Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

locked out, far from home

4Corners

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Keys are locked inside and we are on a sunny island far from automobile clubs or official garages, and have come to the conclusion that we must help ourselves. does Anyone have any tips to share regarding removal of the sliding window in the sliding door, from the outside without special tools? Yes, you read it right. We need to break in, causing minimal damage and plenty of posts discuss replacement of this window. It seems to be the weakest point that keeps the old girl drivable, albeit with a bin bag over the window..Failing that, we might try to jimmy the door with a wire but that old technique from the movies must surely be impossible in any car less than 20yo?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Before breaking the side sliding window try pushing a wire coat hanger through a gap in the window and see if you can get it to pull on the release. SOmeone reported here that is how they gained entrance in similar circumstances. GL

Keys are locked inside and we are on a sunny island far from automobile clubs or official garages, and have come to the conclusion that we must help ourselves. does Anyone have any tips to share regarding removal of the sliding window in the sliding door, from the outside without special tools? Yes, you read it right. We need to break in, causing minimal damage and plenty of posts discuss replacement of this window. It seems to be the weakest point that keeps the old girl drivable, albeit with a bin bag over the window..Failing that, we might try to jimmy the door with a wire but that old technique from the movies must surely be impossible in any car less than 20yo?
If the vehicle has been locked, without turning off the internal alarms and hence Deadlocks then using a folded parcel strap or wire to grab the handle and pull twice to overcome will be impossible.
If you have Travel Insurance I would call them first. If they cannot help then they can give permission to remove/smash a window to gain access and pay for necessary repairs.
If the roof is up then you could pull the bellows out to gain accesss.

Maybe the old technique might work.. the transporter is about 20 years old :D
Seriously, I don’t have a clue how you can open your cali, sorry.

Take it the roof is down

Can you actually see the keys?

I had the same 3 years ago on my T6. Keys in ignition, headlights on, doors locked. Fortunately still under warrantee so we called VW assistance. Eu cover and they found someone 45 minutes away to ‘break in’. They opened in less the 2 minutes.

I can tell you how they did it, but not on an open forum.

I had the same 3 years ago on my T6. Keys in ignition, headlights on, doors locked. Fortunately still under warrantee so we called VW assistance. Eu cover and they found someone 45 minutes away to ‘break in’. They opened in less the 2 minutes.

I can tell you how they did it, but not on an open forum.
The OP is a VIP member so you can send a secure Personal Message or Conversation. Only works between VIP members.

One for after this is over as you probably have more important things to deal with: can you tell us how you got locked out? (So I try not to do the same thing…)

One for after this is over as you probably have more important things to deal with: can you tell us how you got locked out? (So I try not to do the same thing…)
Lock your van with a door open and put the keys down in the van. Shut the door.

Lock your van with a door open and put the keys down in the van. Shut the door.
So I’ve just tried and it doesn’t work with the driver’s door (the van won’t lock when the driver’s door is open) but it indeed works with either of the passenger doors (you can lock the van while the door is open - and then get locked out when you close the door).

I’m baffled. It’s an incredibly stupid thing to allow. Why would VW allow locking doors that aren’t closed? It’s pretty obvious it will end up in tears.

I did the same - the AA man managed to pick the lock, but needed lots of lube as heavy grease still in the tumblers from new - most of the time the actual keys are never used in the barrels because of plip. Fiddly, but he was in in about 20mins

I’m baffled. It’s an incredibly stupid thing to allow. Why would VW allow locking doors that aren’t closed? It’s pretty obvious it will end up in tears.
Vw can’t cater for all the idiots.

It works the same as every other vehicle we own ( that has door locks) You can lock it before every passenger has shut their door & when the final door is shut the vehicle locks.

It works the same as every other vehicle we own ( that has door locks) You can lock it before every passenger has shut their door & when the final door is shut the vehicle locks.
A simple 15 / 5 second timeout would pretty much tick all the boxes and avoid most of the heartache.

As far as I can tell your VW will still execute a stored lock command a day after you have accidentally pushed the button.

If the vehicle has been locked, without turning off the internal alarms and hence Deadlocks then using a folded parcel strap or wire to grab the handle and pull twice to overcome will be impossible.
If you have Travel Insurance I would call them first. If they cannot help then they can give permission to remove/smash a window to gain access and pay for necessary repairs.
If the roof is up then you could pull the bellows out to gain accesss.
Appreciate this suggestion @WelshGas, we tried motor insurer and they were FA help. Didn’t occur to me to call travel insurance, we’ll call them before we attack the sliding window…

Appreciate this suggestion @WelshGas, we tried motor insurer and they were FA help. Didn’t occur to me to call travel insurance, we’ll call them before we attack the sliding window…
Be aware that if the doors are deadlocked, which is the normal state after locking if you haven't disabled it on the button on the pillar. Smashing a small window at the side will only help if you can directly reach the key through it. The door will still not unlock from the inside latch by reaching in if its deadlocked. So smash a window that allows you arms reach of the key.

Most keys locked in the vehicle is a result of people only unlocking the boot of a fully locked vehicle via the fob, putting the keys down in the boot whilst loading/unloading then shutting the boot, keys still in. Vehicles with an actual key are becoming less common, and you can’t lock your keys in when you have keyless entry.

For some it’s a great feature…

When getting changed for a surf in the winter, the last thing you want to do is wait around in the cold air for ‘slow mate’ to finish putting his wetsuit on. You can get into your wetsuit, leave boot open, lock van, hide keys and head off to the water. ‘Slow mate’ can then just shut the boot when he is done and join you in the water; Never ever leave the keys with ‘slow mate’, as he will more than likely lock the keys in the boot, or just leave the van unlocked!

Driver & passenger side windows are probably quicker to replace, as they are the ones most commonly smashed in car park thefts…so companies such as auto glass etc more likely to stock / source quickly.

For future, suggest getting one of these, put it in a magnetic key case hidden under the van:

Last edited:

yip, when traveling solo I keep the keys in a pocket just in case, its so easy to accidentally press the fob.

For some it’s a great feature…

When getting changed for a surf in the winter, the last thing you want to do is wait around in the cold air for ‘slow mate’ to finish putting his wetsuit on. You can get into your wetsuit, leave boot open, lock van, hide keys and head off to the water. ‘Slow mate’ can then just shut the boot when he is done and join you in the water; Never ever leave the keys with ‘slow mate’, as he will more than likely lock the keys in the boot, or just leave the van unlocked!
This was handy for me recently when I took the van in to a garage for a service, but I couldnt collect it until after they were closed for the day. They left the keys in the boot, and locked it before closing the boot. I then came along later with the spare key to get into the van.

This was handy for me recently when I took the van in to a garage for a service, but I couldnt collect it until after they were closed for the day. They left the keys in the boot, and locked it before closing the boot. I then came along later with the spare key to get into the van.
This has been my standard procedure with my local VW garage for 17 years. So much easier to collect the vehicle after hours, and deal with any issues by email or phone.

Also, re. earlier postings above, anyone who has read this and other similar ‘locked out’ postings but does not then sort out a hidden/surf key (ex-immobiliser) - particularly when travelling far afield - is tempting fate. I have two surf keys one on a chain in my person the other secreted somewhere around the vehicle. Then I have the separated immobiliser part of the key very well hidden in the California (with a cryptic note on my phone reminding me where that is). The immobiliser works with any surf key.

NOTED ADDED: Mind you this is a bit of a red herring for you @4Corners - apologies, you must be tortured: I am crossing my fingers for you, imagining the frustration of looking at the keys through the window.

Last edited:
Back