Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do experienced owners do it?

Bobbybus

Bobbybus

Learning how to be a hedonist...
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have an old bathroom rug inside the Cali that we are not bothered about getting dirty. It's dark blue on one side and cream on the other side (well it was when knew). Blue side up for mucky conditions and cream side up for dry. Just shake the rug outside when dry. Very wet footwear goes in the side door footwell unless wellies and they go in the boot. If not too wet, we usually shoes keep shoes on. We aren't too precious about getting the floor dirty; it cleans easily enough. Wet dog gets a mini shower (collapsing bucket with warmed and soapy water with portable electric shower) and towelled down. She then takes herself to the passenger footwell to sleep and dry off. You get used to the smell of wet dog after a while!

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a step mat,,,,boots go on it
Getting boots dry for the next day is as important as van cleanliness
And the heater blows onto thenstep, it works perfectly
Last winter we were in the snow for a bit.....boots were always wet. It worked perfectly

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Been on our first real trip this weekend and we too put our dirty shoes in the step and they became toasty. Glad it didn't rain as I spent ages moving things around as we found out what worked and what didn't.

Our worst issue was the dog. He was confused at night and about every hour did what we in Yorkshire call a pewl. An ear piercing little cry. I guess he was either cold or wondering what was happening. We were in pop top he was on bench seat. He will get used to it.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Our worst issue was the dog. He was confused at night and about every hour did what we in Yorkshire call a pewl. An ear piercing little cry. I guess he was either cold or wondering what was happening. We were in pop top he was on bench seat. He will get used to it.

"Pewl": what an excellent word, will use that one.

If ours pewls then she's quite likely to be 'invited' upstairs for the rest of the night. Strangely enough it seems to have become quite a regular thing now... :confused:

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
"Pewl": what an excellent word, will use that one.

If ours pewls then she's quite likely to be 'invited' upstairs for the rest of the night. Strangely enough it seems to have become quite a regular thing now... :confused:
I would have done the same but thought in the dark he could have fallen out of the roof and onto the seats. Don't have a net.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I would have done the same but thought in the dark he could have fallen out of the roof and onto the seats. Don't have a net.

Ours burrows under the duvet until she finds skin contact then pretends she is Cocker Spaniel x Limpet. So little risk of her falling off the bed. :embarrased

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
In dry(ish) weather shoes tend to go under the van, and in wet weather they sit on the step inside the van. That said, we usually have the drive-away awning set up for anything more than a single night, so there's loads of room to store shoes in the dry between the van and the main section of the awning. I can definitely see the merit of a plastic box though....

Definitely kidding....never travel without a full week's supply of wine, even if that requires a trailer! Just imagine..... camping.....without....wine..... :eek:
Camping without wine - how very dare you!

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
I always chuck boots and outdoor shoes underneath the van by the step. They rarely get too damp to wear. The pullout awning helps. If you throw them under a bit too far, you can use the awning winder as a hook to fish them out. Soft shoes and slippers are different, of course!

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Having only used Brian once we are unsure how to live in different conditions. To save us going through the learning curve can anyone unravel my thoughts?

Rainy weather
I imagine returning to the van with dirty shoes covered in grass and trying to remove and store them tidily before entering the van. For this reason i considered an area for doing this. Outside? Inside? Then where do these shoes go; in the van? In a plastic box outside? Also do you have a mat to step onto in the van that is stored in dry weather?

Dry weather
No problem but should i take enough wine for the whole week or just buy local; only kidding.
When it’s tipping down I always use tailgate as a shelter, dry the dog then put him in van (have another towel to wrap him in. Then back under tailgate and get out of waterproofs, the rest will be different as I don’t have cali any more. Wet stuff gets hung in shower in van to dry quick or the coat hooks in boot.
Tailgate is great as shelter!

VW California Club