Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Must Haves

Cali4nia

Cali4nia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi anyone recommend some must haves for my new purchase.
Cheers

A very large wallet :laugh2 :laugh2

All Calis should come with a Government Wealth Warning :eek:

Are you buying new - Brand New, New - already built - or second hand.

If you have the luxury of the spec sheet, then the general idea is to order all the bits that are only available when you buy the van:

The following appear to be forum must haves:

Privacy Glass
Front + Rear Parking Sensors
Awning black or silver

Some optional "must haves"
Towbar (if you need one is cheaper to fit in the factory than VW retrofit - although you can DIY if you are keen)
Cruise Control (although this can be retro-fitted)
Some of the geeky bits are a pain to add later - auto lights, auto wipers, Multi Function Steering wheel, but these will be personal preference

Obviously Engine, Gearbox, paint and Seat material should be chosen and there is no right or wrong answer here. Popular colours de jour are metallic grey and blue :)

Hope that helps

T

Hi all it's a 2010 model natural grey comes with privacy glass front and rear parking sensors 17 inch alloys and I think that's about it.
Any recommendations on seat covers roof cover and drive away awning would be welcome.
Any thoughts on side bars are these functional protection or just bad bling.
Cheers.

Appears to be a good vehicle with the basics covered. Does it have an awning? Most do, they are easy to fit, but not very common to find 2nd hand.

Inka seat covers are a bargain and do an excellent job (around £85 with VIP discount) - you can get black, grey or beige.

I don't have a roof cover or drive away awning. I think I will be looking for an awning next season as the kids get older and we need more space. Cover only required for very cold weather or extreme rain, and I have experienced neither yet :)

Not sure if side bars actually serve a practical function, but they are good bling :)

A map and a sense of wonder about the world.

And a bottle opener ;)

dan

It has the awning fitted we will probably need a drive away also.
I will give the bars a miss.

We have a map a vw bottle opener that came with my golf mk5.

I've just found someone selling a sense of humour about the world on flee bay with a million bids must be in demand that one.

Not sure on venturing abroad just yet as I will probably struggle at the first hurdle of setup...lol

Damn my glasses have stopped working.

Cali4nia said:
We have a map a vw bottle opener that came with my golf mk5.

I've just found someone selling a sense of humour about the world on flee bay with a million bids must be in demand that one.

Apologies, it was not my intention to offend.

I think you have the important bits.
We have side bars after wife scraped the sides; makes me feel better but not sure who hardcore they are. I do like the look though!

Some seem to think anything less than almost every option isn't good enough; it's pretty well specced even with no options.

No offence taken twenty one thirty five.
And none intended either.
I like a bit of banter it breaks the ice on these forums as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Update:

We have just been over to camper king conversion and bought a vango air kela.
Was a bit reluctant to buy something off tinternet without physically viewing and getting an idea of size.

All we need now is the Cali to go with it which I have opted for the end of the month due to my private plate retention soughting it self out at dvla.

Please be aware that with side bars mounted, you cannot use your standard jack to change a wheel anyamore!

I think if they are the vw style side bars then you can still use the jack
That's what vw told me when I handed over my money :laugh2

yes, the genuine VW ones ( and the exact copies) work fine with the standard jack. However some of the other ones you can end up having to carry a trolley jack round with you !

gaitoetnhof said:
Please be aware that with side bars mounted, you cannot use your standard jack to change a wheel anyamore!

Not if they are VW ones.