GC off grid capabilities (or not!)

• Thread starter Carryon Cali Camping
  • Start date
Carryon Cali Camping

Carryon Cali Camping

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi All - I am going to view a used 2019 GC 680 tomorrow and if all is as described, I’ll probably purchase it. I’ve read a lot about its limited off grid capabilities due to its small leisure battery etc. and some of the alternative solutions running additional leisure batteries etc. I’ve also read that some use a power bank (jackery, ecoflow etc.). My question is to try and ensure up to 3 or 4 nights maximum off grid, can you plug a power banks (around 1600wh capacity I was considering) straight in to the external ehu to recharge the leisure battery for a few hours or would this damage the either the leisure battery or power bank or is the idea a non starter? I can barely change a light bulb, so I need something very very simple! The GC also has the solar fitted on the roof. Many thanks in advance for some words of wisdom!

I think the better solution is go for lithium. Plenty of tutorials online..if you don’t wanna get your hands dirty you can always pay someone.
For me at least having the leisure battery apart from the van is just adding more Tetris to the situation

Thanks, I do believe adding to or replacing the existing leisure battery is not as simple as the T6 Cali or other vans etc (Ive had this done in the Motorhome I’ve just sold) although possible. We will mainly be in sites with EHU, but want some flexibility and we periodically already use a power station around the home/garden. Would at this stage just like to know if plugging a power station in to the EHU is an option or not.

Thanks, I do believe adding to or replacing the existing leisure battery is not as simple as the T6 Cali or other vans etc (Ive had this done in the Motorhome I’ve just sold) although possible. We will mainly be in sites with EHU, but want some flexibility and we periodically already use a power station around the home/garden. Would at this stage just like to know if plugging a power station in to the EHU is an option or not.
Does the GC have solar? This makes a big difference to the standing time off grid.
In short, yes you can plug a power bank directly into the side hook up. This is quite an inefficient way to charge the leisure battery, but many do this. Just be aware of the earthing issue.
Alternatively you could run the engine for around 15mins with the max charge button pressed to top up the leisure battery when required. Depending on setting this May or may not be acceptable.
I have happily gone a long weekend, so Thursday to Sunday, with only the OE solar and leisure battery combination. This was in September in the uk, not mega sunny days.
Don’t over think it, the fall back is always to run the engine for a bit with the boost on.
If looking at a 2019 model, ask if the tap has been upgraded. This was a know fault on early vehicles up to mid 2022. Also check carefully the operation of the step and check the heating etc. all works ok. Also check the plastic matches in the overhead lockers as these were brittle on early GC’s and often broke.
Good luck, they are great vehicles.

Does the GC have solar? This makes a big difference to the standing time off grid.
In short, yes you can plug a power bank directly into the side hook up. This is quite an inefficient way to charge the leisure battery, but many do this. Just be aware of the earthing issue.
Alternatively you could run the engine for around 15mins with the max charge button pressed to top up the leisure battery when required. Depending on setting this May or may not be acceptable.
I have happily gone a long weekend, so Thursday to Sunday, with only the OE solar and leisure battery combination. This was in September in the uk, not mega sunny days.
Don’t over think it, the fall back is always to run the engine for a bit with the boost on.
If looking at a 2019 model, ask if the tap has been upgraded. This was a know fault on early vehicles up to mid 2022. Also check carefully the operation of the step and check the heating etc. all works ok. Also check the plastic matches in the overhead lockers as these were brittle on early GC’s and often broke.
Thanks for the reply and I read your contributions in your posts last year, so sounds like you’re happy with just the fitted leisure battery and solar (yes the one I’m looking at tomorrow has the 170w solar panel fitted). Thanks for the advice on what to look out for. I spoke to VW Birmingham Van Centre yesterday who have maintained it since new (also still has 2 serviced left on the service plan) and although they declined to say what warranty work they had done, they did say it had been in 3/4 times early on to have things fixed/replaced etc.

Sorry, i forgot to ask what I’d the earthing issue if I plugged the power bank in to the EHU? Many thanks

Thanks for the reply and I read your contributions in your posts last year, so sounds like you’re happy with just the fitted leisure battery and solar (yes the one I’m looking at tomorrow has the 170w solar panel fitted). Thanks for the advice on what to look out for. I spoke to VW Birmingham Van Centre yesterday who have maintained it since new (also still has 2 serviced left on the service plan) and although they declined to say what warranty work they had done, they did say it had been in 3/4 times early on to have things fixed/replaced etc.
The guys at Birmingham are good, I’ve dealt with them before, good luck with it all.

Sorry, i forgot to ask what I’d the earthing issue if I plugged the power bank in to the EHU? Many thanks
The power station won’t be grounded, so effectively no earth. Not a major problem but it does mean the RCD’s in the Grand Cali won’t trip if there’s a fault. Certainly true of the Ecoflow delta, as stated on their website

The power station won’t be grounded, so effectively no earth. Not a major problem but it does mean the RCD’s in the Grand Cali won’t trip if there’s a fault. Certainly true of the Ecoflow delta, as stated on their website
Yes - I use a 2kWh Bluetti for this - it acts just like an EHU and never had any earthing issues, I think when using on an EV you need the earth bonding plug. It also allows use of a 1500w electric kettle, microwave, air fryer and even the odd hair drying session for the Mrs!

You can charge it by plugging into the 12V cigarette lighter socket when driving, and using foldable or roof-mounted solar panels when stationary.

Yes - I use a 2kWh Bluetti for this - it acts just like an EHU and never had any earthing issues, I think when using on an EV you need the earth bonding plug. It also allows use of a 1500w electric kettle, microwave, air fryer and even the odd hair drying session for the Mrs!

You can charge it by plugging into the 12V cigarette lighter socket when driving, and using foldable or roof-mounted solar panels when stationary.
Thanks, do you ever use it to plug it in to the vans EHU to charge the leisure battery?

Hi All - I am going to view a used 2019 GC 680 tomorrow and if all is as described, I’ll probably purchase it. I’ve read a lot about its limited off grid capabilities due to its small leisure battery etc. and some of the alternative solutions running additional leisure batteries etc. I’ve also read that some use a power bank (jackery, ecoflow etc.). My question is to try and ensure up to 3 or 4 nights maximum off grid, can you plug a power banks (around 1600wh capacity I was considering) straight in to the external ehu to recharge the leisure battery for a few hours or would this damage the either the leisure battery or power bank or is the idea a non starter? I can barely change a light bulb, so I need something very very simple! The GC also has the solar fitted on the roof. Many thanks in advance for some words of wisdom!
Hi the other major thing to check is for any deformity’s around the windows. This can become worse in hot weather.
I had this issue and VW Germany would not sanction any work under warranty. I was at the dealers this week and both vans there had quite bad dents one was their demo.
Hope the one you’re looking at is ok.
See if you can take out any additional warrant/service package.
Good luck

Just echoing other comments - on sunny days we’ve easily gone five days plus with the solar without any problems and when you’re travelling around, even less of a problem. Battery typically goes down to maybe 60% over night but then back to 100% in the day. More of a problem in winter but I think that would be the same even with more solar. We also use a standalone Jackery for phones, charging, rice cooker outside, small George Foreman grill . Just to add — the restriction for us being off grid is the toilet cassette - we always need to empty the cassette before we’ve run out of solar..

Hi the other major thing to check is for any deformity’s around the windows. This can become worse in hot weather.
I had this issue and VW Germany would not sanction any work under warranty. I was at the dealers this week and both vans there had quite bad dents one was their demo.
Hope the one you’re looking at is ok.
See if you can take out any additional warrant/service package.
Good luck
The one I’m looking at is a private sale and comes with 2 services still available on the service plan which are transferable to new owner. Thanks

Thanks, do you ever use it to plug it in to the vans EHU to charge the leisure battery?
Yes, that's what I meant when I said it acts like an EHU - it's the same connector as when you plug in at home with a 3-pin 240V domestic plug. The difference being you plug it in to the Bluetti or any 1kWh power bank / solar generator.

It even works with the pass-through, where the panels are adding charge, while the vehicle is drawing the charge and charging the leisure battery, simultaneously.

...note that when I said 'any 1kWh solar generator, you need one with a pure signwave inverter and an AC socket to plug the EHU cable into.

The one I’m looking at is a private sale and comes with 2 services still available on the service plan which are transferable to new owner. Thanks
Sorry misinterpreted the Birmingham reference.
This is what the new tap and step look like. (The step has a black panel and not silver)
Check the rear cupboards above the bed for water damage as the third brake light can leak.

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

Sorry misinterpreted the Birmingham reference.
This is what the new tap and step look like. (The step has a black panel and not silver)
Check the rear cupboards above the bed for water damage as the third brake light can leak.

View attachment 109872

View attachment 109873
So, I can see from the pictures of the GC I’m viewing tomorrow that it’s an all silver step. If it’s working ok, should there still be concerns etc? Also if it’s not the newer tap and is also working ok, should this also be concerning? Many thanks

Hi I’ve had both replaced under warranty due to faults. Not everyone has had issues but a search of other post will give you more info

Hi I’ve had both replaced under warranty due to faults. Not everyone has had issues but a search of other post will give you more info
Thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated. Let’s see how the viewing goes tomorrow morning!

Just a note to say thanks for peoples advice etc. Just got back and have put a deposit down on the GC and plan to collect next weekend. Seller is having a new MOT put on in the week And it has 2 remaining VW services on a service plan. it had the tap replaced, no signs of water leaks in the rear cupboarods, step seemed to be working fine etc. it’s a 680 GC 4motion with most additional options added, lane departure, tow bar, AC, Sat Dish (although I’d prefer it without that!). Mojave/Candy White.

Just a note to say thanks for peoples advice etc. Just got back and have put a deposit down on the GC and plan to collect next weekend. Seller is having a new MOT put on in the week And it has 2 remaining VW services on a service plan. it had the tap replaced, no signs of water leaks in the rear cupboarods, step seemed to be working fine etc. it’s a 680 GC 4motion with most additional options added, lane departure, tow bar, AC, Sat Dish (although I’d prefer it without that!). Mojave/Candy White.
Well done, sounds a great loaded spec and the best colour combo ;)
It’s going to be a long week!

Sound great good luck

It certainly is! Although need the buyers of our Adria Motorhome to collect that first to release the funds!!

love your windscreen cover! Is that the “champagne“ colour option?

Back