Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter socket - is it rubbish?

Stu said:
I would still argue there is some consumption and wasted energy from heat etc.

The only way, in my opinion, they could prevent consumption would be to have an isolating on/off switch. So long as the primary remains energised the transformer will be consuming power.

I do not have the inverter (2007), but from what the people who do have it say, it seems like the switch is activated once there is a plug inserted into the socket.

Interesting read this - I had assumed - incorrectly - that the inverter worked only when the camping control unit was turned on, and I since I only turn on the camping control unit when camping I figured I was OK to leave the adapter lead plugged in all of the time.

Wrong - wrong - wrong - I will now unplug the adapter lead, of course on the down side I will probably break the socket by using it too much....

T

VW immediately offered to add a switch for the inverter, as soon as I explained my situation.
Now waiting for an appointment for that.
In the meantime, I removed the 30A fuse to avoid running the batteries down over the winter.

While the inverter was on, the batteries fell to 50% (12.1v) in 9 days.
With the fuse removed, I am still at 90% (12.5v) after 15 days.
Both those are with the Panel left ON between readings.
See graph.
Battery_zpsbe555e33.jpg

I intend to continue the readings for a month (unless I need to start the Cali for some reason).
Then, after the usual 24 hour recharge, to start again with the Panel OFF between readings.

Clearly, you don't want to leave anything plugged into the inverter socket if the Cali is idle for a long time.

2CV67 said:
VW immediately offered to add a switch for the inverter, as soon as I explained my situation.
Now waiting for an appointment for that.
In the meantime, I removed the 30A fuse to avoid running the batteries down over the winter.

While the inverter was on, the batteries fell to 50% (12.1v) in 9 days.
With the fuse removed, I am still at 90% (12.5v) after 15 days.
Both those are with the Panel left ON between readings.
See graph.
Battery_zpsbe555e33.jpg

I intend to continue the readings for a month (unless I need to start the Cali for some reason).
Then, after the usual 24 hour recharge, to start again with the Panel OFF between readings.

Clearly, you don't want to leave anything plugged into the inverter socket if the Cali is idle for a long time.

That is very interesting findings, thank you.
I would only add 1 aspect:
In my opinion switching on and off the Central Panel carries increase risk of failure. Like any other complex electronic device it has a good chance for uncontrolled behaviour during unstable conditions, especially in humid environment.
Regards
Andrzej

Being new to all this, where does one source the adaptor for the two pin into the three pin plug socket (not sure about the technical terms), can't seem to find one on line.... Thanks

I purchased mine in the club shop, it is a unique design that most others wont fit

The Forum Shop used to sell them but not anymore. This works XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:
camper vantastic stuff is very expensive and you can get cheaper by shopping around, i stupidly ordered some branbdrup pockets from them and they took a month to arrive !! This was before I knew about SMG

There's mention on this thread about switching the control panel off.

The screen on mine goes off a few minutes after doing any settings, it also comes on for a few minutes after switching the ignition on then goes off for the duration of the journey.

Is this a feature of newer Calis or is there something I should be doing?

That's just the lcd back light going off. You can switch panel off & it stays off, at least that is how mine behaves

Sent from my SM-G900F

I don't think it is going off, just the screen blanking... different to switching the unit off.

If you have a old continental two pin plug triangle shape. Just cut the end off that you don't need and wire to a 3pin plug to make a adapter. Think I used one from a printer or shaver.

"That's just the lcd back light going off. You can switch panel off & it stays off, at least that is how mine behaves"

This might seem a really silly question but if thats just the backlight going on & off how do you know if the panel is on or off? mine seems to behave the the same as snowy55 if the fridge is on that switch glows, if the heater is on that also glows. Otherwise the panel lights up for a minute or so when you turn the engine on or off or if you press the rotor knob and thats about it you don't appear to have the choice of having the screen on all the time.

Neilgbj if you are still looking for the adapter most reasonable size sainsburys seem to stock them - in the two near us there is a stand by the instore chemist bit with travel goods on it about I think they were £12.99.
Just be careful not to get their cheap "normal" adapters which have the 2 pins but are a round plug rather than the diamond shape.

Jeff, Bottom left button turns panel off permently but only on for a minute or two.

Yes that is correct but if you dab the bottom right button when it's on it will light up or centre button for functions if fridge or heater is on the symbol glows a different colour.