Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Essentials

"These inexpensive" seat covers for €599.00 (reduced from €699.00) - well some of you have much deeper pockets than I. It also implies these are the ones to have if your children are in the habit of trashing the interior of your Cali. I would rather keep €599 in my short little pockets and back hand the kids.

"These inexpensive" seat covers for €599.00 (reduced from €699.00) - well some of you have much deeper pockets than I. It also implies these are the ones to have if your children are in the habit of trashing the interior of your Cali. I would rather keep €599 in my short little pockets and back hand the kids.

The Inka ones for around £120 are absolutely fine, they are waterproof and ours have been on since day one, if they ever got ruined (not sure how they would) we would just buy some more.

http://www.comfortzleisure.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=101&product_id=118

Hi Johnny , yep, I got them, took a little time to fit and get straight.
I am really pleased with them.
I like the look.....I will pop out in a min and take a pic for you.
We have had a few spills on them, and they have simply been wiped and look as good as new.
Unlike the mattress, I have a VW one, and the bottom end just sticks out from the quilt cover it is in,and a small drip of water and it looks like I have been incontinent.(and I haven't). it won't wipe off, so would need washing...like material seat covers would have.
Also , I have done a few 5 hr drives, and no sweaty back and bum, as I get with waterproof nylon covers(sorry ladies, not a nice image).
Not cheap, but will add value if I ever were to sell.
I am happy

Goodness,

Seat covers again ...

whatever floats your boat, my preference is nowt and re-cover the seats when they get so bad that I can no longer live with the shame every time that I open a door and let the world gaze in on the vision of utter filth.

Until then,

"Oh! That fetching red-coloured splodge on my nice grey seats? Pop-art darling, one must keep up with the times. Now, more wine?"

I just hate stained seats.
I guess it is from working in geriatric hospitals, and visiting nursing homes.
Where, I assure you, you don't want to sit on a stained seats.

Thanks Cyclopath, the seats look great and do not look like covers. I am convinced now as I have read other positive reviews. I have a 9yo boy and a dog (which will both be wet, muddy and have feet on the seats at some point) and I will drive them and myself crazy if I need to be on seat watch duty all the time. I think they add to the value of the van aswell and are a lower cost option than re-upholstering or factory fitted ones.

Johnny,
The rug works really well,
It is thin enough to allow me to open the draw without moving it.
It stops dirt getting down onto the rails
It absorbs dirt and wet, ...and as you say can be shook out
You can't slide the bed seats over it
If you look closely, there is a mat I front of it, that is I think, 50 mmx100mm,
That comes as part of a set.
So when I want to put them bed down, I slide my rug forwards over the mat, and slide bed
I didn't like the look of the rail fitted rigs...a personal thing I guess,
Just less homely

Last edited:
I just hate stained seats.
I guess it is from working in geriatric hospitals, and visiting nursing homes.
Where, I assure you, you don't want to sit on a stained seats.

So what do you do with a stained cover?

Joking.

They do look very nice on but I think that me being me I could end up worrying about them as much as the original seats.

Maby Jen,
But being relaxed about them is the reason for having them.
My 12 yr old estate car has leather seats that have had potty training failures, fish and chips, Coke, coffee, my dirty bottom after cycling in the wet with no mudguards, slowly dissolving dropped sweets,
And a quick wipe and they still look as good as new.
And we use the kitchen a lot in the van.
I love the smell of frying bacon on a cold morning.....infact just had a sarnie after sleeping in the van in the sleet storm last night. ........and frying pans spit, and bacon gets dropped, or fingers touch bacon then seat.
Anyway, I am happyWith them.

The stained cover.......I will turn it over!

Thought I'd write a quick update as we FINALLY got out with the kids to try the Cali experience ... and it was great. Thanks to all the advice, wine was chilled (an essential), carpets made everything snug and the mini-Hoover (opted for a Vax Gator - cheap and worked well) kept the kids' mess at bay. The waterproof Inka seat covers, though not the prettiest it has to be said, are a godsend - especially as I was the one to grind chocolate into them :)! Plastic storage boxes are v useful for kit and I've not overdone it on putting in things we don't need. Yet. Mattress topper, insulated screen cover, and a roof topper are on are "to buy" list now, but the downstairs bed was much more comfortable than we expected. Did invest in a Kampa Khazi, but that was a mistake...it's huge! Anyone just use a bucket for night-time emergencies, or is that not a Cali thing?! And there are some Brandrup storage things that would be great, if we could get them...

Thought I'd write a quick update as we FINALLY got out with the kids to try the Cali experience ... and it was great. Thanks to all the advice, wine was chilled (an essential), carpets made everything snug and the mini-Hoover (opted for a Vax Gator - cheap and worked well) kept the kids' mess at bay. The waterproof Inka seat covers, though not the prettiest it has to be said, are a godsend - especially as I was the one to grind chocolate into them :)! Plastic storage boxes are v useful for kit and I've not overdone it on putting in things we don't need. Yet. Mattress topper, insulated screen cover, and a roof topper are on are "to buy" list now, but the downstairs bed was much more comfortable than we expected. Did invest in a Kampa Khazi, but that was a mistake...it's huge! Anyone just use a bucket for night-time emergencies, or is that not a Cali thing?! And there are some Brandrup storage things that would be great, if we could get them...

Bucket, yes, we use the inside from our stainless steel pedal bin at night, boil water rinse and antibacterial spray before being put back in bin, no 1's only of course!

Bucket, yes, we use the inside from our stainless steel pedal bin at night, boil water rinse and antibacterial spray before being put back in bin, no 1's only of course!

Don't use one of those silicone folding buckets..........

They are not female friendly :sad

We use this for emergencies...

http://boginabag.net.au/

Doubles as a spare 'guest stool' where you play a game of how long before they realise they're sitting on the loo :D

The porta potti is one of the essentials , can't belive you guys pee in a bucket at night :headbang leave it in the van , and trow it out it the mornig....?!

What the hell is wrong with a decent chemical toilet ?

The porta potti is one of the essentials , can't belive you guys pee in a bucket at night :headbang leave it in the van , and trow it out it the mornig....?!

What the hell is wrong with a decent chemical toilet ?
Having just received my Thetford Porta Potti 335 Qube Toilet courtesy of Amazon I am pleased to find some confirmation bias. Utility tent evidently being delivered today. Mind you it is just going to be me and the Mrs in the Cali so we have room for a little luxury. Been known to stoop lower and use less technical devices.

Yeah, that's the Kampa loo we bought thanks, but when space is so limited it seems like a lot to give up in case of emergencies! Think we'll only take it along if we know we're likely to be somewhere wild or loo-less.

The 335 could have been tailor-made for the Cali the way it fits so neatly between the downstairs bed and back of the passenger seat.

With my padded cover that I made for it I also have a useful comfortable stool to sit on when rummaging around in the cupboards or rear drawer, and for those moments when French customs chase me down the A1 with blue lights flashing, convinced that I must be carrying half the worlds supply of tobacco, the look on their faces when they lifted off the cover obviously concealing the "box of contraband", an essential diversion :D

I have only today been given the concept design from my talented other half for the padded 335, (patent pending) to add a dash of sophistication to the very grey Cali. Colour to be decided !

Mike