Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Prescriptions Abroad

My GP will not issue a prescription for tablets I need covering 12 months travel.
If I am travelling through various countries on the continent, does anybody know a way that I can get the tablets I need without either coming back to the U.K. or paying a fortune to see a GP and for the drugs abroad? I have an EHIC card, I don’t know if this helps.
Doctors will never prescribe for long periods. Your EHIC card will only cover you for essential health issues whilst in the EU and wont cover you for longer term health issues that are known prior to travel. I have obtained medication in the EU but i am a dual national, so lucky enough to have secured my rights to free medical care/medicines prior to Brexit..

Doctors will never prescribe for long periods. Your EHIC card will only cover you for essential health issues whilst in the EU and wont cover you for longer term health issues that are known prior to travel. I have obtained medication in the EU but i am a dual national, so lucky enough to have secured my rights to free medical care/medicines prior to Brexit..
She gave me 6 months worth, and agreed to repeat this once more before seeing me again.

I think I’ll have to return to the U.K. briefly to pick up the repeat though as I haven’t found any other way.

After 2020 we’ll be limited to 90 days out of 180 in the EU anyway, so won’t need long term prescriptions.

Can’t you get repeats done online to a UK address and then get it forwarded.

Mike

Can’t you get repeats done online to a UK address and then get it forwarded.

Mike
Apparently it is illegal to post them. So, no. I can’t risk them being seized by customs.

You could ask for a private prescription. But whether that's economically worthwhile will depend on the drugs.

My GP will not issue a prescription for tablets I need covering 12 months travel.
If I am travelling through various countries on the continent, does anybody know a way that I can get the tablets I need without either coming back to the U.K. or paying a fortune to see a GP and for the drugs abroad? I have an EHIC card, I don’t know if this helps.
In Spain I visited a local clinic with my EHIC. I was given a prescription and it cost me half price. Suggest you find out which clinics are free and which are private. In Spain "centro de salud " is a state service and you can use your EHIC.

In Spain I visited a local clinic with my EHIC. I was given a prescription and it cost me half price. Suggest you find out which clinics are free and which are private. In Spain "centro de salud " is a state service and you can use your EHIC.
Thanks, I’ll look into this.

She gave me 6 months worth, and agreed to repeat this once more before seeing me again.

I think I’ll have to return to the U.K. briefly to pick up the repeat though as I haven’t found any other way.

After 2020 we’ll be limited to 90 days out of 180 in the EU anyway, so won’t need long term prescriptions.
Good that you can get 3 months..
You could go for longer periods to the EU, but you would have to the paperwork for a VISA etc..

Good that you can get 3 months..
You could go for longer periods to the EU, but you would have to the paperwork for a VISA etc..
There is currently no such thing as a long tourist term visa to stay in the Schengen area. To stay longer than 90 days you would need to apply for a residence permit.

When Does My ETIAS Expire?

Those wondering how long does the ETIAS visa waiver last may rest assured this visa waiver does not have a short expiration date.

This travel authorization lasts for 3 years or up to the expiry date of the passport to which it is attached, whichever happens first. The ETIAS visa waiver also allows for an unlimited number of entries, although it does limit each one of the stays to 90 days.

While the ETIAS is valid for 3 years, the limit for stays up to 90 days without a visa still applies.

There is currently no such thing as a long tourist term visa to stay in the Schengen area. To stay longer than 90 days you would need to apply for a residence permit.
Long term ‘tourist’ visas were proposed as part of a final Brexit agreement - watch this space - in any event, to put it bluntly, i dont care as it doesnt affect me..

Long term ‘tourist’ visas were proposed as part of a final Brexit agreement - watch this space - in any event, to put it bluntly, i dont care as it doesnt affect me..
No it wasn’t. It does not exist for any other country. I would be interested if you have a source for this? The only likely exception is working holiday visas for young people.
Freedom!

No it wasn’t. It does not exist for any other country. I would be interested if you have a source for this? The only likely exception is working holiday visas for young people.
Freedom!

From jan 2021 according to direct gov.
If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer

From jan 2021 according to direct gov.
If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer

Yes. The only way to stay longer than 90 days out of 180 after 2020 will be to apply for a residence permit (some countries in the EU call this a residence visa). This requires a permanent address and a valid job or education offer etc.

There is no other option available to any other country now, and this will not change for us.

The only other way would be to move on to any other country outside Schengen for 90 days, such as Morocco or Bulgaria.

Yes. The only way to stay longer than 90 days out of 180 after 2020 will be to apply for a residence permit (some countries in the EU call this a residence visa). This requires a permanent address and a valid job or education offer etc.

There is no other option available to any other country now, and this will not change for us.

The only other way would be to move on to any other country outside Schengen for 90 days, such as Morocco or Bulgaria.

I expect sometime over the next 11 months something will be sorted. It is a pretty easy issue to resolve.

How do microstates outside the EU and Schengen, such as Andorra, resolve the matter? Slightly different I know as there is a custom’s union between Andorra and EU

It
I expect sometime over the next 11 months something will be sorted. It is a pretty easy issue to resolve.

How do microstates outside the EU and Schengen, such as Andorra, resolve the matter? Slightly different I know as there is a custom’s union between Andorra and EU
It almost definitely will not be resolved. There is no will to resolve it. It’s a rule everybody is happy with. This is what removing freedom of movement means in practice.

It

It almost definitely will not be resolved. There is no will to resolve it. It’s a rule everybody is happy with. This is what removing freedom of movement means in practice.
That doesn't fully answer my question.

What happens when a Sammarinese, Andorran, Monacan, Clergy of the Vatican City or Liechtensteiner wants to spend over 90 days in the Schengen area or EU? I pretty sure that they don't have dual nationality by default, so I would expect there is some sort of special arrangement for longer stays that could be copied and pasted if there was a will to do so.

That doesn't fully answer my question.

What happens when a Sammarinese, Andorran, Monacan, Clergy of the Vatican City or Liechtensteiner wants to spend over 90 days in the Schengen area or EU? I pretty sure that they don't have dual nationality by default, so I would expect there is some sort of special arrangement for longer stays that could be copied and pasted if there was a will to do so.

There is a big wiki page on the Schengen area. The following is an extract from it:

However, some third-country nationals are permitted to stay in the Schengen Area for more than 90 days without the need to apply for a long-stay visa. For example, France does not require citizens of Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican City to apply for a long-stay visa.[212] In addition, Article 20(2) of the Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement allows for this 'in exceptional circumstances' and for bilateral agreements concluded by individual signatory states with other countries before the Convention entered into force to remain applicable. As a result, for example, New Zealand citizens are permitted to stay for up to 90 days in each of the Schengen countries (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland) which had already concluded bilateral visa exemption agreements with the New Zealand Government prior to the Convention entering into force without the need to apply for long-stay visas,[213][214][215][216][217] but if travelling to other Schengen countries the 90 days in a 180-day period time limit applies.

There is a big wiki page on the Schengen area. The following is an extract from it:

However, some third-country nationals are permitted to stay in the Schengen Area for more than 90 days without the need to apply for a long-stay visa. For example, France does not require citizens of Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican City to apply for a long-stay visa.[212] In addition, Article 20(2) of the Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement allows for this 'in exceptional circumstances' and for bilateral agreements concluded by individual signatory states with other countries before the Convention entered into force to remain applicable. As a result, for example, New Zealand citizens are permitted to stay for up to 90 days in each of the Schengen countries (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland) which had already concluded bilateral visa exemption agreements with the New Zealand Government prior to the Convention entering into force without the need to apply for long-stay visas,[213][214][215][216][217] but if travelling to other Schengen countries the 90 days in a 180-day period time limit applies.
The 'exceptional circumstances' bit is interesting. I'm assuming a former member of the EU would be regarded as exceptional, and a bilateral agreement could be concluded between the UK and Schengen. With Bulgaria and Romania not being part of Schengen this might even appease the end-of-free-movement zealots.

The 'exceptional circumstances' bit is interesting. I'm assuming a former member of the EU would be regarded as exceptional, and a bilateral agreement could be concluded between the UK and Schengen. With Bulgaria and Romania not being part of Schengen this might even appease the end-of-free-movement zealots.
I really hope you’re right.
I also really think you’re wrong though sadly. The UK won’t want to reciprocate, they are too busy closing their borders down in the name of freedom.

all those "little" countries set up agreements with the EU through the years, to regulate movement and trades. The problem with the UK is that all of a sudden it doesn't have any agreement with the EU and the EU with the UK. Hard B.
Given what has been achieved in terms of agreements since June 2016, (nothing), not really sure what it will be agreed by the end of 2020.

all those "little" countries set up agreements with the EU through the years, to regulate movement and trades. The problem with the UK is that all of a sudden it doesn't have any agreement with the EU and the EU with the UK. Hard B.
Given what has been achieved in terms of agreements since June 2016, (nothing), not really sure what it will be agreed by the end of 2020.
All those agreements were also made before the blanket 90 day Convention came into force.

Back