Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving to Lake Garda, Italy August

J

jamescropp

Hi

I would be very grateful if anyone could share their knowledge on the best route to Lake Garda, and also any advice on good campsites on the way. We have already booked a campsite for a week once we have got there.

We have 4 nights to get to Lake Garda (from Calais) and 2.5 days to get back. Our current idea of a route would be Calais - Namur - Luxembourg - Karlsruhe - Ulm - Fussen - Innnsbruk - Lake Garda.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

James

we're going down in Sept .. what campsite did you book? .. please report back when you return!
thanks

I shall also be in lake garda on august 14th :thumb not in the Cali :headbang

We live quite close to Fussen, so if you decide to take that route and stay there we can give you some recommendations about stuff to do and see, and a couple of ideas for places to wild camp if that’s your thing. I would avoid going through Switzerland to cross the alps, you will need to buy a vignette for a year and it costs about €33.

Very close to Fussen is the famous Bavarian castle, Schloss Neuschwanstein, which is definitely worth a visit if you have never seen it. The lakes close by are really nice in the summer Forggensee is a favourite of ours for days trips, there are some campsites there too, but we have never stayed there because it’s so close to home.

We have driven the route from Fussen to Lake Garda a couple of times and it’s definitely possible in 1 go, I think about 6 hours with stops for tolls, toilets etc. But you could consider stopping at Kalterersee rather than Innsbruck; it’s a wine area in Italy (close to Bolzano), there are a couple of nice campsites on the side of the lake. We have stayed there and we really like it. If you like walking or cycling there are loads of great routes nearby as its surrounded by mountains.

My tips would be:

• Remember to buy the Austria vignette for the Autobahns, and buy it as soon as possible, the petrol stations selling them get busier and busier the closer to the border you get. Also make sure you check that the dates are correct on it, it’s not uncommon for there to be “mistakes”. Or make a route that keeps you off the Austria Autobahns then you don’t need one.
• Make sure you fill the tank before you cross the border from Austria to Italy, you can expect to pay €0.30-€0.40 per liter more at an Italian Autostrada rest station. We normally fill up at near home because once you get into the Alps the price increases by a few cents a liter.
• The Italian service stations are always a complete rip off, so drive past unless you really need something.
• Remember that most things aren’t open on a Sunday in Germany and Austria, and lots of places close at lunch time on a Saturday.

Hope that helps

Hello, I have been in Lake Garda recently, but not in my Cali!! it,s a long way from home.
I use Eurocamp, a british company, very simple to use and with a lot of information about the route, places to visit nearby, etc.
I strongly recommend it.

Cheers and good trip,

Renato

Campsite Bella Italia for 3 weeks in August again. We'll do Belgium, Luxembourg, tip of France ( no tolls on this bit), Switzerland (you have to get a vignette in Austria as well) then Italy via Milan. Most direct route.

andys495 said:
Campsite Bella Italia for 3 weeks in August again. We'll do Belgium, Luxembourg, tip of France ( no tolls on this bit), Switzerland (you have to get a vignette in Austria as well) then Italy via Milan. Most direct route.

We like the Bella Italia too :thumb

Great price with ACSI.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks to all who have given great advice.

We are staying in Camping Eden in Garda. My sister and I (plus families) are both meeting there in our Calis to relive the past as we stayed there a number of times as kids.

We are staying at Camping Hopfensee near Fussen so any advice around there would be great.

We are also stopping off in Luxembourg on the way there so any advice on good campsites would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the help. We are going to stay at Camping Hopfensee on the way down (near Fussen).
We are also go to stop for one night in Luxembourg. Any good campsites??

Some more options ...
We - the husband and I (in our early 70’s) had a great drive to Garda for some work in May this year.
First night was in France in Camping les Portes on outskirts of Saverne in Alsace and it was adequate:e
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... tesdalsace
Second night in Switzerland on the top of the Alps in Camping Surcuolm with amazing views and miles of hairpin bends to get there:
http://www.campercontact.com/campersite/detail/id/3894
Third night in magical campsite by beautiful small town of Marone on Lake Iseo. We want to go back there for much much longer.
http://www.rivasanpietro.it/
Then five nights on Fossalta Camping right on Garda.
http://www.fossalta.com/
Restaurant on the site next door has great pizzas and amazing uninterrupted view over lake.
We had to come back early and speedily and went through tunnels ( Long waits) with a one night stop in a Novotel near Metz in Saint Avold ! Maybe some of the above might be useful for your return journey. Have a lovely time.

Here’s some things close to Fussen that are worth a visit:

• Schloss Neuschwanstein Castle (as previously mentioned) – if you want to do the tour of the castle you need to buy the tickets from the office before you make your way up to the castle or you can just make your way up for look around the outside. You can take a horse drawn carriage or just walk up - it takes 15 or so minutes. It’s worth leaving time for a walk around nearby – you can walk up to a bridge that gives a great view of the castle.
• Landsberg am Lech - Depending on the route you take I would recommend stopping in Landsberg am Lech it’s quite a nice little town for a walk around. There’s some nice little shops and cafes, and normally some sort of local market going on in the square.
• Auerberg - You can get a great view of the Alps from Auerberg church, which has an observation platform on the top of its tower
• Tegelberg – You can take the ski lifts up the mountain and go trekking – there are loads of well marked paths that you can follow. One takes about 3 hours and takes you to the Castle (above) There’s also a summer tabogan run, which is good fun for kids (and adults)

Also, in the area is the Romantischestrasse - You can check out this website about it: http://www.romantischestrasse.de/index. ... rleben&L=0

If there’s something that you’re particularly interested in or want to know let me know, my inlaws have always lived in the area.

Gilesyboy