Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding a portable Lithium generator to Grand California?

Hi again folks, perhaps someone has already thought of or done this?…

To extend the “off grid” capability of the van (particularly during winter trips when I’ll get little solar and campsites in the north west close, and partly as a backup after recent experiences!), I’m thinking of getting one of these (I know there are other options of these type of things so just take this as an indicative example)…

…and would like to be able to use it to extend the range of the leisure battery already integrated into the van.

With the way the GC is currently wired, the only way I think I could use this would be to plug it in to the hookup on the exterior of the van, which would mean leaving the “generator” outside. It would also use the inverter on the generator (to go from dc to ac) then again the inverter in the van (to go back to dc again, so < 50% efficiency!?

So I’m wondering if there would be a neat way of adding an input of some kind so the lithium battery can charge the agm battery in the van without any inverters. In a simple way, I’m thinking it could be lake an alternative to solar charging input…

I may be way off base here, dreaming, or missed a number of points!

However, has anyone done anything like this? Better ideas welcomed, but the objective is to just use a lithium battery bank to be able to both function independently as a power bank (charge laptops, cameras etc) but also charge the leisure battery in an efficient way.
Hi,
I invested the eco flow delta, after looking to see what options I had to run my wife’s dyson hair wrap & backup, you can charge it up by cigarette,solar panel & mains very quick charging.
So now I take our nesspreso coffee machine with us every where. Better than messing about with the electric in the cali

Oh god....so confused. So @domijchayhoe you have simply dropped in one of these

and all fine?.....correct.

Also the GC, a modern cat 6 diesel with a smart alternator, uses a split charge relay?? I was under the impression that was not possible and a DC to DC charger was needed.

help please....
No to clarify, that was on my previous van.

After investigating teh VW's electrics I thought better of it and just bought a Jackery.

Back