Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Monty's First Outing to Scotland

ClanTimmins

ClanTimmins

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello everyone

I had said I would post on our first trip to Scotland so here goes....

First of all we are Scottish although have lived in the Midlands for many years. We have recently bought our first California and I have already posted about our set-up in the van (which we love). One of the things that you need when you are going to do a trip round Scotland is a good map. Satnavs are fine but you need a sense of where you are in terms of the country you are visiting and the scale of it and I recommend Philip's Navigator Scotland. It is compact, not expensive and will be your constant reference point throughout your trip. If you need inspiration then Martin Dorey's Take the Slow Road Scotland is very good although we didn't specifically use it for our little trip. If you want to avoid the midges then travel in May or September as there are not so many of the little blighters around. We bought Avon Skin so Soft but didn't need to use it. We travelled from the 6th to the 10th May.

So this trip is quite a short one taking around five nights but you could easily double it by spending two nights in each location. We just didn't have the time but would have loved it if we had. It's a trip from Loch Lomond round the Argyll coast taking in Ardnamurchan and then up to Mallaig a hop and skip through Skye to Glenelg and back to Fort William and Glencoe before heading home. I have tried to attach some photos!

Day 1: The first night was in Helensburgh just north of Glasgow (that's where my sister lives and we didn't spend it in the van but in her lovely home!). If we weren't staying there we would have camped at the beautifully situated Caravan and Camping Club site at Luss where we have stayed before in our tent. https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...asgow/luss-camping-and-caravanning-club-site/. It is right on the shores of Loch Lomond and is perfect for a Cali as you can walk into Luss where there are lovely places to eat and drink and there are trips on the Loch and there is simply outstanding natural beauty everywhere to enjoy. Just a note that 'wild camping' is not allowed in Loch Lomond National park as unfortunately this has been abused by many people and so permits are needed if you wish to camp outside a campsite.

So Day 2 is setting off from Luss on the A82 and following the side of Loch Lomond to Tarbert taking the A83 and skirting the top of Loch Long and then on to Inverary the very pretty town on Loch Fyne which is a nice place to stop for coffee (or oysters of which there are plenty!). At Inverary we took the A819 which takes you up to the top of Loch Awe where we joined the A85 to Connell on the shores of Loch Etive. If you had more time then you could carry on to Oban which is such a lovely place and is a good jumping off point for many of the Caledonian McBrayne ferries to the islands. We didn't have a lot of time so we headed North from Connell on the A828 on this beautiful Argyll coastal route and stopped for lunch at the Creagan Inn on the shores of Loch Creran. I can't recommend this place highly enough and it has one of the best Cullen skinks I've tasted (smoked haddock chowder for those who aren't familiar). https://www.creaganinn.co.uk/

Onward and upwards on the A828 to Ballachulish taking the road along the shores of Loch Linnhe. When you cross the Ballachulish bridge and you look right you are looking up Loch Leven while Loch Linnhe stretches to your left. If you had a lot of time then you could take a diversion around Loch Leven spend a lovely night at Kinlochleven where there are stunning views from this campsite http://www.kinlochlevencaravans.com. We've camped in our tent here a number of years ago.

So over the bridge and on up the A82 to Corran where we crossed on the Corran ferry to Ardgour. It's a short crossing and no need to book as it leaves every 20 minutes. We love ferries and this is a cutie! From Ardgour we headed west on the A861 to Strontian on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. The tip of the Ardnamurchan peninsula is the most westerly point in the UK mainland. We spent the night in Strontian at Sunart Camping. http://www.sunartcamping.co.uk/ We really loved this little campsite with it's little bothy with a log burning stove, piles of maps and a kettle and microwave for campers to use. The couple are very friendly and you can also hire bikes at the campsite. It is a short walk to the shores of Loch Sunart and Strontian village. Here's our little beauty all set up!

There is a small hotel in the village where you can go for a drink or something to eat and also a short walk away is the very posh Kilcamb Lodge which has two restaurants. We have camped here before and from Strontian you can take the road to Lochaline and go as day foot passengers with or without bikes on the short ferry crossing to Tobermory on Mull. All the roads we travelled on were not busy. I would go soon if I were you before this mini tour gets a write up as the Argyll 150 or something like that(!) and everyone descends on it. You could easily spend a few days around here. It's lovely. Here is sunset over Loch Sunart.

Day 3 We left Strontian and drove west to Salen where we stopped for coffee https://www.salenjettyshop.com/. This little shop has unbelievably delicious cakes and coffee and a thousand other things you just wouldn't expect in a tiny village shop. As we left, the fish van arrived outside selling a wide range of fresh fish to the locals. It was better stocked than most fishmongers with huge whole lemon sole and lobsters and gigantic prawns. (The same van came to one of the campsites later in the trip). We then carried on north to Loch Ailort on the A861 and then we took the A830 to Morar where we camped at Camusdarach beach campsite http://www.camusdarach.co.uk/. This was one of the beaches used in the filming of Local Hero and it is just stunning. We enjoyed the campsite very much but it isn't cheap. I think we paid about £30 for the night but it was worth it. We went for a walk along the beach at 8.30am and had it all to ourselves! Amazing!

In the evening we went to Mallaig for fish and chips in the Steam Inn and the food was delicious. The truth is you can't get bad fish and chips in Mallaig and a takeaway from Jaffy's, wandering around the harbour would be equally lovely. We met a lovely Cali owner from Germany who had the most organised set up in her Beach. Every box labelled with precise detail!

Part two to follow as unable to post whole trip....

IMG_20190506_123610722.jpg

1559501467278.png

1559502159087.png

1559502188388.png

1559502372836.png

Here is the second part of our little trip and sorry as some of the photos are also in the first part... (I don't really know how to do attachments!)

Day 4 We drove to Mallaig and bought some stuff to barbecue that night and then boarded the ferry to Armadale in Skye. In high summer you need to book ahead as places get filled but we were fine and got a slightly later crossing in the afternoon. There were some seals around the harbour which caused a stir. Skye is really beautiful and you could spend a lovely few days exploring. We drove north on the A851 and then took the road to Kyle of Lochalsh but turned off before that to Kylerhea to take the ferry to Glenelg. This is the original Skye ferry and is, I think, the last turntable ferry operating in the UK. It is not for the fainthearted as they do cram the vehicles in - we were absolutely sure our little Monty was going to be severely dented or scrathed. It was fine in the end but check out the photo! https://skyeferry.co.uk/

View attachment 45809

Glenelg is just beautiful. We stopped for a drink in the Glenelg Inn which is very busy and you need to book if you want to eat here. They have live music and the fire is on all the time. We stayed in a remote campsite in a deserted glen three miles from Glenelg and found it impossible to contact the campsite owner to try to book. It's called Moyle Park Campsite and I can't seem to copy the link. When we turned up and there was a sign to say he'll be round later to collect payment. He has a croft next door and had no phone signal all day! It's a pretty basic site but the shower is hot and who cares when you're in the most beautiful place in the world and the lambs are your neighbours and the dawn chorus is amazing (although the cuckoo was pushing his luck I've got to be honest!). We met some nice people too (there were only four units camping that night). We had a delicious barbecue in the evening. There's lots to do round here and we did visit the ancient brochs nearby. Here's the campsite in the top right of the photo!
View attachment 45805

Day 5 The sun shone as we headed towards the Ratagan forest and Shiel Bridge. The views here of the five sisters of Kintail (the mountains) and the green water of Loch Duich is the stuff of postcards and screensavers. Just stunning.
View attachment 45806

We travelled south on the A87 to Invergarry where we stopped for lunch. We carried on south to Fort William and stopped that night, literally on the shores of Loch Linnhe in an immaculately run Caravan Club site near Onich. https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-sites/scotland/highlands/bunree-caravan-club-site/ This year we have joined both the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan club just to see how much we use them. The site was full but we didn't feel too oppressed by the gigantic units surrounding us as we were well spaced and the views were incredible. At this site we were not far from the Corran ferry to Ardnamurchan so we have come full circle. The fish van we saw in Salen visits this campsite too! We walked to the Inchree waterfalls from the campsite and had we more time, I would have loved to go on the gondola to the top of Ben Nevis.

Day 6 We visited Glencoe visitor centre and the parking fee of £4 is the entrance fee as well. There is a Camping and Caravanning club site at Glencoe which also looks good. But we were heading back to Helensburgh and this time we went inland through Glencoe down one of the bleakest and most beautiful roads in Scotland. There is an air of tragedy whatever the weather. The road takes you past Bridge of Orchy and Tyndrum and then down the side of Loch Lomond. We saw an amazing double rainbow on the loch.

So that's it! We had a terrific time. The couple we met in deserted Glenelg had been doing part of the NC500 in their little campervan and just found some parts overrun with 'great whites' and said that even in early May Applecross was 'heaving'. We have been many times before the NC500 when it really wasn't too busy. There have been some really discouraging reports such as this in last week's Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...h-coast-500-route-speeding-congestion-protest. It seems to have been a victim of its own success. There are however lovely places to go such as this! Do ask any questions!

Hello everyone

I had said I would post on our first trip to Scotland so here goes....

First of all we are Scottish although have lived in the Midlands for many years. We have recently bought our first California and I have already posted about our set-up in the van (which we love). One of the things that you need when you are going to do a trip round Scotland is a good map. Satnavs are fine but you need a sense of where you are in terms of the country you are visiting and the scale of it and I recommend Philip's Navigator Scotland. It is compact, not expensive and will be your constant reference point throughout your trip. If you need inspiration then Martin Dorey's Take the Slow Road Scotland is very good although we didn't specifically use it for our little trip. If you want to avoid the midges then travel in May or September as there are not so many of the little blighters around. We bought Avon Skin so Soft but didn't need to use it. We travelled from the 6th to the 10th May.

So this trip is quite a short one taking around five nights but you could easily double it by spending two nights in each location. We just didn't have the time but would have loved it if we had. It's a trip from Loch Lomond round the Argyll coast taking in Ardnamurchan and then up to Mallaig a hop and skip through Skye to Glenelg and back to Fort William and Glencoe before heading home. I have tried to attach some photos!

Day 1: The first night was in Helensburgh just north of Glasgow (that's where my sister lives and we didn't spend it in the van but in her lovely home!). If we weren't staying there we would have camped at the beautifully situated Caravan and Camping Club site at Luss where we have stayed before in our tent. https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...asgow/luss-camping-and-caravanning-club-site/. It is right on the shores of Loch Lomond and is perfect for a Cali as you can walk into Luss where there are lovely places to eat and drink and there are trips on the Loch and there is simply outstanding natural beauty everywhere to enjoy. Just a note that 'wild camping' is not allowed in Loch Lomond National park as unfortunately this has been abused by many people and so permits are needed if you wish to camp outside a campsite.

So Day 2 is setting off from Luss on the A82 and following the side of Loch Lomond to Tarbert taking the A83 and skirting the top of Loch Long and then on to Inverary the very pretty town on Loch Fyne which is a nice place to stop for coffee (or oysters of which there are plenty!). At Inverary we took the A819 which takes you up to the top of Loch Awe where we joined the A85 to Connell on the shores of Loch Etive. If you had more time then you could carry on to Oban which is such a lovely place and is a good jumping off point for many of the Caledonian McBrayne ferries to the islands. We didn't have a lot of time so we headed North from Connell on the A828 on this beautiful Argyll coastal route and stopped for lunch at the Creagan Inn on the shores of Loch Creran. I can't recommend this place highly enough and it has one of the best Cullen skinks I've tasted (smoked haddock chowder for those who aren't familiar). https://www.creaganinn.co.uk/

Onward and upwards on the A828 to Ballachulish taking the road along the shores of Loch Linnhe. When you cross the Ballachulish bridge and you look right you are looking up Loch Leven while Loch Linnhe stretches to your left. If you had a lot of time then you could take a diversion around Loch Leven spend a lovely night at Kinlochleven where there are stunning views from this campsite http://www.kinlochlevencaravans.com. We've camped in our tent here a number of years ago.

So over the bridge and on up the A82 to Corran where we crossed on the Corran ferry to Ardgour. It's a short crossing and no need to book as it leaves every 20 minutes. We love ferries and this is a cutie! From Ardgour we headed west on the A861 to Strontian on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. The tip of the Ardnamurchan peninsula is the most westerly point in the UK mainland. We spent the night in Strontian at Sunart Camping. http://www.sunartcamping.co.uk/ We really loved this little campsite with it's little bothy with a log burning stove, piles of maps and a kettle and microwave for campers to use. The couple are very friendly and you can also hire bikes at the campsite. It is a short walk to the shores of Loch Sunart and Strontian village. Here's our little beauty all set up!
View attachment 45803

There is a small hotel in the village where you can go for a drink or something to eat and also a short walk away is the very posh Kilcamb Lodge which has two restaurants. We have camped here before and from Strontian you can take the road to Lochaline and go as day foot passengers with or without bikes on the short ferry crossing to Tobermory on Mull. All the roads we travelled on were not busy. I would go soon if I were you before this mini tour gets a write up as the Argyll 150 or something like that(!) and everyone descends on it. You could easily spend a few days around here. It's lovely. Here is sunset over Loch Sunart.
View attachment 45814

Day 3 We left Strontian and drove west to Salen where we stopped for coffee https://www.salenjettyshop.com/. This little shop has unbelievably delicious cakes and coffee and a thousand other things you just wouldn't expect in a tiny village shop. As we left, the fish van arrived outside selling a wide range of fresh fish to the locals. It was better stocked than most fishmongers with huge whole lemon sole and lobsters and gigantic prawns. (The same van came to one of the campsites later in the trip). We then carried on north to Loch Ailort on the A861 and then we took the A830 to Morar where we camped at Camusdarach beach campsite http://www.camusdarach.co.uk/. This was one of the beaches used in the filming of Local Hero and it is just stunning. We enjoyed the campsite very much but it isn't cheap. I think we paid about £30 for the night but it was worth it. We went for a walk along the beach at 8.30am and had it all to ourselves! Amazing!
View attachment 45807

In the evening we went to Mallaig for fish and chips in the Steam Inn and the food was delicious. The truth is you can't get bad fish and chips in Mallaig and a takeaway from Jaffy's, wandering around the harbour would be equally lovely. We met a lovely Cali owner from Germany who had the most organised set up in her Beach. Every box labelled with precise detail!

Part two to follow as unable to post whole trip....

View attachment 45793

View attachment 45800

View attachment 45805

View attachment 45806

View attachment 45809
Enjoyable read, thank you. We love Scotland & go a coupe of times a year so are familiar with a number of the routes you mentioned. We are back up there for three & a half weeks in September :)

Amazing we live by St Andrews and have been to most of these places. Loved following your trip. Cant wait for part two, l hope you may consider a you tube blog. Would love to follow your adventures.

So glad you enjoyed Moyle. Would you believe that we just sold the white cottage at the top of the lane! Yep, we lived there until January this year and of course, Ronnie, the crofter is a decent bloke. What a pleasant surprise! No coincidence that we bought the California in the same month.

Amazing we live by St Andrews and have been to most of these places. Loved following your trip. Cant wait for part two, l hope you may consider a you tube blog. Would love to follow your adventures.
Thanks! Part two is actually part of the same thread so hopefully you can find it! I'm not brilliant at posting things!

Thanks! Part two is actually part of the same thread so hopefully you can find it! I'm not brilliant at posting things!
Thanks for posting @ClanTimmins fab adventure- we are spending 2 weeks last June first July on west coast so fingers crossed minimal midges .:thumb

So glad you enjoyed Moyle. Would you believe that we just sold the white cottage at the top of the lane! Yep, we lived there until January this year and of course, Ronnie, the crofter is a decent bloke. What a pleasant surprise! No coincidence that we bought the California in the same month.
Well it really is a small world. We really loved Moyle and plan to go back again!