Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A bit long but honest and personal review of our coast.

I can’t get a part number without the risk of damaging the trim but if you have access to a parts diagram for a GC this is on the rear face of the C pillar at the end of the kitchen.
View attachment 97182
Thank you very much for thinking along and come with a possible solution. I will look into it.

A review after our first big trip with our new california coast; it has been in our possession for 3 months and after some commute and a short and this journey (18 days in France) has now well more than 7000 km (4350 miles). Please note: we compare it with our old T4 westfalia california from 1991 that we traveled with for 10 years. Of course we also take into account that it was brand new and… a T6.1 with its completely modified electronic system (harness/ wiring) and the minor (and major?) inconveniences that have been mentioned before in other treads.
What we wish we didn't have before: more horsepower because we like to drive in the mountains, so the now 150 versus 78 does this hands down. Air conditioning! after 10 years without we’ve have had it and the 3-zone (but also much more expensive) air conditioning is super. Better brakes: the old T4 had drums in the rear and especially in the mountains and on hot day this could cause problems; now we have disc brakes all around and the ones in front are the enlarged ones (ours a 5 seater and they have those). Also: certainly more storage space. Seats in the tailgate, outside table in the sliding door and the inside table on a rail on the kitchen block provide more general storage space.
What we didn't want to lose: the maneuverability and the maximum height of 2 meters. Check, is so.
What did we have and what we wanted to keep as much as possible, although I knew it would not be obvious: nostalgia while traveling but also just by looking at it. Well, the colour ascot grey gives me the feeling of an older colour (even if it is new) and to me the T6.1 looks a bit more nostalgic which I think is successful.

The layout is like our old one and therefore very familiar. No secrets for us inside… unless the control panel because that takes some time and practice, but once you know some basics, it's not that bad: level of clean water only appears correctly on the screen after a while; wastewater always shows something, but when it is really full, it shows that too. The leveler is a good addition: we used it every night and it works perfectly: you choose your spot and if it doesn't feel level, check the leveler and then you drive on a ramp if necessary. Easy. But what about that light at night when your fridge is on and also the white lighting in the control knob? Solution for now: cut dark paper and you can just slide this between screen and plastic housing before going to sleep: now this is dimmed and no longer disturbing (I will make this in foil). The curtains for the front window do their job well but are not completely blackout but we don't mind this -yet- (maybe we'll buy an indoor blackout, we'll see). We also used them regularly to prevent the sun from clattering directly on the dashboard and steering wheel. The roller blinds all around go up a bit and let in some brightness but over time this got better and now they usually stay down nicely during the night. Above: the three windows that can be zipped open in the bellows are good to make -and keep- it somewhat manageable for sleeping. The children thought it was ok (we had exceptionally high temperatures in recent weeks). We have the panorama window in the front (and why not: for that price you didn't sew in a zipper yourself :D ) and we already used it, but not as much as we thought; rather to let in some fresh air when it is a bit cool in the evening. Sleeping downstairs: in high heat, certainly sleep with your head to the front of the vehicle and with as many fly screens and/or the extension hook in place as possible.
The kitchen unit: the sliding doors are a huge improvement over regular doors and the rest works as it should: water supply and drainage ✔️ cooking on gas is faster than the methylated spirits we had in our westfalia, but the grids already look quite used and that's a pity. Fridge is a blast and everyone knows that: you make ice cubes in it yourself with such a bag that you fill with water. Big enough for the four of us. It did fail once: was off; so keep an eye on it, literally.
Back seat: finally two three-point belts for our children ✔️ and the sliding box underneath is spacious but could use a carpet or something in it to counteract the noise in it (next project, I'll cut one myself and also for the sides). Shifting the couch is easy, although you have to position yourself in the middle and far enough back and then like everyone else does: that's how it goes smoothest. Sleeping on it is no problem if you put something on it that is best for you; for us, the upper mattress from vw itself is good enough.
Opening the manually folding roof (coast) is simple, but closing takes some practice and does not always go smooth: with us, the side of the kitchen unit goes the fastest. The other side takes some pulling to pull the roof down to get the piece over the hook. Just do it in a few steps: roof down, sit in one in front chairs and roll up the cloth on the opposite side and then pull the roof all the way down so that you can hook the piece over the hook and clinch it. Then the security clip on it. Then you move and do the other side. At last slide the shutter and make sure that it goes smoothly without anything getting in between when closing. All in all doable and glad I don't have an electro-hydraulic roof. What can be seen after a week of use: the rubber comes out of the rail at the top corner of the bellows on the kitchen unit. This will be shown to the dealer and will probably be glued. The bellows also has good blackout properties and is made of good material (plastic instead of cotton and this is good for the lifespan: cotton and moisture cause mold if they do not dry out properly and this weakens the cloth; the plastic bellows last longer (also dry faster) Our 31 year old westfalia still has his first plastic cloth. Since the T5 california from Volkswagen itself, cotton bellows were used but now plastic again. Good, I'm happy with it.
The bike rack I find rather bombastic in terms of view but good and firm. We mounted a fiamma case on it and no problem with that. We kept the tailgate open with a U-profile on the strut. Sometimes it would stay open on its own, but it's better to make sure it doesn't fall down.
Our tires are Continental Vancontact 4seasons and hold up well (not tested enough under different conditions of course). I have Michelin Crossclimate on the old California and have the impression that these run quieter.
For security, I still have an old bright yellow steering rod (peddle to steering wheel), that's all (or? ).
The dashboard: I think it's very nice and user-friendly. Preferably not too many closed compartments: when you are travelling, I want to be able to quickly put something away or take something. We did not take the digital meter lot, but the multi-media system with navigation and there is something to be said about that: works flawlessly in general, but has its moments: not wanting to connect to my mobile phone, once completely out. Anyway, if everything works, the music playback features and the CarPlay are very handy. I give the built-in navigation 7.5/10, but the old TomTom - in the old bus - that has not been able to get an update for years, I still give 7/10 so quite satisfied with that of VW (you can also enter coordinates). We also have Waze and Google and Maps on our mobile phones, but an old road atlas is with us in a door compartment so ça va, plenty of options to find our way.
The inner floor: rubber mats at the front and I would recommend these to everyone and the standard plastic floor at the back: we had fixed carpet in the old bus and this is a burden to keep clean! Now much better: wipe with the hand brush and go over with a wet cloth: clean.
Seat covers are definitely recommended when you travel and are even indispensable with children.

Extremely handy: socket at the bottom of the front seat: never again a dead mobile phone :thumb
About the driver's seat: this squeaked and creaked from day 1 and this went from settled to constant after a few weeks and became highly irritating. Our dealer has already taken some actions to fix this but it kept coming back after one or two rides without it. We went on a trip and took an aerosol silicone spray with us and after spraying it almost empty - at various times - in just about every spot or hole under the seat, it is now gone :shocked Hopefully for good.
Point of note: why did they put the button to close the doors when you go to sleep in the front of the door? Didn't they have a more easily accessible place for that?

Our bus is fairly standard: a coast in European version (less standard than for example in the UK) but with extras: additional heating, large opening at the front bellows, extra lighting (especially taken for the light points at the top), sliding window in sliding door (a must for us) and a five-seater version (which obliges bigger front brakes and therefore bigger rims. I chose the steel rims because although I like big alloy wheels on others, I just wanted to keep it basic). I already mentioned the expensive air conditioning. Heat-resistant windows that also give less insight: beautiful and will help something I think (the old Westfalia had double glazing. If there will be a lot of condensation we have yet to notice during further trips.) The adaptive speed controller (good system, but still keep an eye out for yourself). We also checked some other things such as the larger fuel tank, rear camera, electrically folding mirrors and fog lights. Diesel heating is about the last I can come up with right now of the options we took. We also use the cali in the winter, that's why. No painted mirror housings and handles. Too fancy for us (just kidding). Honestly, I like the pure look of the coast but like to look at all californias without exception.

Headlights are fine although I now think that I might have better ordered the LED lighting at the front… but I won't know for sure.

Something new that popped up just before this trip: a nasty crackle right from the front window at times, perhaps with a change in temperature and on less good road surfaces. I have to keep an eye on this. What else: in the morning, after a few hours of rain, there were drops of water on the inside of the top trim of the tailgate. I have already seen it pass in one of the many forums or Facebook pages and will look for it.
Do I think it is the quality vehicle that it is sold for? Not really... and I think I know why. But that's for another thread. Do I think it is one of the best small campervans you can buy? Yes. Is it a treat to go on holiday with? Without a doubt.
Drives well, brakes well and consumption: 8.7 l/100 km so far (27 mpg).
In short: even though our savings book is empty, we are very satisfied with our purchase!
The bus gives us the feeling that we are on the road with a firm update of the old one and that is all we wanted.
View attachment 96912
I know: it is all a bit mixed up and maybe it doesn't all sound very English, but I wanted to write this all down anyway and hopefully it pleased you reading it.

Greetings
Calibusje
Great review. We've had ours now for coming up to 8 years and facing a decision as to whether or not to upgrade or try something different. Your review has certainly helped lean me more towards the former rather than the latter. Thanks x

I can’t get a part number without the risk of damaging the trim but if you have access to a parts diagram for a GC this is on the rear face of the C pillar at the end of the kitchen.
View attachment 97182
As switches go, that’s a good looking switch. Exactly what I’m looking for my B pillar & a far better idea than my idea of cutting down a T6 drivers door one (now off to scurry through Grand California part diagrams to get the part number)

Last edited:
We opted for the 5 seater version, however our Cali has standard 16" wheels and therefore smaller brakes... is this correct?

We opted for the 5 seater version, however our Cali has standard 16" wheels and therefore smaller brakes... is this correct?
Correct? I guess so but don’t know. We needed to take the bigger brakes (and therefore the 17inch wheels) when ordering a 5-seater. Here the maximum authorised mass has also been increased to 3080kg, with you too? And of course the papers state that the vehicle has 5 seats. I did once use the configuration at Volkswagen.uk and made one up like ours but can’t remember if I had to take the bigger brakes for a 5-seater. I configurated also one at vw.nl, vw.de, vw.fr and another one (think Denmark) al because I had a lot of time when waiting for delivery ;)

Last edited:
I though all T6.1 oceans had 17” brakes & all coasts had to have them along with the weight upgrade to 3080kg if the 5th seat was optioned. What does your V5 say re number of seats and MAM?

I though all T6.1 oceans had 17” brakes & all coasts had to have them along with the weight upgrade to 3080kg if the 5th seat was optioned. What does your V5 say re number of seats and MAM?
Thank you for this. I've checked the V5 and no of seats is 5 and max. permissible mass is 3080kg. Would you advise I contact the dealer?

@thecornishsnig
Below is an extract from the brochure from 2020 which reads that you can only have the 5th seat in combination with the weight upgrade & bigger brakes - what did your order say?

Additional swivel seat in second row on rail system. For Coast models, only in combination with seat preparation for five seats FS5, increased gross vehicle weight – 3.08T 0WS, 17" braking system 2E4 and 17" alloy wheels Z3F/Z2S or 18" alloy wheels Z0F/Z3M at an additional cost.

Additional rail for subsequent installation of a fifth seat. For Coast models, only in combination with seat preparation for five seats FS5, increased gross vehicle weight – 3.08T 0WS, 17" braking system 2E4 and 17" alloy wheels Z3F/Z2S or 18" alloy wheels Z0F/Z3M at an additional cost.

Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome, I really liked writing it down and I'm glad people like to read it. I have also written a second part and this is about the rather questionable quality of the Volkswagen products in recent years and especially why this is; https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...possible-article-with-some-explanation.45969/
This part has not been received 'as well' as I see the reactions: one :D But I think people don't like to read that their (but also our) california could actually be a bit better. I have to say that any other campervan of this size or larger, the conventional campers, large and small actually also have reasonable rattles, squeaks and creaks, but with a latest model California I expect better ... me anyway, each his idea about this. I know it's actually an old transporter but it may now be the matured product it should normally be. It's not. Too bad but I like to travel with it because there it is still a winner and this is our main purpose with it but it is also my commuter transport and there does he disappoint: it's not quiet, he is too much like a clunker, a hooptie.
And then I won't say anything about what doesn't work, half works or doesn't work correctly, but we have been spared that but others apparently don't when I read the different threads.
Sobriety is good especially with such a large expenditure but I keep ending with the following sentence that I really mean: The bus gives us the feeling that -during tavels I must add- we are on the road with a firm update of the old one and that is all we wanted.
Greetings
Calibusje

Reactions: DMC
Thanks for your review and the quality control point of view

The following helped us: you first remove the plastic piece (needs a tug to pull out the lower large pins, but it works well): first picture. Then on the second photo I showed in yellow where I sprayed. In the gap but also on and around the white rounds. There are also black round catches and those also sprayed. Basically everything you see that you think can squeak or crack: spray ;)
Succes!
View attachment 97059
View attachment 97060
Thanks again for your inputs! This helped me solve the squeaking sounds on both front seats!

Back