Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California T5 owner, sticky rear locker

Mark Crowne

Mark Crowne

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi there, just become the proud owner of a new California T5, which is a wonderful vehicle.

One small point, the aircraft-style rear locker above the boot space seems to have a sticky hinge on the RHS, which stops the whole thing from operating as smoothly as it might.

Does anyone have any proven solutions for such a problem?

Could try some Silicone Spray. Odourless, Colourless and Non-Staining.

My van is 3 years old, and it still sticks - has done from new.

Try pushing the handle in a little before pulling it - normally does the trick.

Bit of a knack to opening ours I could not get it open when new did it this way and tend to still use it, It may seen odd but I tend to sit on the bench seat put my hands backward over my head push up with my hands on the handle it aways works and although it has loosened it 3 years ownership it is still stiff guess I would rather have it this way than throwing every thing out when doing an emergancy stop.

I Used to struggle with ours. Just look at how it works and go with that.
I find it fine now, it opens easily every time. Himself still struggles to open it.
It's just a knack to opening it. :rolleyes:

Same with ours, slight push upwards first then it opens easily......we just live with it ;)

Hi there, just become the proud owner of a new California T5, which is a wonderful vehicle.

One small point, the aircraft-style rear locker above the boot space seems to have a sticky hinge on the RHS, which stops the whole thing from operating as smoothly as it might.

Does anyone have any proven solutions for such a problem?

I had a problem with our left hand hinge which caused it to catch when opening/closing the locker. One the special captive nuts on the hinges guides came loose causing it to catch on the casing. I had to remove the whole shelf to re-tighten the screw and the special flat "nut" that ran in the guide. All the screws have what looks like loctite to stop them coming loose but this obviously failed on ours.

Yep... For the handle, if you push the whole drawer up slightly, the handle unlocks fine.

For opening... it works best if your force is symmetrical so you're pulling it directly forward and down, not to one side. (Same for the sliding rear seat...symmetrical force by sitting on it in the middle works best to move it. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had ours sorted by the dealer whilst under warranty - they had it in bits and reassembled. It has been much improved since though still a bit awkward to operate.

Back