Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Touring the western islands of Scotland - advice?

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We are taking the Cali up to north west Scotland next week, and plan to explore the western isles over a period of about 10 days. The rough plan is to head via Loch Lomond to Fort William, then on to Mallaig where we will get the ferry across to Skye. We will buy an island hopper ticket. We'll spend about 3 days on Skye, then get the ferry across to North Uist, then down to Benbecula, South Uist and Barra. Then back up to Harris and Lewis, before getting the ferry back to Ullapool on the mainland. The route back to Yorkshire will be via Inverness and Edinburgh. Does anyone who has explored these islands have any good advice about good campsites or wild camping locations? Also, any general advice about places of interest not to be missed. We are just hoping for a window of midgeless good weather!! Many thanks.

Sorry, I'm typing on an iPhone so this is a bit short & sweet but have a search on this forum for Hebrides and you should find a post I put on about our trip through the islands in about April last year. I would GP again like a shot...

Hi Tim, yes I think there was a thread about sites on the Western Isles a couple of months ago. I'm also on my iPhone so can't find it right now.

I'd recommend Seilebost (S. Harris) for great beachside camping. Just a pound or two in an honesty box. Also, go to Hushinish beach (SW Harris nr Scarp) and see if you can wild camp here - a magical spot right at the end of the road with a gorgeous beach.

Mor generally, 'Scotland the Best' is the only guide book you'll ever need. Pete Irvine really knows Scotland's hidden (and not so hidden) gems. Take his advice on where to eat, walks etc and you won't go far wrong.

Have a great time !

Thank you both for your advice. We are now equipped with all the OS maps, guide books and websites. I'll report on our trip on our return.

Ewan said:
Mor generally, 'Scotland the Best' is the only guide book you'll ever need. Pete Irvine really knows Scotland's hidden (and not so hidden) gems. Take his advice on where to eat, walks etc and you won't go far wrong.

Just wanted to say what a great book this is that you recommended. We went to Scotland for a week last week, and the book was a great resource to have, the format is excellent, so thanks!

That's great to hear - glad you like it. We've relied on it for years for sound advice.

Just done a week in Mull (one night in Iona) with wife, our two young kids (18 months and almost 4 years) and a dog - absolutely FANTASTIC!

The weather changes incredibly quickly so be prepared, pack the mozzie spray and ENJOY!