3 months ownership of the Beach, some thoughts and comparisons

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We thought long and hard over the purchase of the Beach, well ok no we actually didn't. We bought the first one we saw ;). It fitted our active lifestyle, we have dogs, like kayaking and cycling, days out and camping. It seemed a great day vehicle for me but with the versatility for adventures. :)

After 3 months of Beach (3 seat bench) ownership I've written down some thoughts and comparisons with my old van. I didn't go for a new SE it was out of my budget range and I didn't want a camper as my daily driver anyway.

So I thought I would write down some thoughts and comparisons with my full Campervan.. I have came from a 1985 VW Campervan with full bespoke camping interior so it's been an interesting learning curve. I appreciate it's normal to have a settling in period with a camper, you need to learn how to use it best, you streamline your storage so its the least disruption to your camping experience.

Beach Day to day use
The versatility of the van is simply amazing, we've moved my GF out of her flat in it. We've moved big pieces of furniture, transported a van full of passengers with luggage to airports and train stations. In fact sometimes I regret having it because I constantly get asked to help move things. I've used it for photoshoots as a dressing room/makeup room.

Compared to the T25: Well it's nothing the old van couldn't do, but the old van had a permanent hint of fear that it may stop working at any moment. A car could not do what the Cali does. The new one doesn't have the charm or retro feel that reminds me of my childhood but that's to be expected. The T25 feels right to give a name, the Cali hasn't felt like it suits a name.

There is more rear storage as the new van is front engined. The old one lost some space in the back where the engine bay is. The major reason I got the Beach, was confidence in my camper to go into Europe and it not break down on me. I think I'd need a better setup before I'd want to go camping long term in it.

MPG and engine: The Beach (114ps 5 speed) does around 34-35mpg on my average trip to work and back mixed urban and country driving and 38-40mpg on the a roads and motorways. It feels like driving a car but is quite slow 0-60 about 14 seconds. It felt horrible at first but now I am used to it, its plenty fast enough and as most of the time you're cruising I'm glad of the economy at the cost of a little accelleralation.
Compared to the 4 speed T25, which did 38mpg all day long with the original 1.6d engine. Only downside it couldnt do hills without dropping below HGV cruising speeds which felt horrible and occasionally dangerous (remember the days of slowing down going up inclines?). I upgraded this to a 1.9td engine from a golf and now its more like 29mpg at 65mph but can do steep hills easily. The beach is far quieter and smoother. Definitely wins but you would hope so 30 years later ;)

Storage:
The under seat trays are great and we store our dog related harnesses, the black out curtains and van related stuff. The lack of cupboard space does mean it doesn't really feel like a camper. It certainly hasn't got the cozy homely feel of the T25, definitely colder. It does however feel roomier without the cupboards and such inside.

For camping we use two 64L really useful boxes, which work well but become a pain sliding in and out. The more I use it the more I want some dedicated camper storage (or a pod).You can could perhaps remove the lids of the boxes and put them underneath which means you could lift up the shelf and access them from inside but it is a little awkward.

Compared to the T25: There are cupboards and storage a plenty meaning you can have the van setup for a holiday and ready to go at all times. Everything has its place and thus feels organised. The beach needs boxes taking in and out and sorting through to find things. Doesn't feel as conduscive to simple camping as you have to go into the back of the vehicle to get anything you need. We will certainly use our 80s campers for autumn/winter camping because we won't have to keep getting out to fetch things from the boot. That storage however has weight and reduces mpg, so the beach is good as we don't carry it around all the time, which is a fair counter to the convenience factor.

Seating:
The Beach bench seat is great as a passenger seat, firm (they are new) yet comfy for long journeys. The front seats are also good, I can easily do 3 hours before needing a stretch. The arm rests are good but need adjusting each time, why? I find we rarely turn the front seats around when camping (it just created more hassle when we wanted to drive somewhere). The bench seat when folded down is simply horrible as a bed, almost unusable in factory state, you absolutely need a mattress topper before you even entertain this.

Compared to the Vw T25. The T25 rock n roll bed is designed to be a bed first and a seat second, so its just far more comfy and it looks cooler. Sitting on it in the van at night feels like sitting on a lush sofa, laying it flat and having a big open bed is great. Its so much more comfy, the Beach could learn a lot. I suspect that the beach seat is harder to make it longer wearing but just like on a journey, of an evening after a while I got fed up of sitting on it and wanted a rest.

Camper aspects:
Poptop, the T25 had a sideways poptop which always annoyed me. Great for headspace but terrible for two sleeping in the roof. Someone has to have the roof close to their face, not something I like. The lengthways poptop is a gem and the rising bed to use as headspace or sleeping space is so much slicker on the Beach.

Pull down blinds are so much easier than curtains and the Cali is definitely a "stealth" camper. If I can't spot them easily on the road, very few will realise what they are which has to help security. I think thats a good thing for me.

So in conclusion, I love the Cali, it is my daily driver. I love the modern engine and reliability, better security means I'm not as fearful leaving it places (although I am terrified of door dings). The beautifully thought out interior and factory trim (no stretch carpet everywhere!) and the sheer room and versatility is simply marvellous. The dogs also love it, to them it already means adventures. If I make the mistake of opening the door they will be sat on the seat and refusing to come out until we go somewhere.

What I miss: Proper camper cupboards (but I'm glad I'm not paying for fuel to drive them around full time), that fixed storage to allow organised camping without having to leave the vehicle. I knew the Beach was a compromise and I think for my life its in the right one but I wonder if I should have gone for the 2 seat beach instead?

Wishlist for the Beach to make it better as a camper is surprisingly short:

Some kind of removable kitchen pod with storage and built in stove (sink not so important to me as I rarely use them). Some of the tiny pods you get via Germany are expensive, i got a full interior for £2400 for my T25 made to my own design, paying 2k for one tiny removable pod doesn't seem good value for money. (Perhaps they think us Cali owners can afford it?)
Mattress Topper for downstairs
The VW awning, should have got it with hindsight. Was pondering a drive away awning but I don't tink that matches our camping style (short stays).
Roof rack and kayak brackets.
Maybe a stereo update at some point so I can add POIs to the satnav or use waze but it works as is.

Thanks Matt, a very considered and interesting read. Are you planning to add those items that you miss (or do you think that you could live without) and are you/have you any thoughts on solar (as I note that you had a system in your T25?)

I can certainly live without all of those items, they are all nice to have things really, except one. The must buy is the roof rack and kayak support, so I can kayak again.

The awning I can do without, at the moment I have a £20 tarp from Decathalon that I've sewn kador strip onto. Wind out awning would be lovely and quick but not needed for the short term/winter.

Solar I am pondering a lot lately. I really rate it, my T25 hasn't been on hookup for over a year, its just not needed any more. My leisure setup would happily run around 5 or 6 days without starting the engine with the compressor fridge running. After which it would cut in and out due to battery protection. Without a fridge its permanently full. The advantage on the T25 is that its permanently on the roof, the batteries are kept in top condition, allowing the alarm and GPS tracker to work even if I don't drive it for a month. It doesn't really pay for itself quickly, if we assume £5 for hookup its going to take 40+ days of camping to get your investment back. That's not why I bought it though.

I drive my Cali daily so I don't need it for battery conditioning. I'm reluctant to have a roof mounted one for fear of damaging the paint, maybe when its older I'll be less protective. I am pondering a suitcase one perhaps. The advantage over a fixed panel that you can always position them for maximum light gathering without moving the van. The downside they aren't out permanently so you aren't getting amps at all possible times. So far hookup has been fine.

Last edited:
I can certainly live without all of those items, they are all nice to have things really, except one. The must buy is the roof rack and kayak support, so I can kayak again.

The awning I can do without, at the moment I have a £20 tarp from Decathalon that I've sewn kador strip onto. Wind out awning would be lovely and quick but not needed for the short term/winter.

Solar I am pondering a lot lately. I really rate it, my T25 hasn't been on hookup for over a year, its just not needed any more. My leisure setup would happily run around 5 or 6 days without starting the engine with the compressor fridge running. After which it would cut in and out due to battery protection. Without a fridge its permanently full. The advantage on the T25 is that its permanently on the roof, the batteries are kept in top condition, allowing the alarm and GPS tracker to work even if I don't drive it for a month. It doesn't really pay for itself quickly, if we assume £5 for hookup its going to take 40+ days of camping to get your investment back. That's not why I bought it though.

I drive my Cali daily so I don't need it for battery conditioning. I'm reluctant to have a roof mounted one for fear of damaging the paint, maybe when its older I'll be less protective. I am pondering a suitcase one perhaps. The advantage over a fixed panel that you can always position them for maximum light gathering without moving the van. The downside they aren't out permanently so you aren't getting amps at all possible times. So far hookup has been fine.
I appreciate your thoughts Matt - i too have chosen a 3 seater Beach (due March), and interested in your comparisons. I am coming from an SMAX with futons, so even a basic Beach spec will be a big step up - i am interested in your 2 seat vs 3 seat thoughts - but nothing you have said has made me re-think my pref option of 3 seater / 1 x spare add seat and a kitchen pod. I cant wait to give my feedback and experience in due course.Thanks

Definitely, the sheer size of the space in the back is impressive.

In all honesty if I had the 2 seat I would probably be thinking the 3 might be better, they each have their advantages and the differences are small. The advantage of the 2 seater beach is the built in storage and fridge and a slightly lower bed height (giving more headroom?). I do already own a waeco fridge (part of my decision) which fits nicely in the rear of the 3 seat beach and the higher bed on the 3 means more hidden storage underneath too.

My pondering on the 2 seat maybe is only because I rarely take a lot of passengers (other than 2 wampy spaniels) so in normal day to day running I don't need those 3 seats. The few times I have however its proved very handy. I could have got a spare seat and the 2 seater but it would have cost me more. Bang for buck I think the one I have is probably good.

I guess it depends on your primary use for the vehicle and mine certainly isn't camping at the moment so it works really really well.

Oh and the privacy glass is brilliant, recommend that, wouldn't have a camper without it again.

We have the 2 seater Beach.
The bed is enormous and with the VW comfort matress it is very comfortable. The storage pod and under seat large draw work well
After last years trip to Croatia we thought that it was the perfect vehicle as we used a blow up awning at 4 different locations for a total of 14 nights. Then used upstairs to sleep, with the van all packed on 6 nights out of the 20 night trip.
We have a WAECO 35l fridge which is fantastic. Normally we only cook outside on a combination of Cadac and single burner. Whilst on hook up we have an electric kettle in the Cali for making a brew

However.............this years 20 night road trip around Scandinavia, left us pricing up having an SE kitchen unit retro fitted. We found it difficult to stay organised as we were moving on every day and because of not taking the blow up awning to empty the van into ( we only ever use the blow up awning if we are staying in one place for more than a night). We had to use the single burner for a brew and to cook a couple of one pan meals, whilst inside the van (as it was too wet and windy outside). We watched how our friends faired in a couple of SE's on hire and they were able to stay a lot more organised than us, even as complete California novices.
So, I think the type of camping comes into play with the suitability of the Beach. For us, the Beach is still our prefered camper when we're going to stay on a campsite with hook up for a few days and set up base camp within our blow up awning, which means we can drive off and come back as we please.
Touring and moving on every day has left us scratching our heads a little!

I meant to add to the above post that the Beach is our only vehicle other than our Sprinter van which is for business use.

Big bloke, interesting thoughts.

As I said in another post we're just back from a 6 week trip round Italy in our 2 seat Beach. We also carried our drive away awning but only used it once. All the other times we just used the roll out awning. Glad we did use it that once as there was a massive storm, so saved the chairs and table being blown into the next village!

There were only a couple of days where we woke up to really wet weather, once when we hadn't even put out the roll out awning and another time on an agritourism site in the mountains. Each time we just packed up quickly and moved on. A Thermos of hot water from the night before makes a quick cup of coffee and normally there's somewhere you can get a croissant to put you on. Or at least that's what we did.

I can see if you're in for a few days of soggy weather then the idea of the self contained SE could become interesting. But for us (we're retired so can follow the sun) the 2 seat Beach is perfect. Nice double bed downstairs and when it's sunny and you are going from place to place the roll out awning works great and if we're somewhere for more than a couple of days then the drive away comes out.

Our only issue after 6 weeks away is we're feeling deprived of all the fresh air now were home. I had to get the garden furniture out today to sit outside for a coffee!

Big bloke, interesting thoughts.

As I said in another post we're just back from a 6 week trip round Italy in our 2 seat Beach. We also carried our drive away awning but only used it once. All the other times we just used the roll out awning. Glad we did use it that once as there was a massive storm, so saved the chairs and table being blown into the next village!

There were only a couple of days where we woke up to really wet weather, once when we hadn't even put out the roll out awning and another time on an agritourism site in the mountains. Each time we just packed up quickly and moved on. A Thermos of hot water from the night before makes a quick cup of coffee and normally there's somewhere you can get a croissant to put you on. Or at least that's what we did.

I can see if you're in for a few days of soggy weather then the idea of the self contained SE could become interesting. But for us (we're retired so can follow the sun) the 2 seat Beach is perfect. Nice double bed downstairs and when it's sunny and you are going from place to place the roll out awning works great and if we're somewhere for more than a couple of days then the drive away comes out.

Our only issue after 6 weeks away is we're feeling deprived of all the fresh air now were home. I had to get the garden furniture out today to sit outside for a coffee!

6 Weeks away! I'm impressed!
I'm also retired ish! I retired from the Fire Service in April '13 and purchased our Beach out of my pension lump sum. There is no way that we envisage trading in our Beach, we intend for it to become a classic vehicle under our use! However we are open to customising it to our needs. Perhaps it was just this particular trip around Scandinavia that our set up wasn't as suited to.

For camping we use two 64L really useful boxes, which work well but become a pain sliding in and out. The more I use it the more I want some dedicated camper storage (or a pod).You can could perhaps remove the lids of the boxes and put them underneath which means you could lift up the shelf and access them from inside but it is a little awkward.
We've had our 3-seater Beach for a year now. After several permutations (plastic crates, Ikea kitchen units) we've (in our opinion) created the perfect way to organize our stuff. I wrote a post about it some months ago:
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-we-dressed-up-betsy.9782/
Have a look - you may find some inspiration there.
Recently we added two Window Bags: http://www.california-camping.de/da...ornia-beach.html?___store=en&___from_store=de
They still need testing but they look promising!

Can't believe I missed that post, but it was before I bought my beach, brilliant stuff! Thanks for sharing it again!

Last edited:
Wow! 278 euros for the window bags. And if you have a 2 seat Beach you can only use one of them!

Seems like a lot of money. I'll bet they'd be £278 from a UK supplier.....

With just the 2 of us to store things for we manage fine with the box next to the 2 seats and the drawer underneath. Nice implementation of the storage system though Romke.

As a PS, has anyone thought of making the board at the back of the 2 seater lift upable somewhat like the one in the 3 seat.

A few days ago I was lying in bed downstairs reading and thought it would be a great idea if you could lift the back end of the board like you can on a sun lounger to make reading more comfortable. Or even watching TV if you had a TV by the front seats

Wow! 278 euros for the window bags. And if you have a 2 seat Beach you can only use one of them!

Seems like a lot of money. I'll bet they'd be £278 from a UK supplier.....

1: I think you can use two in any Beach
2: no need for a UK supplier; they ship Europe-wide

Hi Romke, the details on the link you sent says only the left hand one can be used on the 2 seat Beach.

I think the cupboard(storage lid) might get in the way on the 2 seater. You can get the bags from campervantastic in the UK.

Ok it won't let me say who, it appears but there is a uk supplier.

6 Weeks away! I'm impressed!
I'm also retired ish! I retired from the Fire Service in April '13 and purchased our Beach out of my pension lump sum. There is no way that we envisage trading in our Beach, we intend for it to become a classic vehicle under our use! However we are open to customising it to our needs. Perhaps it was just this particular trip around Scandinavia that our set up wasn't as suited to.
Hi Big bloke i appreciate your thoughts -

Wow 6 motnsh
Wishlist for the Beach to make it better as a camper is surprisingly short:

Some kind of removable kitchen pod with storage and built in stove (sink not so important to me as I rarely use them). Some of the tiny pods you get via Germany are expensive, i got a full interior for £2400 for my T25 made to my own design, paying 2k for one tiny removable pod doesn't seem good value for money. (Perhaps they think us Cali owners can afford it?)
Mattress Topper for downstairs
The VW awning, should have got it with hindsight. Was pondering a drive away awning but I don't tink that matches our camping style (short stays).
Roof rack and kayak brackets.
Maybe a stereo update at some point so I can add POIs to the satnav or use waze but it works as is.

6 months already how time flies, after 6500miles I am really at home with the van now. Thought I would have a think if I have learnt anything else.

Cleaning: Wow the wet November, December and my dogs have punished the interior floor. The plastic I am hoping will clean up quickly but it seems to attract muddy smears so well, with the dogs its a right mess inside. Easy to brush out at least. The old van's vinyl floor wins again though. The seats at least are well projected with the inka waterproof covers, they've easily paid for themselves already!

Performance: Got 36.8mpg on a trip to Berwick Upon Tweed (260mile each way) and back, quite happy with that, sat at 73-75 when possible, but plenty of 50 zones to bring it up a little. The van has used a little oil in 6500 miles, not enough to be worried about but considering my last car didn't lose any in 7 years, its certainly a different world. I get now why the handover included oil checking so persistently. I wonder if mpg will be higher without the all season tyres on? The 114ps is actually plenty but does take a little work pulling onto faster roads, even so there are plenty going slower than me and I have never felt its unsafe or not nippy enough.

Storage: Still not found a nice storage or kitchen pod to go inside the van, just seems a gap in the market in the UK. There are some out there but they seem either cheap end or very expensive German models.

Being able to lift up the multiflex board to access the boot whilst its raining outside has been great but is restrictive. For camping though in the recent rain it has made me wonder though whether taking out the board for camping and moving the seat right back could be an option. Some storage for the rail system would still be required however but it could be quite large and the useable space would be massive. I am still somewhat at a dead end on the storage front however. I am edging towards an Ikea Alex modified as per threads on here.

Awning- Really really wishing I had got a cali awning when I bought it, as is often the way after the event I find it hard to justify the cost.

Topper :
just using regular one for now, a must either way.

Bluetooth: can't decide if I am regretting not getting the bluetooth fitted, phone conversations and driving are distracting. However streaming music is the main appeal. Interestingly before purchase it was priced at £180 fitted, after purchase its now £180 + £160 for the fitting, pretty steep for relatively cheap and basic tech. I am now wondering if I was put off extras because the garage didn't want to fit them for that reason? I am using a £6 aux in BT device to stream music and receive calls, works fine but isn't integrated obviously. With the price for BT and media inputs its probably cheaper to get a whole new stereo.

RNS315 Satnav: Great to have a built in satnav, its a good system if a little dated feeling in design. I really hope they aren't putting these or the new T6. Traffic info works surprisingly well and I love Dab. Wow are the maps out of date though!!. In fact out of date is an understatement, there is a garage near my house that was knocked down at least 15 years ago, roundabouts that have never existed, whole parts of Wales were missing. If I had bought the satnav separate I'd be sending it back as not fit for purpose.

Got roofbars now too (cheers Martin) and looking forward to .getting kayaking in the spring :D Must admit I am going to need some steps to load it though.

oh and don't "use sunscreen". I wish I had been warned about this before the GF closed the door with it on her hand. If modern paint is so susceptible, it seems short sighted by VW to have a van designed for holidays and leisure that literally has no unpainted surfaces on any of the doors.

oh and don't "use sunscreen". I wish I had been warned about this before the GF closed the door with it on her hand. If modern paint is so susceptible, it seems short sighted by VW to have a van designed for holidays and leisure that literally has no unpainted surfaces on any of the doors.
Hi Matt - do
Hi Matt - i am looking for waterproof seat covers for my 3 seat beach - please let me know where you found them. My VW dealer cant get them ?. thanks

I got them from the shop on this site, Martin may be able to help you if they have none in stock.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg We have a Beach with a 2 seat bench and intended to do most of our cooking etc outside or in our Kyham shelter which we would only put up if we were staying more than 2 nights but we also enjoying lots of short winter trips but have found this year with all the rain it's not much fun cooking in the rain, putting the table up inside was fine but it takes up a lot of room and everything had to be put away at night as we tend to normally sleep down stairs. So we decided to get a SMALLER TABLE that is big enough for a couple of glasses of wine and a small cooker/kettle that could stay up when we go to bed and be ready to make tea in bed in the morning. "It has proved to be one of the best modifications we have made" we tend to leave it up all the time.

Mine's got a similar table (the full size one stores away but fits in the same place). I think the T4 Multivan has your set up???exctable.jpg As you say, plenty big enough for much of the time, and doesn't get in the way as much.

Back