Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vignettes in Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia

Jeeves

Jeeves

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

12 days to our much planned family Road trip to Croatia.
Travelling from Amsterdam down to Porec in Croatia but I'm getting very confused about Vignettes in Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia.
I get the fact that you need one to travel on Motorways , but what are "s" Roads in Austria where they are also needed.
Also for Switzerland, we will literally be only passing through for the day and I could avoid by going via the Bodensee through Germany and then onto Austria.
Can we travel through these countries on normal (british A roads) or could we fall foul.
Happy to err on side of caution and just buy them but I hate wasting money if not needed.
Anyone got any first hand knowledge ?

I've spent a week in Swiss before without going on motorways (green signs as apposed to blue in other countries) without the need for one.
We had one in Austria ten day, 9 euro 20 cent up to 3.5 ton.
Slovenia motorways weekly 7 euro 50 cent.
Tolls in Croatia,

Nothing to worry about, its France where they have your leg up until you fall over.

Hope this helps.

I've spent a week in Swiss before without going on motorways (green signs as apposed to blue in other countries) without the need for one.
Tolls in Croatia,

Nothing to worry about, its France where they have your leg up until you fall over.

Hope this helps.
Helps massively-Thankyou

Tolls in Croatia,

Hope this helps.
P.s Croatia is stunning the people are friendly and the infrastructure is bob on. There's some lovely coastal villages and campsites with beaches with warm sea like a heated pool.

Tolls in Croatia,

Hope this helps.

Spot on.

Avoid motorways in Switzerland, enjoy the scenic routes.
Austria and Slovenia vignettes are almost a bargain.
Watch out for rip off vendors in Hungary - try to buy online.

If travelling by any road in Switzerland watch out for the speed cameras and just don't exceed +5kph over and you'll be OK. Although easy to spot if not hidden deliberately behind other traffic furniture, they are fairly prevalent in the 50kph areas within towns and villages and +1kph is a CHF 40 fine, +5kph is CHF 120. Generally there are less cameras on the motorways but still not advisable to speed +10kph over.
So it depends on the heaviness of your right foot as to whether a CHF 40 vignette might be cheaper than a speeding fine(s) - assuming the UK and Switzerland have some bilateral agreement about such things, I don't know...

Pull off around Koblenz and follow the Rhein valley down to Rüdesheim.

Lovely plans ahead!
You could drive from Frankfurt directly to Munich and then take the A8 to Salzburg, A10 to Villach and then A2 /A1 to cross Slovenia and then the A9 in Croatia.
However I‘d rather follow the Soča River in Slovenia (Kamp Soča) or mix it with the Bodensee and Blackforest areaAll depends on your time.
Enjoy and look forward to see some pictures!

Pull off around Koblenz and follow the Rhein valley down to Rüdesheim.
Thanks-Rudesheim is our first stop-then onto Belchenblick, before stopping again in Austrian Tirol, Bovec Slovenia and the finally Porec Croatia-Taking our time over 10 days

Slovenian vignette system is explained here:

Be careful though - if your Cali is registered as a campervan, you buy the same vignette as you would for a car. However, if it is not registered as campervan, you fall into the category of vans i.e. x2

Also, the weekly vignette is valid for seven days, not Sunday to Sunday.

Apparently in Switzerland some entry points take you straight onto motorway. Not sure but probably Basel from the North and South of Lugano from Italy. You pay more on the border. Fantastic roads though.

You always pay CHF 40.-/year for the motorways incl all the tunnels and passes whereever you enter Switzerland.
In the North you can enter Switzerland in Koblenz/Waldshut without motorway for example.

View attachment 47325

12 days to our much planned family Road trip to Croatia.
Travelling from Amsterdam down to Porec in Croatia but I'm getting very confused about Vignettes in Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia.
I get the fact that you need one to travel on Motorways , but what are "s" Roads in Austria where they are also needed.
Also for Switzerland, we will literally be only passing through for the day and I could avoid by going via the Bodensee through Germany and then onto Austria.
Can we travel through these countries on normal (british A roads) or could we fall foul.
Happy to err on side of caution and just buy them but I hate wasting money if not needed.
Anyone got any first hand knowledge ?

Are you already on the road? Look forward to read about your trip!