Switzerland > Italy
  4. France > Belgium > Germany > Austria
We have 2 days for the outbound journey and 3 days for the return. We don't mind some paying tolls (within reason), but we mainly want a trouble free route avoiding major hold ups.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
So many fun picturesque routes to ponder - id take the quick way down through Mont Blanc tunnel and meander back through Central Switz - if your drive on the Switz motorways its costs £30 ish for a carnet but not a deal breaker

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Your date of travel may have influence on the route....traffic jams ...

Outbound for me would be option nr. 3
staying in Colmar (france) on the way.

A return trip through Switzerland would be great. Check out the Lotschberg rail tunnel at Kandersteg, drive onto an open rail carriage and sit in your Cali travelling through a mountain! Its a few years since we did this but I expect its still possible. The Italian lakes are beautiful and the campsites we stayed on were all of a very high standard. Generally we would use the fast uncrowded french peage motorways to Bern and then start pottering through Switzerland and Italy.

Useful thread as we've just decided to go down to the Italian Lakes in early May. Anyone Cali'd around a bit beyond there, up in the Italian Tirol? (I've skiied in the Dolomites but never there summer season but looks like it might be lovely for camping).

Useful thread as we've just decided to go down to the Italian Lakes in early May. Anyone Cali'd around a bit beyond there, up in the Italian Tirol? (I've skiied in the Dolomites but never there summer season but looks like it might be lovely for camping).

We go to the Alps every summer and normally concentrate on Austria/Switzerland but this summer we popped over the border into Italy for a stay in the Dolomites. We stayed near Sesto at Camping Sexton a 5* site to say the least. From here you are within easy reach/sight of the Three Peaks of Lavredo.

threepeaks.jpg

sexton.jpeg

A return trip through Switzerland would be great. Check out the Lotschberg rail tunnel at Kandersteg, drive onto an open rail carriage and sit in your Cali travelling through a mountain! Its a few years since we did this but I expect its still possible. The Italian lakes are beautiful and the campsites we stayed on were all of a very high standard. Generally we would use the fast uncrowded french peage motorways to Bern and then start pottering through Switzerland and Italy.

I've used this method when avoiding huge tailbacks around the Gotthard Tunnel when trying to get from Interlaken to Maranello in one day

We’ve driven down the last two years from Eurotunnel > Beaune / Dijon, and then across Switzerland from Beaune / Dijon > Lake Maggiore via Simplon Pass the next day.

Two very long days, and staying in hotels, but everywhere I’ve seen across Switzerland is just stunning & you can’t go wrong IMO.

Lake Annecy area through to Chamonix also lovely on way to Mont Blanc if you are west of Alps.

We went through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Lake Garda last year. If you choose that route be careful what time you hit it. On the way there we got stuck in terrible traffic jam. Several hours of painful wait. On the way home we did it late at night and it was much better. Around 30 minute wait. Loved Fornella Camping: http://www.fornellacamping.com/lakegarda/about-us.html

Outbound for me would be option nr. 3
staying in Colmar (france) on the way.

Central Colmar is stunning and well worth a visit. But very busy in the summer.

When we were crossing from Switzerland to Italy, were heading for the Mont Blanc tunnel but SatNav warned of severe delays and took us on an alternative route, great fun, interesting and very picturesque.

Central Colmar is stunning and well worth a visit. But very busy in the summer.

I'm thinking of as a first night stopover from Calais on our way into Germany. Do you or @westfalia have any stops you would recommend?

Thanks, Mav.

Where are you heading for ?
And what time will you be leaving Calais ?

Hoping to eventually reach Slovenia over the two weeks we are away but it is our first European trip and it's difficult to judge progress, and also the risk we might get stuck somewhere we like. Nominal route is Calais to Strasbourg area, onto the German Alpine Road, drop into Austria around Salzburg and then onto Lake bled / Ljubljana.

We are on the 0925 Dover - Calais ferry that gets us in to Calais around 1155.

Hoping to eventually reach Slovenia over the two weeks we are away but it is our first European trip and it's difficult to judge progress, and also the risk we might get stuck somewhere we like. Nominal route is Calais to Strasbourg area, onto the German Alpine Road, drop into Austria around Salzburg and then onto Lake bled / Ljubljana.

We are on the 0925 Dover - Calais ferry that gets us in to Calais around 1155.
You will need to be heading towards Stuttgart.
That means you can either go around Brussels and drop in via Luxembourg or take the french toll roads towards Metz ( costs about 38€ but there´s no traffic )
Slovenia is a great place for camping, i would get there as quick as you can and do the meandering on
the way back.
It also depends on how far you want to travel each day.
From calais at 12 o'clock you could do 1 stopover and be in Bled the next evening.

Garda is a lovely place. And you normally get good weather. However It can be a bit busy.

Have you though of stopping off for a day or 2 at one of the other lakes. Lego Orta is simply stunning. This campsite whilst rustic is amazing!!!( if u like camping right next to stunning lake and going for a swim in the morning/evening) the weather is not as reliable as Garda. But so worth it
Campeggio Allegro
Via Legro, 29, 28028 Pettenasco NO, Italy
+39 0323 89324
https://goo.gl/maps/4j1Sv6cqXsJ2

Metz is a good town to stop over in.

We stay at the Novotel in Metz centre as it has a bar/restaurant and very comfy/clean beds for £80 2 adults and two teenagers in same big room. We are normally in a Discovery 4 and that fits into garage which is underground down a steep ramp. Best check exact height with hotel first.