Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How far back can the rear seat go and what do you do with the shelf?

Paul Onions

Paul Onions

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

Before we bought our beloved Cali we looked at several conversions including the Reimo. In that, the rear shelf folded up against the back of the sliding rear seat so it would go all the way back in the van increasing the living space inside on those rainy days. Can this be done in the Cali and if so what do you do with the shelf as it looks like you have to lift it out rather than it folding all the way up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul.

Correct. Lift shelf out if you need the extra room as it is fixed just behind the normal seat position. I couldn't do that without emptying the boot space, so really cannot see the point.

We use the van daily, I keep the metal shelf in the back bedroom and the seat further back "our day van set up" Pack it back it for trips away. As WG says the bits in the boot would need housing.

The rear shelf is indeed a pain in the ass if you need to transport bigger loads .
I would love the idea i would fit on the groundfloor but it not has the same shape.

As WG is saying , on trips the booth is stuffed with things so imposible to roll the seat further back .
If needed it can be taken out of hinge and placed standing up...

There are bump stops in the rails to stop the seat going back, if you remove them or resite them further back in the floor rails the rear seat will push back further.

With the stops removed the rear seat will go back far enough to have the head restraints under the overhead locker, with the seat further back than normal we keep the bed base on edge strapped to the back of the seat.

Back