Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Essentials

A fire extinguisher was not standard on my California and given my predisposition to incinerate everything on sight I did feel it necessary to acquire one, if only for cosmetic reasons.

In case of fire I'm out of the van and let the motor insurance company pick up the bill, not my health insurance :shocked

Essentials -I agree with the above although I'm only just considering a type of portapotti now. I haven't wild camped so have had no need as yet....so fill the space with other 'essentials'.....
*Camping seat for outside
*Fold up step
*Levels
Spirit level
Windbreak (though not used much)...cheap on does
Quechua shelter as garden shed
Dog crate....vet bed is then my 'carpet'
Eagle Creek pack it bags...different colours for different clothing items eg knickers, sox, fleeces, dressy gear, etc...they make storage and finding clothes so easy
Ziplock bags! I use these everywhere, and label contents so that when they're empty I know what I need to refill them with: pasta, rice, muesli, dog food, foil, loo roll, etc etc

Start buying small containers of things - small is good! They can then be refilled using normal sized purchases eg coffee - the new wholebean instant coffee containers are great size.

There are thousands more ideas of 'essentials' and it will depend on the kind of camping you do

I forgot: tin opener, bottle opener, matches! And screw topped wine bottles!

Supermarkets are a good source of cheap stuff: cutlery, picnic plates, Tupperware,

no fire extingisher in 2012 as standard and I am with Jenny if there is a fire get out and stay out it is insured.
best extra ever bought FOLDING KETTLE

Last edited:
image.jpg How about a Lidl sugar land box
I always found the little hatch beside the seat drawer a pain to close
So I have taken it out, and the sugar land box slides in there, initially it will be a dustbin.

Dottie
* Camping seat for outside.
Why? When you already have 2 in the tailgate.

Dottie I believe has a converted T5 camper:thumb

I go along with most of what has been said here so far.
Mainly - don't jump in & buy everything you imagine you might need.
Try it first & see what you really want.

But among the stuff we wouldn't be without (may not apply to everybody) I would mention:
- Deflectors for front windows so you can have ventilation without water ingress when parked. Also makes slightly-open windows less obvious.
- Uribags for - well you can imagine what for: http://uribag.com/
- Straps with clips for ALWAYS having keys attached to trousers belt loop. You can't afford to be separated from Cali keys either inside or out.
- Boxes for the boot & the cupboards.
- Something for filling the water tank.
- Check-list used before every trip...

On the other hand, lots of stuff on our pre-delivery list has never been needed:
- Ploo or Porta-Potti.
- Leveling ramps.
- Awning.
- Hookup lead (except at home for regular top-ups).
- Waterproof keys.
- Hidden keys.
- Jump leads.
- Tow rope.

It all depends on how you end up using your Cali!

Levelling ramps (apart from the normal use) are also helpful in getting the spare wheel out from under the van.
We had to jack the van up last year to get the spare out. They fit neatly in the space beside the rear seat.
Now carry a small hydraulic bottle jack as well as I don't like the VW jack.

Some great suggestions here and thanks for the link to the seat covers Cyclopath. very very exciting!

image.jpeg I ordered them today, black with grey alcantara.
And do you like my cooker and fridge covers
A bit classier than my Lidl sweet box, it is non slip, very light
I am putting it in the cupboards to , to stop things slipping around.

image.jpeg

Fridge and hob covers a very good idea!

Volky, I have been reading the forum, learnt so much.
Another problem is locked out keys.
So another essential for me is a spare mechanical key
I can take it swimming , all sorts of options, just as an emergency to get in
It won't allow you to drive as not chipped
Local key cutter charges 7.50

I would suggest make do with stuff you already have at home for the first stay away & the decide what you need. Also would advise against buying much before first stay away.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tooth brush, kitesurfing kit and a clean pair of undercrackers.

Dottie I believe has a converted T5 camper:thumb

Correct....I forgot....found out again!

I love my levelling ramps. I seem to be given hilly pitches often, so out come the ramps.
I learned a lesson this summer: to concentrate, and not drive over the top of the....had to replace the gouged out undercarriage! Otherwise, they're great for sleeping flat!

Just planning what we actually need, now the Cali will be with us in 2 weeks...seems a tracker, spare wheel lock and seat covers are must-haves, as are storage boxes that neatly fit in the boot and a fire extinguisher, but what are the other must-haves? Do we need the starter pack offered for sale on this site? As soon as we get these sorted, I can see if there is money spare for a few of the Brandrup options!
I went for the Brandrup storage pouches behind ye driver and passenger's seats, down the side of the kitchen cabinet, in front of bench drawer, small window above fridge box and in the rear under the "closet. " Not cheap, ordered from Germany and saved approx £200 off the price if my dealership had ordered. Best decision and I have not regretted it one bit!!!

Great posts, everyone, thanks! We have invested in a double sleeping bag, but will wait to see just how hard the seat bed is before buying a mattress or 3. Re the seat covers, we're going down the Brandrup route but haven't quite decided which set...will use ordinary throws to keep the kids from ruining the originals in the meantime!
Seat bed is hard, try up top it is much more comfortable.

Got our beach since march. I've been very careful in selecting what to buy and what not, and I'm afraid I already bought some useless stuff (cab bunk bed for 3rd child).

Mattresses take up a lot of space. Of course it's important. But a self inflatable one could be a good alternative.
Carpets (at least in the back) make it tougher to use a brush.

I have not bought seat covers either:
- either expensive (€800 for 7 seater from california-camping, 10% VIP discount) or ugly
- I like the original seats. Hiding the original seats behind covers just feels bad.
- Kids can and probably will at some point spill milk and soup or throw up on the original seats. And I won't be happy when it happens. But it will happen anyway. It's a camper and we'll live in it. And the car will get scratches which is probably worse.
I may buy 2nd skin covers when the original seats are worn out. Suppose that's in 10 years. If the car is trashed or stolen before that, it's €800 less lost (Just my opinion, I know most here disagree).

So my essentials list
- storage boxes
- gas cooker (beach)
- hookup cable
- battery monitor
- spare antitheft
- washing bowl
- foldable extra table with 4 seats (we're 5)
- water container bag (beach)
- speaker upgrade
- bike rack

Other stuff I want/will buy soon
- bbq
- cali cosy
- window insulation
- handpresso coffee maker
- microfibre towels

Got our beach since march. I've been very careful in selecting what to buy and what not, and I'm afraid I already bought some useless stuff (cab bunk bed for 3rd child).

Mattresses take up a lot of space. Of course it's important. But a self inflatable one could be a good alternative.
Carpets (at least in the back) make it tougher to use a brush.

- either expensive (€800 for 7 seater from california-camping, 10% VIP discount) or ugly
- I like the original seats. Hiding the original seats behind covers just feels bad.
- Kids can and probably will at some point spill milk and soup or throw up on the original seats. And I won't be happy when it happens. But it will happen anyway. It's a camper and we'll live in it. And the car will get scratches which is probably worse.
I may buy 2nd skin covers when the original seats are worn out. Suppose that's in 10 years. If the car is trashed or stolen before that, it's €800 less lost (Just my opinion, I know most here disagree).

So my essentials list
- storage boxes
- gas cooker (beach)
- hookup cable
- battery monitor
- spare antitheft
- washing bowl
- foldable extra table with 4 seats (we're 5)
- water container bag (beach)
- speaker upgrade
- bike rack

Other stuff I want/will buy soon
- bbq
- cali cosy
- window insulation
- handpresso coffee maker
- microfibre towels
Hi Zera - appreciate the list - my beach is on order and will be thinking about the kit - we seem to have similar thoughts. can you tell me how you use the battery monitor ? - is it fixed in the vehicle ?.

what gas cooker do you recommend ? - what is your experience of the small aerosol cookers ?

do you have the 3 or 2 seater ? what storage boxes do you use ? do you have a fridge - thanks

i agree with your thoughts about the seats - what mats carpets do you recommend - thanks

Totally agree. You bought the vehicle for you and your family to use and I do not see the point in covering up the seats for the next owner. Cover them when you need/want to.

Hi Zera - appreciate the list - my beach is on order and will be thinking about the kit - we seem to have similar thoughts. can you tell me how you use the battery monitor ? - is it fixed in the vehicle ?.
I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATTERY-V...083734?hash=item1c5bd9c916:g:8GcAAOxy~ilSSUMr
I still have to decide where to install it.
You could also just buy one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8KTBI2/?tag=eliteelect-21
But they don't fit the ash tray socket I'm afraid (and the dashboard top one is connected to leisure battery)
what gas cooker do you recommend ? - what is your experience of the small aerosol cookers ?
Can't help you with that but I'm sure others can.
do you have the 3 or 2 seater ? what storage boxes do you use ? do you have a fridge - thanks
3 seater
there is a topic about boxes
I am using an old 12v coolbox. But I guess I'll go for a Waeco some day.

Some more useful stuff thanks! Our Cali has arrived :) and we have bought Inka waterproofs for Winter. The van is for the family but I couldn't bear to see the seats ruined in weeks...carpets have come...boxes in...cover is on...coffee machine ready to go! Whole family excited!

These ar the German seat covers, faux leather and alcantara, I git the link for an previous post on the four . They also do leather ones, but they are really expensive.
These are the ones I am thinking of getting,and as Martin sais , 10 % off for bio members

http://www.california-camping.de/vw...ifornia-comfortline-kunstleder-alcantara.html
Hi Cyclopath, did you go-ahead with an order for these seat covers? I am thinking of buying some as well but it would be great to hear opinions of anyone who already has a set