Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is twice per year enough?

Ady77

Ady77

VIP Member
Planning to wash my van tomorrow and realised I have not washed it since May :Nailbiting , that means two washes per year.

I am not proud of this but it is not actually that dirty to be honest, I imagine it would look much worse if it was a dark colour or white

Planning to wash my van tomorrow and realised I have not washed it since May :Nailbiting , that means two washes per year.

I am not proud of this but it is not actually that dirty to be honest, I imagine it would look much worse if it was a dark colour or white
Na. I wouldn´t bother if i was you.
It seems you went past caring a long time ago.:thumb:headbang

Flood gates will be open for many witty comments I'm sure (as well as some nerdy ones :) ).

With previous new cars I did try to do it at least once a month but its easy to lose interest and eventually I resorted to a new bench mark.
When I wash it I also wax it, then leave it until the rain stops beading on the surface. I get around to it as soon as I can after that point but that could actually be more than another month after I spotted the beading has stopped depending on the weather and my energy levels. But I see that as fair :D. Another thing I always keep in mind though is the longer it goes without a wash the harder it will be to get it back to pristine, especially the wheels.

Last edited:
How often you wash your is entirely up to you the owner.

one of the main factors that makes me get the wash kit out is bird droppings, they seem to have a vendetta against any vehicle parked in the drive, usually within hours of it being washed.
With vehicle paints now being water based they do not withstand the chemicals in bird droppings and can completely 'eat' through the paint, requiring a respray. Washing is the only option plus a good polish coating.

Often noticed that vehicles that never get washed seem to start self cleaning after a few months, pretty dull paint finish but don't look so dirty as even weekly washed ones.

I didn't wash my previous van much. I sold it locally & still see it with the gull poo mark I didn't remove before it marked the paint. I am now quicker to remove bird poo...

The bodywork will come back to life fairly easily, with a bit of elbow grease.
However alloy wheels will corrode and will start to look terrible if not cleaned regular.

I do think this post needs a few pics :D

Have you washed it yet ?
Or are you still riding yer bike.

Next year is also a good time for washing a cali.

I don't wash ours properly very often either but I do jet wash all of the mud, grit, grime and brake dust off every week. It keeps it looking pretty clean and stops the corrosion setting in.

Back