Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter socket

VW Badger

VW Badger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
is it possible to buy an adapter for the inverter socket to use a UK plug in it? It is a different shape from the regular euro adapters (possibly related to limiting the power output)?

Thanks

BillyCasper

BillyCasper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Skross world travel multi adapter or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad

Sad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
There are, I remember spending hours looking, but didn't find anything suitable because of the cover over the socket making it more awkward...

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The 'lozenge' shaped socket for the inverter is sometimes described as the 'Swiss' format. It is non-earthed, unlike the circular 2-pin+earth strip 'Schuko' format socket used widely on the continent.

I assume VW used that format for safety reasons: ie you can put a 'Swiss' plug into a 'Schuko' socket but not vice versa. So you can't mistakenly assume that your appliance is earthed, when the inverter outlet actually isn't.

Re-wireable (rather than moulded-on) versions of the 'lozenge/Swiss' plugs can be bought from online electrical wholesalers or Fleabay. I made up a short extension cable with a 'Swiss' plug for the inverter at one end, and at the other end a trailing socket with two UK 3-pin sockets.

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have one. Works well and robustly made. I use it to power a french mosquito killer when on EHU.

AlanC

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
There has been an issue for some owners of that socket disappearing behind the trim if a plug is pushed in too firmly. It happened to me, luckily I was able to retrieve it without taking the van trim apart. I am reluctant to use it as a result.

Another issue is that if you leave something plugged into that socket, such as an adapter, even though it may not be in use, the inverter is still powered up and drawing a current from the leisure batteries.

There is a little LED on the socket on ours, which is very difficult to see (you have to get on your knees) and lights when something is plugged in.

Nice idea, but not the best bit of design.

Alan

Hotel California

Hotel California

18 'till i die....
Staff member
forum co ordinator
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
In 6y i can honest say i don't use the inverter plug a lot , even better to say used it only few times

Nick Stubbs

Nick Stubbs

The Rodent.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Anyone know how to get the socket out of the "B" post trim without removing the trim ? finding that the terminal contacts are very loose so anything plugged in is powered intermittently, just going to have a look to see if the contacts could be pinched up a bit. Thanks.

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
It is stuck on with glue you could try pulling it mine fell off on its own

DavidT

DavidT

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
The 'lozenge' shaped socket for the inverter is sometimes described as the 'Swiss' format. It is non-earthed, unlike the circular 2-pin+earth strip 'Schuko' format socket used widely on the continent.

I assume VW used that format for safety reasons: ie you can put a 'Swiss' plug into a 'Schuko' socket but not vice versa. So you can't mistakenly assume that your appliance is earthed, when the inverter outlet actually isn't.

Re-wireable (rather than moulded-on) versions of the 'lozenge/Swiss' plugs can be bought from online electrical wholesalers or Fleabay. I made up a short extension cable with a 'Swiss' plug for the inverter at one end, and at the other end a trailing socket with two UK 3-pin sockets.

This sounds like a neat solution and then gives the flexibility to be able to plug in camera chargers, laptops etc. What about the polarity of the inverter socket though? With the 2 pin Swiss plug there is no live / neutral distinction. I imagine this does not matter for lighting, but would it be a problem to reverse the polarity for a laptop charger, for example?

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
This sounds like a neat solution and then gives the flexibility to be able to plug in camera chargers, laptops etc. What about the polarity of the inverter socket though? With the 2 pin Swiss plug there is no live / neutral distinction. I imagine this does not matter for lighting, but would it be a problem to reverse the polarity for a laptop charger, for example?

I'm not an expert on that but I'd be quite surprised if it created any problem with modern double-insulated appliances. Quite a few international AC plug/socket standards have no 'forced' polarity - ie you can put in the plug either way up.

But maybe someone with more knowledge can say if reversing polarity could in fact upset a phone or laptop charger...

Nick Stubbs

Nick Stubbs

The Rodent.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I'm not an expert on that but I'd be quite surprised if it created any problem with modern double-insulated appliances. Quite a few international AC plug/socket standards have no 'forced' polarity - ie you can put in the plug either way up.

But maybe someone with more knowledge can say if reversing polarity could in fact upset a phone or laptop charger...
Its AC, (be it crude) so no issue with reverse polarity..

M

marchugo

Another issue is that if you leave something plugged into that socket, such as an adapter, even though it may not be in use, the inverter is still powered up and drawing a current from the leisure batteries.

Our inverter socket dropped deep down behind the trim.
Our dealer angled it up and fixed it with two tiewraps. It is holding for years now.

Reason why it falls is that you push the connector with too much force. The socket is only glued.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

M

marchugo

The right quote in my last post should be this:

There has been an issue for some owners of that socket disappearing behind the trim if a plug is pushed in too firmly. It happened to me, luckily I was able to retrieve it without taking the van trim apart. I am reluctant to use it as a result.

Our inverter socket dropped deep down behind the trim.
Our dealer angled it up and fixed it with two tiewraps. It is holding for years now.

Reason why it falls is that you push the connector with too much force. The socket is only glued.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

D

DJDaniel

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
I have found an adaptor for this European Type C socket on Ebay.
UK to EU Euro European Plug Adapter, Travel Converter Adaptor Type C - £6.
Seems to work Ok for charging my laptop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 6.29.22 pm.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 6.29.22 pm.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8036.jpg
    IMG_8036.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 6
kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have found an adaptor for this European Type C socket on Ebay.
UK to EU Euro European Plug Adapter, Travel Converter Adaptor Type C - £6.
Seems to work Ok for charging my laptop.
Nice find @DJDaniel . However, remember, don't leave that plugged in into the socket though. There is a small switch in the socket that then powers on the attached inverter. If you leave that plugged in, the inverter will stay on, and there will be a drain on your leisure batteries.

Take care.

D

DJDaniel

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Thanks for pointing that out @kurienp it would be easy to leave it in.
It does not make that clear in the VW manual, it only says there is a 'child protection switch' inside it.