Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New kid on the block

Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews

Vehicle
T6 Coast 204 4Motion
My wife and I, South Africans living in SA, are seasoned motorhomers and our last motorhome was a customized beast about 7.5m long and 3.2m high. We were camping some weeks prior to the lockdown when we first clapped eyes on a California Coast. We were smitten and were lucky to pick up a 2018 model here, since they are like hen's teeth here and imported in limited numbers. We patiently await the relaxation of some very stringent lockdown regulations here so that we can put our new baby through her paces, and I have piggy backed some great DIY ideas from this invaluable forum.

I have one small issue though, and wonder whether anyone has any bright ideas for me. Whilst our awning is very securely fastened to the vehicle, there is an annoying rattling sound during travel which is obviously coming from the awning. I have pushed a small piece of foam rubber into the awning just prior to closing, thinking that this might solve the problem but to no avail. Do any of you erudite California owners have a tip for me so that I can get rid of the noise?

Many thanks in advance, and thank you for having me on your forum.

Lot's of threads on this mysterious noise (one of many in a Cali) new wind out awnings should have a new special part to avoid the rattle. Olderones just lose the rubber padding in time witch starts the ratlle when in closed position and driving bumpy roads.
Start by reading some of these threads (using the search button:))

Welcome! Great to hear from you. Answers will be posted to your question about your awning issue. Its not uncommon to have rattles associated with the awning sadly. Ah! You beat me to it HC.
Mike......answers will follow!

Welcome on board Mike. This is what I do to stop the rattle from the awning - a small rok strap. Works for me
f9735f176599acdab4433b2aff58e9e2.jpg

Welcome Mike
I am sure mine rattles too however I can not hear it as we turn up the radio or got used to it?
However: Enjoy your new ride!

Mine is sat in the garage ... it can rattle away to it's heart's content in there!

Welcome Mike

Do you have the omnistor awning or is it a fiamma?

I know some easily fixed causes on the Fiamma.

Do you have the omnistor awning or is it a fiamma?

I know some easily fixed causes on the Fiamma.
I'M PRETTY SURE IT ISN'T A FIAMMA, BUT APART FROM THE ATTACHED PICS IT HAS NO MARKINGS SO SUSPECT IT MAY BE FACTORY FITTED?

IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9295.JPG

IMG_9296.JPG

That is the Thule one. Used to be Omnistor. It is the one VW sells as an original part.