Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our's can't come soon enough!!

Some time ago i was on the french vw configurator. I was amazed about how many colour options they have. Lots of two tone designs.

If you want to maximise resale value do a wrap then you can peel it off before you sell revealing the original pristine paintwork.

When we had our extended test drive we had to call into a shopping centre to collect something. The centre had a multi storey car park with a height restriction of 2.1metres. I read in the manual that the Cali is 2.03metres so we went in. It was terrifying because I think nearly all of it is 2.1metres. Do you all just accept that they have got the heights correct and use multi storeys as normal or has anybody had any problems with height restrictions being off?

Dear W. Ninja...

I like your idea of doing a two tone paint job in light green, but I'm a little concerned about the way you are thinking of realising your idea. I would recommend that you make a few print outs of a white van and you try colouring the panels you describe to see the end result. (Even better if you have photoshop and can use it...).

It's a tricky one to get right and before you spend a fortune of paint I would definitely mock up your idea first.

I also was going to recommend the route of applying a wrap. Two reasons. 1) you can try out your preferred scheme and live with it before commmiting to paint. 2). You can modify it if you aren't happy when you see it in the flesh.

3M make "knife on a roll" (search for it on eBay) so you can draw with tape on to you van the design, wrap it then remove the excess without any damage. Even just try one side to get the idea. I did this when I was trying to decide on black B pillars. I just mocked up one side with black insulation tape and stood back and compared to the other side before I committed.

So the next problem I can see you might have is the bumpers. You want to avoid painting them but on a T6 they are integral so leaving them in white will look weird IMHO. An alternative that is easier I think would be order the van in say bamboo garden green and paint or wrap the upper to white. That way your plastics will be perfect colour match and any stone ships or scrapes won't show through to the original colour. The wrap is on the upper so it's less prone to damage and the surfaces are less complex to wrap.

Unfortunately I don't have photoshop at home, but I did this image below for you on my iPad. I'm thinking this is what you are talking about. If you like I will try to do a proper photoshop for you so you can see the options. Alternatively I'd try colouring in a few photocopies yourself...

Hope you don't mind me giving you my opinion.... but I do admire you for doing this as it will look cool if you get it right.

View attachment 17761

Hi Days out
Always happy to hear ideas/opinions.
I'm sure there will be those who like and those who hate the end result...but it will be uniquely ours...and we will love it.
I am attaching mock up pictures of the Camper( I really prefer to call it that rather than the Van..maybe it's just me but it just says what it is)
As you will see some show the whole lower half green...which is fairly close to though not exactly the official VW colour...and some are with the bumpers left in white. I like both options.
I have yet to discuss with the paint shop the feasibility of leaving the bumpers white...which might force my hand to going all green if it can't be done.
I accept your reasoning and suggestion of wrapping but would really prefer to get the images right and perhaps a sample panel done and go for it. When it comes to resale...which will be a few years on...I'm sure somebody out there will like the idea as much as we do.
The Bamboo Green wouldn't work for me because the colour doesn't have the same genuine "Retro" look as the official VW L380 Turquoise Green shown on the picture of the Splitty I attached to my earlier reply on the this thread.
California T6 Green and White.jpg

The awning cover will be Candy white (bit grey in the photos) so that it almost disappears, and the wheels are Cascavel that I will probably get powder coated in white leaving the diamond turned spokes as they are.
As mentioned before there will be chrome strips running along the lower crease line (which will give a continuity link between the front and rear white bumpers) and along the bottom of the rear door.

Hi Days out
I'm sure there will be those who like and those who hate the end result...but it will be uniquely ours...and we will love it.
I am attaching mock up pictures of the Camper( I really prefer to call it that rather than the Van..maybe it's just me but it just says what it is)
As you will see some show the whole lower half green...which is fairly close to though not exactly the official VW colour...and some are with the bumpers left in white. I like both options.
I have yet to discuss with the paint shop the feasibility of leaving the bumpers white...which might force my hand to going all green if it can't be done.
I accept your reasoning and suggestion of wrapping but would really prefer to get the images right and perhaps a sample panel done and go for it. When it comes to resale...which will be a few years on...I'm sure somebody out there will like the idea as much as we do.
The Bamboo Green wouldn't work for me because the colour doesn't have the same genuine "Retro" look as the official VW L380 Turquoise Green shown on the picture of the Splitty I attached to my earlier reply on the this thread.
View attachment 17769

The awning cover will be Candy white (bit grey in the photos) so that it almost disappears, and the wheels are Cascavel that I will probably get powder coated in white leaving the diamond turned spokes as they are.
As mentioned before there will be chrome strips running along the lower crease line (which will give a continuity link between the front and rear white bumpers) and along the bottom of the rear door.
Great mock up pics - great stuff. Reading your note? I too prefer to call my Cali (when it arrives) a camper - its no longer a van!! Also, you so need to change those wheels - Disc (nothing less). I know someone else (Loz I think) made this point. I am thinking of getting for a complete Acapulco Blue Ocean. :):thumb:thumb
upload_2016-11-18_10-15-52.jpeg
I found these for only $600! (8x8J)
iris.jpeg

Great mock up pics - great stuff. Reading your note? I too prefer to call my Cali (when it arrives) a camper - its no longer a van!! Also, you so need to change those wheels - Disc (nothing less). I know someone else (Loz I think) made this point. I am thinking of getting for a complete Acapulco Blue Ocean. :):thumb:thumb
View attachment 17772
I found these for only $600! (8x8J)
View attachment 17773

Hi J
Where did you find the wheels?...ebay USA? Shipping might be high.

Hi WN, just revisited the Disc wheels for $600 - that was in 2013! I guess they are sold now, sorry if I raised your hopes on this one! :oops::embarrased Found some in NI for over €3000 - Errr.....I don't like them that much:eek:

Hi WN, just revisited the Disc wheels for $600 - that was in 2013! I guess they are sold now, sorry if I raised your hopes on this one! :oops::embarrased Found some in NI for over €3000 - Errr.....I don't like them that much:eek:
A set recently sold on Ebay i.e. with a Germany location...for ÂŁ2,700 excluding tyres!

Some time ago i was on the french vw configurator. I was amazed about how many colour options they have. Lots of two tone designs.
Indeed, this one caught my eye :)
iris

Yes not sure about the red dash...it's on the limited edition red and white Caravelle Transporter. A little over the top for me.
I ordered mine, Acapulco Blue, with the coloured insert hoping its not too OTT. Did it as a nod to earlier T's (air cooled). Here is a pic with Acapulco insert.
VW-Multivan.gif

I think it will look really good and can't wait to see some photos.

Hi Days out
View attachment 17769

Love it! I'd keep the bumpers green if it was me, less 'bitty' :thumb

I ordered mine, Acapulco Blue, with the coloured insert hoping its not too OTT. Did it as a nod to earlier T's (air cooled). Here is a pic with Acapulco insert.
View attachment 17774

Love the insert dash. Sadly I wasn't able to amend my order to include this, like you JW it would have been the perfect 'nod' to my previous air-cooled buses, but, hey-ho. vinyl wrapping is always a Plan B :)

People are going to be very confused when I put pictures up when mine arrives and it's actually Blackberry! :headbang

Hi Days out
View attachment 17769

Hi WN.

Glad you have some photoshops done. Had a good look and now understand your thinking. However in the top image both front and rear bumpers are fully painted and this was what I was thinking would look best.

However looking at the lower images you did where you left the rear bumper in white I noticed that you have half painted the front. There is a split line near the lamps where the front bumpers integrates to the fender. This option would look better if you left the lower sill panel below the sewage white. That might look quite cool.

At the end of the day it's a T6 not a splitter and I would say you shouldn't try and replicate exactly the splitter theme. Better to create a modern interpretation of the theme.

The lower option with white sill might just do the trick!

IMG_4715.JPG

Like this. ???

Then you get a nice panel in green the rear bumper is unpainted and so is the sill Then you just have to half paint the front bumper.

View attachment 17784

Like this. ???

Then you get a nice panel in green the rear bumper is unpainted and so is the sill Then you just have to half paint the front bumper.

In my opinion the Cali looks sleeker and less deep in the side. Much more modern interpretation of a classic.

Those disc wheels would really finish her off. You should do it proper or alternatively get some polished spokey 20" rims and lower it. For a "cal" look.

Hi WN.

Glad you have some photoshops done. Had a good look and now understand your thinking. However in the top image both front and rear bumpers are fully painted and this was what I was thinking would look best.

However looking at the lower images you did where you left the rear bumper in white I noticed that you have half painted the front. There is a split line near the lamps where the front bumpers integrates to the fender. This option would look better if you left the lower sill panel below the sewage white. That might look quite cool.

At the end of the day it's a T6 not a splitter and I would say you shouldn't try and replicate exactly the splitter theme. Better to create a modern interpretation of the theme.

The lower option with white sill might just do the trick!

Sorry about typos. Splitty. And swage was what I meant to type. Need to loose weight off my fat fingertips. :talktothehand