Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Part number for overbed locker

Just a quick update. I think I have now managed to fix my issue with the overhead locker. I managed to remove the top catch eventually thanks to two very stubborn nuts :mad:. I then fitted a couple of washers on each of the bolts, which lowered the height of the catch. I then reassembled the catch using a couple of new nuts but also making sure I pushed the catch as far back as it would go whilst tightening it. I have now road tested the locker for a couple of weeks and so far it has not fallen down at all. Fingers crossed it stays this way.:bananadance

Hey guys anyone managed to fix the opening of the rear drower at all?Mine opens while driving and i have no idea how to fix this,opens and close without a problem it just wont stay shut.Any help appreciated.

Hi T6,

I wasn’t enthusiastic about the cost of a new (still flawed design) drawer, (T5) so I came up with the “temporary” solution shown below, which has been doing the job for quite a few years, without drilling or major alterations to the drawer/ceiling.

I used a short length of string/cord, the kind you can find in a sailing supplies shop/outdoor shop. Any strong thin kind will do (lace from a walking boot, etc).

The hook is from the same source, I think mine was part of a sail tie, used with bungee cord to wrap around sails to prevent flapping, etc. They might also be used for lifejackets, etc.

I needed to access the two nuts which attach the existing catch from above, to clamp the string, they are 10mm, I used a small Halfords socket set, a spanner would be too big.

The string length is “trial and error” to allow the hook to reach the handle, but not so short that it’s a struggle to undo. The hook lets the drawer sag about 1mm which is no problem for me. The driving position of the drawer is slightly open, so to open the drawer I first push the drawer fully closed, which slackens the hook and allows it to be unhooked from the handle.
The hook has some print on it “BEX England” which might help if tracking one down. There are probably better hooks in better colours available if needed.
A soft material will avoid damage to the catch/drawer.
If you prefer, the sailing supplies world produces all sorts of cleats which would do a better job, but might require drilling of the drawer, I used a small nylon one “RWO” make, to stop my roof shutter (over the front seats) from opening during driving.

4C1B823E-F661-44C5-B125-330DD5D94431.jpeg
The hook and cord clamped under the countersunk nuts.

E3B8B0C8-4CF2-4F12-87C0-EE2CD2B70162.jpeg
The drawer in slightly open position.

Hope this is helpful.

Back