Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aberdeen to Lake Garda

Ryemslie

Ryemslie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Looking to travel Aberdeen-Hull to catch ferry over to Zeebrugge then onto Annecy for stop over before heading through Mont-Blanc tunnel to Lake Garda. The drive from Zeebrugge to Annecy is likely to be too much in one day with two little ones (2 & 5yo) so looking for somewhere nice to stop over in between or if someone can suggest a better route. Don’t fancy crossing into Switzerland on the way there as I think I’d rather do it on way back. Any tips or advice would be welcome as it’s our first adventure outwith the uk with our cali.

If you can share the driving, I've found driving through the night works really well and then the kids will sleep plus the roads are much quieter. We did Edinburgh to Paris that way leaving at 6pm and it was great. We then did Paris to Annecy through the day and it was miserable! So a lesson learned for us there :)

Stop at Reins for lunch and go to Tattinger for a champagne tour. Then drive down to Beaune (haing booked into the campsite). Next day sorted.

Looking to travel Aberdeen-Hull to catch ferry over to Zeebrugge then onto Annecy for stop over before heading through Mont-Blanc tunnel to Lake Garda. The drive from Zeebrugge to Annecy is likely to be too much in one day with two little ones (2 & 5yo) so looking for somewhere nice to stop over in between or if someone can suggest a better route. Don’t fancy crossing into Switzerland on the way there as I think I’d rather do it on way back. Any tips or advice would be welcome as it’s our first adventure outwith the uk with our cali.

Hi there,
If you’re interested in staying in southern Lake Garda, we were at a site called Tiglio camping last week. It has a reasonable shop and restaurant, situated just along from Sirmione. We opted to pay 2 euros extra to get a pitch by the lake - we had number 18XS - and if you like wildlife, this is the one! It looks directly out over a small lagoon in front of the reed beds alongside the lake. Tons of grebes, herons, warblers and also the Lake Garda Coypu in evidence - it was like sitting in Spring Watch! But need insect repellent and be aware that Lake Garda has already got pretty busy. Enjoy your trip.

I recently drove from Zeebrugge to Zurich after getting off the ferry (I know, slight different direction but it wouldn't add too much for you). I made a stop in Luxembourg at Camping Mamer. Nice little place with good facilities, good food in the restaurant and cheap. €15 if I remember correctly. Plus, fill up in Luxiland because it's some of the cheapest fuel in Europe. :thumb

Stop at Reins for lunch and go to Tattinger for a champagne tour. Then drive down to Beaune (haing booked into the campsite). Next day sorted.
Oh that little campsite at Beaune is gorgeous. We've stayed there on the way through in tents many times. Pop in for some Cremant while you're in the area!

Thanks all. We’re here justnow. We ended up heading into Brugge for a few hours which was nice then did a four hour drive with a picnic stop at a nice Aire to the National Park east of Troyes. We’re staying in a nice campsite for two nights called camping le lac d’orient right by the lake, pitches are huge & facilities are excellent. Heading onto Annecy tomorrow for another two nights probably although thunderstorms are forecast.

Thanks all. We’re here justnow. We ended up heading into Brugge for a few hours which was nice then did a four hour drive with a picnic stop at a nice Aire to the National Park east of Troyes. We’re staying in a nice campsite for two nights called camping le lac d’orient right by the lake, pitches are huge & facilities are excellent. Heading onto Annecy tomorrow for another two nights probably although thunderstorms are forecast.
Enjoy the journey - Lake Garda is really nice.
Lac d’Orient is a great campsite. I think the car park just up the road gets full of motor homes as well. Annecy is one of our favourite towns the path alongside the lake is good for walking or cycling. Some of the sites on Garda can be large but we enjoyed going up the ‘east coast’ from Bardolino up to Riva del Garda. Which way you planning on going from Annecy?

Thinking of heading over to lake orta first which is around 4hrs to drive. Having the two young kids we’ve found that this is their limit. The quickest route is through the mint Blanc tunnel. The other route south which skirts Turin is only minutes slower according to google maps although I’m not sure if it would be any cheaper via toll roads as opposed to the tunnel fee

Thinking of heading over to lake orta first which is around 4hrs to drive. Having the two young kids we’ve found that this is their limit. The quickest route is through the mint Blanc tunnel. The other route south which skirts Turin is only minutes slower according to google maps although I’m not sure if it would be any cheaper via toll roads as opposed to the tunnel fee
We’ve also done the Mont Blanc tunnel route (chamonix is a lovely town to visit also - great trip up the cable car) but had a long, long wait to get through the tunnel - a good few hours - it can get very busy. The route in Italy through the Aosta Valley is pretty and straightforward.
Another beautiful route is into Switzerland from Chamonix to Martrigny along the A9 to Brig- Glis and then over the stunning Simplon pass into Italy and down to Orta or Maggoire.

Making me think of summer. Love Italy.

0DE12BC7-347C-4C19-9499-D6F1028C94AE.jpeg So starting to look at the return leg. Since we’ll likely be around lake Garda still before heading home I was thinking of heading from ribs del Garda up to stelvio pass then heading through black Forrest & onto Calais. I would be looking to do the return journey upto Calais over 3-4 days. Anyone done similar or have a better alternative for good driving/views. We have a toll tag for France which would probably make life easier if there are French alternatives. Would like to avoid Mont Blanc tunnel as we’re likely to do most of this driving durin busy periods most likely setting off on the 12th July. We have a 140 manual se, anyone have any experience going up stelvio pass in similar?

View attachment 34640 So starting to look at the return leg. Since we’ll likely be around lake Garda still before heading home I was thinking of heading from ribs del Garda up to stelvio pass then heading through black Forrest & onto Calais. I would be looking to do the return journey upto Calais over 3-4 days. Anyone done similar or have a better alternative for good driving/views. We have a toll tag for France which would probably make life easier if there are French alternatives. Would like to avoid Mont Blanc tunnel as we’re likely to do most of this driving durin busy periods most likely setting off on the 12th July. We have a 140 manual se, anyone have any experience going up stelvio pass in similar?
Stelvio - hell of a road. We did it the other way to enter Italy so you will be going down the steeper 49 ‘switchbacks’. A stunning road but can get busy with cyclists, super cars and motorbikes - just need to be aware. Great to stop for a photo shoot and cuppa at the top.
I think we went through Austria (motorways €12 vignette) and Germany (mix of roads). Both cracking countries. Black Forest is very pretty. I’ll check routes and post ASAP.

Stelvio - hell of a road. We did it the other way to enter Italy so you will be going down the steeper 49 ‘switchbacks’. A stunning road but can get busy with cyclists, super cars and motorbikes - just need to be aware. Great to stop for a photo shoot and cuppa at the top.
I think we went through Austria (motorways €12 vignette) and Germany (mix of roads). Both cracking countries. Black Forest is very pretty. I’ll check routes and post ASAP.

Thanks for that