Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on wild camping at Loch Lomond

S

Sue G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,
We are planning our first trip up to Scotland and for one of the nights we wanted to wild camp at Loch Lomond. I just wondered whether anyone had any experience/tips of the best places to stay. Does it feel a relatively safe place to wild camp as this is our first time as normally we go onto campsites. From reading on the internet I'm aware that the laws changed as to where you can wild camp but I seemed to read conflicting information on whether restrictions end at the end or September or October. Also might we still encounter any midges then or should we be safe. I seem to manage to attract the little menaces!
As always, any thoughts gratefully received.
Many thanks Sue

Hi everyone,
We are planning our first trip up to Scotland and for one of the nights we wanted to wild camp at Loch Lomond. I just wondered whether anyone had any experience/tips of the best places to stay. Does it feel a relatively safe place to wild camp as this is our first time as normally we go onto campsites. From reading on the internet I'm aware that the laws changed as to where you can wild camp but I seemed to read conflicting information on whether restrictions end at the end or September or October. Also might we still encounter any midges then or should we be safe. I seem to manage to attract the little menaces!
Many thanks Sue

We sort-of wild camped at Loch Lomond last night on our way home from the Outer Hebrides (where we wild camped every night - our first real experience of this too). Last night we stayed in a "pub stay" at the Slanj restaurant in Tarbet (food OK, beer excellent and car park fine - half a dozen campers and motorhomes there over night). This morning we discovered that a LOT of motorhomes had obviously camped overnight in the big car park next to the shore in Tarbet - follow the signs for the booking office for Loch Lomond cruises. There is a cafe there that opens at 8am, does good bacon butties and has loos. I picked up a leaflet there that suggested that the camping zones were in place from March to September and "only cover 4% of the national park - however, this seemed to cover all the bits where one might want to wild camp loch-side.

I can't comment on the midgies, sorry.

The right to roam is widely misunderstood. It does not extend to motor homes, so there is no right to camp in a Cali anywhere In Scotland. Having said that, it is widely tolerated and in my experience very straightforward most of the time. Turn up late, leave no mess, depart early. The Loch Lomond area is tricky because it's so busy. I usually drive straight through. Rest and Be Thankful is a good spot, a bit further north. Use google earth to take virtual road trip if you want to find quiet places to stop. Do not be tempted to use the many car pull ins on the A82, you will not get a restful nights sleep due to the traffic. There should not be too much trouble with midges at this time of year. It's a wonderful time to tour Scotland; enjoy! Hope this helps.

Charles

There are plenty of pull-ins and lay-bys along the A82 which runs along the west side of Loch Lomond.
I agree with the above post, they are noisy overnight.
But if this doesn't bother you or if you have proper ear plugs, they are perfectly positioned a few meters from the water and a good staging post.
The car park at Tarbet (Wind Witch's post) is less noisy and a recent development.

It's big lorries that cause most of the noise, the A82 being the life line between north and south on the west side of the country and the fact that the rail lines are hardly used for freight.

Hi everyone,
Many thanks Sue

Agree with all the above and I'd suggest from my experience there will still be midges around so best to prepared.

Thats for the great replies, that's really helpful.

I've used cashel campsite when restrictions are on March - October and Rowardennan peir in winter wild camping with no problems.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Eventually decided to book into Cashel campsite (thanks mucksmuff) and wild camping for another trip but all your suggestions worth knowing for future visits.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Eventually decided to book into Cashel campsite (thanks mucksmuff) and wild camping for another trip but all your suggestions worth knowing for future visits.

Highly recommend Oak Tree Inn just down the road 5 min drive or 30-40min walk in Balmaha excellent food also a handy carpark over the road for a cheeky overnighter;)

Hi there, we've stayed at the Beinglas Farm Campsite, its right at the top of the loch, it's about 5mins past the Ardlui marina/hotel on the rhs.
It's a favourite with the West Highland Way walkers, I can well recommend getting a bite to eat there.

But I've heard Cashel is decent too.