Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PCP and depreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well sorry to have offended anyone... guess I'm not welcome here for wondering about residuals against the backdrop of considerable change in the automotive industry.

If I do buy a California (I still might, even though there doesn't seem to be a welcoming online community for them), I guess I'll have to try to find another forum to join.

Thanks to those of you who did make me feel welcome here, some of the people on this and my other thread actually did, I really appreciate your insight!
Not offended or implying anything. More concerned that you would make a bad decision and regret buying. But from your posts the California does not match your requirements.

18 posts and now you are saying you are not welcome because we have argued in defence of a diesel-powered 3 ton leisure vehicle.

I am sorry we have offended you.

No, I get it. Only 18 posts into my learning about whether I want a California I'm told the California is not for me, and I shouldn't even be postulating an argument because I've obviously already made my mind up.

Real welcoming forum you have here... and I now see you're a moderator too! I think that says it all about this community! haha

Anyway, will continue my California research in silence, don't worry. See you later (and again, thanks to the people here who were nice!)

No, I get it. Only 18 posts into my learning about whether I want a California I'm told the California is not for me, and I shouldn't even be postulating an argument because I've obviously already made my mind up.

Real welcoming forum you have here... and I now see you're a moderator too! I think that says it all about this community! haha

Anyway, will continue my California research in silence, don't worry. See you later (and again, thanks to the people here who were nice!)

Get a life man/woman. People above have only tried to help you & and expended their thought process and fingers typing.

Get a life man/woman. People above have only tried to help you & and expended their thought process and fingers typing.

Mmhmm... love you too :kiss

Moderator - I can't see how to delete my account, so if you can do it please do. Logging out now.

Mmhmm... love you too :kiss

Moderator - I can't see how to delete my account, so if you can do it please do. Logging out now.
Don’t do that. Stay and listen, and contribute to the debate. Diesel vehicles will be around for many years.

What's the range of the T6 currently? I genuinely don't know... 500 miles? Well then couldn't I say the same about petrol (ok, diesel) stations? What if I venture to the middle of nowhere in the Pennines and don't find a petrol station? You may say that petrol stations are everywhere, but EV chargers are harder to find and I would agree with you... in 2020. But have you seen how quickly they're putting in chargers now? A lot easier to wire in an EV charger than build a petrol station :)

Not to mention, do the majority of California owners really go to Morocco? It's the majority of buyers who will determine resale value.

I'm not saying the ID Buzz beats the California in 2020... I mean, it's only a concept car at the moment after all. I'm just saying, the reality of using an electric vehicle in 2025, or 2030 may be very different to the reality of using it now if the pace of change continues as it is currently.
I really wanted an electric van. Really. I have had my hands up to the elbows in the engines of my cars since I was 16, so I know well the change which is coming. But, I’m in my 60’s, and only use my van for mountain trips, 30,000km a year, no city driving. The change is just not coming soon enough for me. Oh, and I’m going to Morocco in March.

It's a shame the way this went. This was a question about how residuals will fair in the future. The issues about how practical an electric camper have already been well developed here already.

If an electric camper is available in 5 years (albeit only useful for weekend camping trips from London to the New Forest), then it will sell, as that is what plenty of us do....plus shopping, collecting the kids, days at the beach. That will have SOME impact on demand for conventionally powered campers and that will have SOME impact on residuals of the vans that are close in age and value to the elec alternative.

It's a pity that can't be discussed in its own right without relying on our once every 24 month trips to the highlands or the 1% of us that venture out of the EU with our vans.

Hi WingingIt,
I joined the forum about a year ago, and bought my 2016 Ocean in Feb 2019. I have found this forum to be hugely absorbing, a terrific font of knowledge freely and generously given.
Occasionally there are comments which I have seen bouncing around which have seemed a little barbed or out of context, but I have learned to see past them and realized that most of the time it is me being slightly sensitized to something.
The moderators do a good job and I'm sure that you will find a lot of useful information on here and many interesting tips and a sense of community.
There are so many ways that people use their vans - I urge you to stick with it - it is worth it, and we would value your continued input too.
All the best, Mike

It's a pity that can't be discussed in its own right without relying on our once every 24 month trips to the highlands or the 1% of us that venture out of the EU with our vans.
1%...I don’t think so, judging by the amazing posts on this forum. Most people have another car or use train/bus/bicycle for shorter trips. Most Cali owners think long and hard before plunking down that much money, and know what they’re using it for, which is not short trips. Obviously change will come, but it will come from the car manufacturers who already know they will make a killing selling an electric car with 3 moving parts for a higher price than an ICE, with it’s pistons, connecting rods, valve train, transmission, oil pump, water pump, gas pump, etc., etc, etc., if they can just improve battery technology. But, for our uses, it’s not there yet. It will come, but not for a while.

Last edited:
1%...I don’t think so, judging by the amazing posts on this forum. Most people have another car or use train/bus/bicycle for shorter trips. Most Cali owners think long and hard before plunking down that much money, and know what they’re using it for, which is not short trips. Obviously change will come, but it will come from the car manufacturers who already know they will make a killing selling an electric car with 3 moving parts for a higher price than an ICE, with it’s valve train, transmission, oil pump, water pump, gas pump, etc., etc, etc., if they can just improve battery technology. But, for our uses, it’s not there yet. It will come, but not for a while.
Edit: my yearly trip to the Highlands is from Spain.

1%...I don’t think so, judging by the amazing posts on this forum
I was being generous. Maybe more Spanish make it over to Morocco.

Hatred for the Electric Vehicle is rife on here, every time someone metions
them it seems the thread takes a few twists and turns and ends up toxic.

Audi etron
Porsche Taycan
Tesla have the tech that you need to be looking at,
not a chiffon nissan bloody leaf.

Hatred for the Electric Vehicle is rife on here, every time someone metions
them it seems the thread takes a few twists and turns and ends up toxic.

Audi etron
Porsche Taycan
Tesla have the tech that you need to be looking at,
not a chiffon nissan bloody leaf.
No hatred here. The OP is probably long gone now but his argument is self defeating. If EV technology is advancing s fast as he claims ( and it may be right) then investing in any vehicle, ICE or EV, at any time makes no sense.

Haha! Thanks 2into1, you make good points. I shall continue mulling it all over...

In the Netherlands (like in many other countries in Europe) we have cities and area's where you can't go with older diesels. Still a 1994 VW Cali in good condition easily sells for 12.000. Some even up tot 20.000 or more. Used T5 Cali's which have a lot better/cleaner diesel engines, go for 40.000 So I think you'll be fine for quite some time with a T6.

The new London Cab weighs the same as the Cali Ocean, it has a electric drive train with a petrol ‘range extender’, at best you get 85 miles on a full charge then a ‘fast’ charge to 80% takes an hour or so, already after a year or so in service the batteries are becoming even less efficient.
we have neither the capacity or the infrastructure to make fully electric campervanning a reality.

There was a program on the radio yesterday talking about EVs.
According to industry insiders, the expected crossover date, when the technology is sufficiently mature and price sufficiently competitive, that it will no longer make sense to buy a non EV car is 2023.

There was a program on the radio yesterday talking about EVs.
According to industry insiders, the expected crossover date, when the technology is sufficiently mature and price sufficiently competitive, that it will no longer make sense to buy a non EV car is 2023.
That may be. What about buses, coaches,HGVs and... Campervan’s?

That may be. What about buses, coaches,HGVs and... Campervan’s?
I suppose they will take a little longer, however it sounds like things are changing fast. A camper would maybe need a small generator built in on board to charge the batteries to be useful for me. I’m not sure how that is better for the environment.

Please calm down. You have your views like everyone else does. Don't take your ball home just because others don't agree with you.

By weighing up the pros and cons of future ownership you are merely doing what everyone on here has before you. Just because your views are not universally accepted does not mean they are not valid. Also why do you imagine that you aren't welcome on this forum? A forum is a place to discuss things, glean information and offer personal opinions. Rarely does everyone agree. I'm sure that you won't find things any different on any other forum.

Personally, I don't agree that EV's are the long term future and certainly not in the campervan world. In fact I view EV's as a developmental blind ally. They merely swop one set of issues for others. None the less I don't have a crystal ball and therefore fully accept that I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I’m not sure where he can buy a £30k conversion vw from either. I guess it’s £30k on top of suppling the van yourself.
Most conversions are near on the same price as a Cali and can even be higher!

I think you have made up your mind. The California is not for you.
I agree with you. Bought our new Cali September this year, 60k. Over the last few weeks I have had concerns that the once Solid Gold residuals of a Cali are not as good, but we are in are mid 60's so we are not going to wait 4 or more years for the EV Cali at 70k/+ so we decided to buy the Ocean. Enjoying it while we can and not worry about how much it could be worth in 5 years.

Guys/Gals, hes gone...
If anyone can get hold of winginglt, I found his dummy in the Classified section...:talktothehand

If you don't want the risk of Cali residuals dropping through the floor then consider getting it on PCP.

At the end of the PCP agreement either:

1. If prices crash - hand it back to VW and walk away (assuming condition and mileage are not exceeded).
2. If prices hold up - pay the GMFV and keep the vehicle.

You will pay a premium and will be restricted to mileage but you know you can walk away at the end of the agreement if prices do go pear shaped between now and agreement end date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back