Diaries: how do you do it?

• Thread starter The Tall Luthier
  • Start date
The Tall Luthier

The Tall Luthier

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I’m not a diarist per se, but I do like to keep a log of our time in Vinnie and other travels.

I know some people blog, that sounds fun but it’s not my style. I guess others write in a captains log. Personally I am doing it all in an App called Day One as it allows me to include photos, dates, times, weather patterns, it seems great.

I’m even more curious as to what people focus on. Diaries are only interesting when you read them back, and I’m slowly discovering that storing entries like ‘the mozzarella on the pizza was the stringiest I ever saw’ holds absolutely no interest to me three months on. So are yours emotional entries, experiential, factual or data driven?

What details do you focus on?
How do you record the entries.

I wouldn't shy away from keeping a diary. It wouldn't need to be very detailed or require much work.

How about getting a small notebook and pen? Keep it in the glove box and every time you think of something amusing, you can write it down. Or just make a note of where you stay the night, etc.

Edit: I didn't really answer your question - you are already using an app to record things.

If you write down how you felt about ‘the mozzarella on the pizza was the stringiest I ever saw’ - that might make it interesting to read later.

Last edited:
I’m not a diarist per se, but I do like to keep a log of our time in Vinnie and other travels.

I know some people blog, that sounds fun but it’s not my style. I guess others write in a captains log. Personally I am doing it all in an App called Day One as it allows me to include photos, dates, times, weather patterns, it seems great.

I’m even more curious as to what people focus on. Diaries are only interesting when you read them back, and I’m slowly discovering that storing entries like ‘the mozzarella on the pizza was the stringiest I ever saw’ holds absolutely no interest to me three months on. So are yours emotional entries, experiential, factual or data driven?

What details do you focus on?
How do you record the entries.
I also use Day One. I’ve never been one to keep a journal before but started when I did the Coast to Coast walk last year as I knew it would be an emotional journey and wanted to capture it as best I could. I tend to focus on the emotional and in truth am not very disciplined, if nothing noteworthy happened during the day I don’t make an entry - I don’t have the literary skills to make the banal interesting! What is fascinating is my other half also journals and her entries on the same day when we were together often have a very different slant to mine!

I also use Day One. I’ve never been one to keep a journal before but started when I did the Coast to Coast walk last year as I knew it would be an emotional journey and wanted to capture it as best I could. I tend to focus on the emotional and in truth am not very disciplined, if nothing noteworthy happened during the day I don’t make an entry - I don’t have the literary skills to make the banal interesting! What is fascinating is my other half also journals and her entries on the same day when we were together often have a very different slant to mine!
I like the idea of being more emotional, in truth I’m more of a steady guy who doesn’t get moved by much, rarely excited, rarely upset. So I think I stock more to the what and where of The day.

I also find I have to be strict and regular with my entries otherwise I forget the diary even exists.

I like the idea of being more emotional, in truth I’m more of a steady guy who doesn’t get moved by much, rarely excited, rarely upset. So I think I stock more to the what and where of The day.

I also find I have to be strict and regular with my entries otherwise I forget the diary even exists.

I tried putting the location setting in the app to always on so it would provide reminders of what was in my dairy that day, that helped me a bit with the discipline. PS I’m half Mediterranean so emotions come easy for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk