Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz

Canoo alternative to the ID Buzz Cargo?
Maybe a Canoo campervan in the future :) :)

6D0D80E6-8795-4F5D-A5DB-E15B06C72595.jpeg

Whilst not one myself, we need the early adopters of new products / technologies, as otherwise the world economy & development would slow down considerably.
Its good that we’re all different, as otherwise the world would be a very boring place.
I agree. As you have said someone has to be first.

Personally I have always preferred end of production run vehicles. They tend to be cheaper and have had most of the wrinkles ironed out by then. Also they often come packed with options included that you would have paid a King's ransom for only a few years before.

As for new tech well that's fine with me as long as it keeps working as it should and VW have properly trained bods to fix it when it doesn't. If they can't later fix such issues then I rather not have had it in the first place.

Just ordered a Buzz First Edition with all options except tow bar. Can't believe that VW consider a jack to be a £90 option. Total price £65,485. Must be mad, but at 77 haven’t got much more time to spend the kids' inheritance. If it turns out to be a turkey, we will be presenting ourselves at Milton Keynes as we did with the California to sort our the roof corrosion many years ago.
I just did a config for the first edition, not bad at around £66k and the two-tone Bayleaf Green & White is only £1800...if someone is doing a camper conversion I'll swap my (yet to be delivered) Cali Ocean for it...;-)

I just did a config for the first edition, not bad at around £66k and the two-tone Bayleaf Green & White is only £1800...if someone is doing a camper conversion I'll swap my (yet to be delivered) Cali Ocean for it...;-)
Hi @couplands
Would you not be worried about range and availability of charging points (especially in remote areas)? I’d guess that by the time VW launch their California EV in a few years that battery technology will have significantly improved.

If conversion companies build a camper on the current ID Buzz Cargo version they will need to work very hard to keep the weight down. No more MDF kitchen units etc.

Hi @couplands
Would you not be worried about range and availability of charging points (especially in remote areas)? I’d guess that by the time VW launch their California EV in a few years that battery technology will have significantly improved.
If conversion companies build a camper on the current ID Buzz Cargo version they will need to work very hard to keep the weight down. No more MDF kitchen units etc.
I'm running an EV at the moment and have been surprised (happily) at the availability of chargers by-and-large. Plus, electricity is available mostly everywhere, so at a pinch a slow overnight charge is possible and I'm unlikely to do more than 200 miles a day.

The Caravan & Motorhome Club allow charging at all but 1 of their 84(?) sites too.

I was up in Kielder a couple of weeks ago and spotted 6 charging stations in the forest car parks and only saw 1 fuel station.

It is a brave new world and will put some out of their comfort zone, but at my age I'm happy to try new things while I still can....;-)

From what I've see with the very few companies (Jerba Campervans) that have looked at converting the ID.Buzz/Cargo is that it is physically smaller that the Transporter and they will need to scale down their interiors by approx 15%. That might make it a bit tight...!

I'm running an EV at the moment and have been surprised (happily) at the availability of chargers by-and-large. Plus, electricity is available mostly everywhere, so at a pinch a slow overnight charge is possible and I'm unlikely to do more than 200 miles a day.

The Caravan & Motorhome Club allow charging at all but 1 of their 84(?) sites too.

I was up in Kielder a couple of weeks ago and spotted 6 charging stations in the forest car parks and only saw 1 fuel station.

It is a brave new world and will put some out of their comfort zone, but at my age I'm happy to try new things while I still can....;-)

From what I've see with the very few companies (Jerba Campervans) that have looked at converting the ID.Buzz/Cargo is that it is physically smaller that the Transporter and they will need to scale down their interiors by approx 15%. That might make it a bit tight...!

Good on you @couplands i’m sure you’ll great have fun with it.
At a mere 71 years, I’ll wait a bit longer :)

We are running a Q4 at the moment and it works for us but we haven’t had to use the charging infrastructure yet. We like the look of the Buzz but I can’t see where the extra £12k has gone comparing the Q4 edition 1 which has the same battery and motor.

Interesting that a charge cable to use at non tethered units is an optional extra. Also did a quick check on replacement tyre prices, couldn’t find any available for the rears (different size to the front) in the 108 load rating, only 105. Could be stuck using VW as a tyre supplier

Buzz Semi Beach - Only sleeps 2
Doesn't sleep more than the ID3, with which it shares chassis and motor/suspensión. The only significant difference is a false nose stuck on over the front of the ID3 to make it look like a van, but it has the same distance from front bumper to driver's seat as the ID3. None of the space under the stuck on nose is usable, but forward vision is reduced because of the non-structural second A pillar. What a lost opportunity, but this is VW's idea of saving costs by using the same structure and space distribution as the ID3 while using stick-on bits to make it look like a van without a van's functional use of space.

How big is the boot on an ID3…???

How big is the boot on an ID3…???
That's a good question, but imagining the front of the Buzz without the false nose (the structural element follows the line of the upper front edge of the front doors, everything in front of that upper edge is purely decorative without adding useful space) reveals it to be a sort of ID SUV, and we all know that SUVs are notorious for their poor use of space.

This mule using the body of a modified T6 gives an idea of what has been going on at VW design. If I remember correctly, we were all a bit horrified. 7C77D9D8-F3CE-463E-99B9-55E602FFB7E0.png

Has anyone seen any 3rd parties making camping pods or bed frames that would fit in the rear of the Buzz…?

Already thought about that myself. Should be pretty easy to make a flat frame to meet where the rear seats fold flat, then storage underneath for one nighters/weekends…

Already thought about that myself. Should be pretty easy to make a flat frame to meet where the rear seats fold flat, then storage underneath for one nighters/weekends…
Indeed, I think it will be simple to add. I saw the “multiplex” type board in one of the press models, does that bring the boot floor to the level of the folded rear seats…?

Indeed, I think it will be simple to add. I saw the “multiplex” type board in one of the press models, does that bring the boot floor to the level of the folded rear seats…?

I’ve not seen a multiplex board, only a roll over cover half way up.

Back