Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding a portable Lithium generator to Grand California?

I bought 8 life po4 lithium battery's - 210 AH off a friend for £600. He ordered too many from China.
24v inverter with charger from ebay (£240). Had them in a plastic box for a while while I tried them. Also bought a 24v 8S from Daly but not used it yet as battery's balance fine. Inverter cuts off + 3.4 volts so protects them form over charging. I made a wooden shelf in the gas cupboard and straps battery's down and hard foam between gas bottle , inverter and batteries. Front panel then presses on foam to hold all the assemble rigid. Works a treat. Off grid 5 days will my laptops and screen. Also use my toaster and microwave a few times. Been cloudy so also been keeping my leisure batteries topped up. Going forward, I could fit the Daly BMS, but batteries are staying well balanced so far. I have always got my ohm meter with me. Game changer. Could also buy a DC to DC charger and charge from the large engine generator. Need long cables and make sure it does not damage the alternator when charging etc etc.

Im
Confused why this is needed when you could just upgrade your leisure battery?
Drop in a Lifepo4 lithium and no other changes needed which doubles the usable capacity even if you don’t go up from the 92ah which you probably would too.

I have a 110ah lithium the sage size as the original 92ah AGM.

Im
Confused why this is needed when you could just upgrade your leisure battery?
Drop in a Lifepo4 lithium and no other changes needed which doubles the usable capacity even if you don’t go up from the 92ah which you probably would too.

I have a 110ah lithium the sage size as the original 92ah AGM.
Far as I know the GC has a split charge relay and would need to be replaced with a DC to DC converter/charger.
I’m going down this path you mentioned, but first upgrading the a solar by adding an additional 100w panel and upgrading the solar controllers.
You would also need to consider a Lithium battery with self heating for the colder months, depending on your location and travel ambitions. Unfortunately VW have not made it as simple as it could be to do all these things.
Iv just finished routing additional cables behind the shower to the electric or cupboard from the front. That was no easy task.

Far as I know the GC has a split charge relay and would need to be replaced with a DC to DC converter/charger.
I’m going down this path you mentioned, but first upgrading the a solar by adding an additional 100w panel and upgrading the solar controllers.
You would also need to consider a Lithium battery with self heating for the colder months, depending on your location and travel ambitions. Unfortunately VW have not made it as simple as it could be to do all these things.
Iv just finished routing additional cables behind the shower to the electric or cupboard from the front. That was no easy task.
Why is this required for a Lifepo4 battery which most retailers list as Plug n Play?

They have a different charge profile, different bulk, absorption and float voltages. I wish it was that easy.
That's odd, as I've been doing just this for over a year now with zero problems.

My research on it before doing it led me to many websites with info on stating a Lifepo4 can be just dropped in, to replace a lead/acid.

That's odd, as I've been doing just this for over a year now with zero problems.

My research on it before doing it led me to many websites with info on stating a Lifepo4 can be just dropped in, to replace a lead/acid.

A3C1BFFB-1037-4512-99AF-5D2539A1FB86.jpeg

What’s worse then that is charging then at low temperatures, there is loads of information online about this.

Changing to Lithium Leisure Batteries in the real world.

What’s worse then that is charging then at low temperatures, there is loads of information online about this.
If you just drop-in a Lifepo4 battery with no added BMS you may see the issues you are mentioning, however almost all Lifepo4 batteries I have seen mentioned for direct replacements have an on-board BMS.

Yes, also you can order some with heating too for up to -20 C charging.

This is the battery I have been using successfully, straight drop-in.

Eco tree Lithium Iron Phosphate EL12.8-110AH

Changing to Lithium Leisure Batteries in the real world.

That's a massive thread! :D

And the summary is..... :D

That's a massive thread! :D

And the summary is..... :D
Basically, not a problem but other changes need to be made. eg: the standard VW split charge relay and intelligent alternator limit charging for engine and leisure batteries to 80% capacity and Regenerative braking produces high voltage peaks. Replacing the VW Split Charge Relay with a DC to DC charger for lithium type batteries gives a 100% charge and better profile hence longer life.
Given the cost of such batteries it pays to treat them correctly.

Basically, not a problem but other changes need to be made. eg: the standard VW split charge relay and intelligent alternator limit charging for engine and leisure batteries to 80% capacity and Regenerative braking produces high voltage peaks. Replacing the VW Split Charge Relay with a DC to DC charger for lithium type batteries gives a 100% charge and better profile hence longer life.
Given the cost of such batteries it pays to treat them correctly.
Thanks. Yes I appreciate the B2B charger is the ideal solution.

What I read was it may work with your existing charger but NOT with smart alternators, I think everyone in this GC thread can be 100% sure they have a smart alternator.

As some of the others posted, considering the cost of the LP4 batteries you should probably get a DC 2 DC and do it properly to get 100% out of the battery.
I’d like to add to that LP4 are in fact Lithium, and considering the cost of what we just spent on these vans, plus a battery upgrade an additional £250ish on a good DC2DC charger is well spent.
Besides if there is any grey areas with the upgrade, VW will use that to blame all the electrical issues on your new battery. My 2pc

I think I'm going for a Hyundai HPS 1100 power station charge it via mains or 12v when driving.
Then when needed plug the 240v output into the external electric hook up .
Downside ,expensive and cable from inside to out.

I think I'm going for a Hyundai HPS 1100 power station charge it via mains or 12v when driving.
Sounding like a good idea at the moment.

Tbh not that much more expensive that a lithium battery of equal size and a good inverter. PLus you wont need the B2B either.

What I read was it may work with your existing charger but NOT with smart alternators, I think everyone in this GC thread can be 100% sure they have a smart alternator.

As some of the others posted, considering the cost of the LP4 batteries you should probably get a DC 2 DC and do it properly to get 100% out of the battery.
I’d like to add to that LP4 are in fact Lithium, and considering the cost of what we just spent on these vans, plus a battery upgrade an additional £250ish on a good DC2DC charger is well spent.
Besides if there is any grey areas with the upgrade, VW will use that to blame all the electrical issues on your new battery. My 2pc
That's a good point, I hadn't considered the smart alternator.

What to do....

Standby for a few days, iv ordered a Bluetooth EB240 and 2x 200w solar panels. Will take a few snaps and post some real life results of running hours plugged in and then with the trickle charger under the seat unplugged. I also plan to try the water heater and heater, I’ll report back with my personal thoughts, as this is a 2400 watt pack.

Standby for a few days, iv ordered a Bluetooth EB240 and 2x 200w solar panels. Will take a few snaps and post some real life results of running hours plugged in and then with the trickle charger under the seat unplugged. I also plan to try the water heater and heater, I’ll report back with my personal thoughts, as this is a 2400 watt pack.
Is that the electric heating element?
What is the lowest setting is it 4 amp on a GC other wise it might struggle doing elec heating and whatever the GC throws at it.
I was just using it for fridge ,diesel heating and accessories.
If it's the one online it's only rated at 1000w the EB240

Yeah
Is that the electric heating element?
What is the lowest setting is it 4 amp on a GC other wise it might struggle doing elec heating and whatever the GC throws at it.
I was just using it for fridge ,diesel heating and accessories.
If it's the one online it's only rated at 1000w the EB240
you’re right it’s 1000w per socket, was meaning 2400watt total battery capacity. Hopefully that will keep the GC running an additional 3 days, Unfortunatmy I think you’re right with the water heating element, but I’m going to try it anyway :)

Where are yu putting these panels as they wont fit on the roof!

Oh god....so confused. So @domijchayhoe you have simply dropped in one of these

and all fine?.....correct.

Also the GC, a modern cat 6 diesel with a smart alternator, uses a split charge relay?? I was under the impression that was not possible and a DC to DC charger was needed.

help please....

Back