Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

From the Ocean to the Beach :-)

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Ok, now finally have to admit it, cannot realistically afford a Ocean :-( so now eyeing up a beach (still exciting) and will have to use camping equipment to make it have some of the oceans creature comforts

Would really appreciate your advice on this one u Cali gurus ;-),
1.) Does the Beach have a built in heater as dont like the thought of me, my wife and 2 kids freezing incase a warm day turns into a cold night

2.) It states extra 12v battery in the brochure, but does that mean u can use a kettle and/or frdge without killing main battery (if off grid) or is it only good for a LED torch or something of similar low power.

3.) Also, does it come wth a table and if so, can i use a portable gas cooker to heat food or does the beach not have the same ventilation as a ocean and therefore not as safe?

As always, really look forward to your responses and wisdom! :)

Kindest regards

Marc
From N. Wales

Good morning,

The beach as standard doesn’t come with a heater..that would be an extra

It does have an extra battery 12v but to use a kettle you would need to be connected to a hook up

The beach comes with a table which is stored in the sliding door, this then sits in a rail on the non sliding door side, there is a sliding window that side so you could cook for sure

Hope this helps and happy buying

A beach is do-able for so many on this forum.
The real question is does it do what you want?
If not, and assuming you are looking at a new beach then is a used T5 SE out of the question?
There are many reasons for the price difference and the lack of a standard heater is I beleive one of those short comings.
On the other hand your possibilities to improvise / customise are plentiful.
I'd consider used without a shadow of doubt where as others love the beach, your further research and this question is likely to be very busy ..good luck :thumb

We were absolutely going to order an Ocean when we started planning the project. Drove lots of Oceans in varying powerplant/driveline configurations and was totally taken with them. When the day came to place the order I just couldn't get past the fact that no matter what, this 3 tonne luxury van could never have as many seat belts as our Golf... So we spec'd up a Beach with nearly everything an Ocean has and traded the kitchen/cabinets for another three seat belts. This was not the cheaper way to get a parking heater, haha. Also, loads of different styles of removable kitchen pods are available to choose from. For me, this gives that maximum versatility to these wonderful machines.

As has been said, you need to know what YOU want. In my T3, I only use the hob for making coffee and never use the water system. So in hind sight, seems odd that we were so set on having an Ocean. Still waiting for delivery... ho-hum

Happy shopping!!

Thank you very much for your replies.

Dont really want a new one as the HMRC £1.5k ved is a pure insult (and rip off) to all hardworkijg peolle who already pay enough tax so looking at 2-3 years old with a euro 6 engine. A se wouod be great but really hold their price well so a beach seems to meet my spec and budget.

I would like to go camping on weekends with my 2 kids and wife and maybe go some working away so spend a night or maybe 2 on on my own here and there (off grid) but would eat out if working away

Been YouTubing Beachs but not that many vids. Didn't know it had a table, which would be great for very basic cooking and some laptop work (i assume?)

Look forward to more wisdom, really enjoy reading your hints and tips! Thank you

Welcome to the forum. I have a t5 se which has all of the normal fittings in six months of ownership I have yet to use the water system I do use the cooker for heating food The heater is very important to me. The fridge is a must have for me. We all have different requirements you must decide what is important to you. There are many low mileage t5s out there and they are usually in a well looked after condition given the price when new I would rather have a good condition t5 that fits what I want than a new t6 that doesn't quite hit the spot.

Ok, now finally have to admit it, cannot realistically afford a Ocean :-( so now eyeing up a beach (still exciting) and will have to use camping equipment to make it have some of the oceans creature comforts

Would really appreciate your advice on this one u Cali gurus ;-),
1.) Does the Beach have a built in heater as dont like the thought of me, my wife and 2 kids freezing incase a warm day turns into a cold night

2.) It states extra 12v battery in the brochure, but does that mean u can use a kettle and/or frdge without killing main battery (if off grid) or is it only good for a LED torch or something of similar low power.

3.) Also, does it come wth a table and if so, can i use a portable gas cooker to heat food or does the beach not have the same ventilation as a ocean and therefore not as safe?

As always, really look forward to your responses and wisdom! :)

Kindest regards

Marc
From N. Wales

Can I suggest you get in contact with Lookers VW Commercial Vans in Newcastle. They buy in 5-8 Demonstrators at a time mainly "Beach" and they fit Parking Heaters to all of them. They then sell them on at great prices with very little miles. They just sold a White Beauty with 25 miles on with Parking Heater and LOADS of spec for £42500. I spoke to them and they always have demos for sale ALL with parking heaters. :thumb

Four of us, plus dog, have been happily living in a Beach for the best part of nine months.

The diesel heater is extra.

I badly damaged our battery by using a 12 volt kettle.

The battery is fine for fridge, lighting and charging phones and tablets. The only differences with the Ocean is you have one additional battery, not two, and you don't have an inverter. (I'm not sure how much use the inverter is anyway as the current you can draw is severely limited ?1 amp?)

So - with the Beach you lose the kitchen and wardrobe. In return you can have up to seven seats. You can make a nice dining area for five or a cramped dining area for seven. The lower berth is a massive 1.5m wide.

Apart from our 12 volt kettle, which we no longer use, we cart around Europe three cooking appliances.
1. Double gas hob with grill
2. Cadac gas BBQ
3. 800 Watt electric ring

We use the gas appliances under the awning with 907 and 909 gas bottles, and the ring either in the awning or in the van when on hookup.

Others happily use a gas cartridge stove in the van.

The Beach is a truly remarkable family car.
1. Seven seat MPV
2. Four/five berth family sleeping accommodation
3. Van for trips to Ikea

You can set up a kitchen and living area in a driveaway awning.

The battery will last at least 2 nights without hookup. You double this with a 100 Watt solar panel on the roof and to more or less indefinite with two 100 Watt panels.

Before damaging our battery, we spent four happy months camping more or less every night without hook up. Shorter days, a lower sun, more cloud and greater demand for lighting makes this harder in the winter months.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hello Mark,
Until last year, my wife and I had one of the very last T5 SE 180ps dsg 4motion Calis made, bought in 2015 as as ex demonstrator. So pleased were we with that vehicle that six months later we replaced our shrinking, old family banger with another three month old ex demo Cali, this time a T6 150ps manual Beach seven seater. Unfortunately, we have since sold the SE due only to our family circumstances meaning that we no longer have sufficient time to use it as we had originally intended.

Now I mention this for one reason only and that is to reassure you that you will find the Beach absolutely fabulous, especially with kids. I have no wish to re kindle the old Beach verses SE/Ocean debate but of the two Cali versions we have found the Beach to be by far the most versatile vehicle. So don't feel you are having to go for second best. Both versions are different and serve different purposes and you should buy the one that suits your circumstances best. If you want a full on camper-van then look for a T5 SE or T6 Ocean but if you want a vehicle that will serve many purposes well and also serve as an excellent camper-van then go for the Beach. I can assure you that there is nothing that can be done an Ocean that you couldn't do in a Beach.

However, you must bide your time and find the one that is right for you.

The basic Beach doesn't come with a parking heater. You should find one that has this factory fitted option with remote control included. You will find this feature absolutely amazing and in a campervan it's a must have. You can have a heater retro fitted but it's much easier IMO to find one with a factory fitted one.

The Beach has one leisure battery instead of the Oceans two. This hasn't provided us with any issues to date. You can run a fridge for several days without any problems at all. As for boiling electric kettles, you can do this perfectly well when on electric hook up. If you are not then we boil water on a gas stove.

The Beach has the same picnic chairs housed in the same boot storage facility as the SE/Ocean. It also has the same picnic table also housed in the sliding door like the SE/Ocean. It doesn't have a second sliding table inside like the SE/Ocean but I'm sure you could buy a picnic table to suit your needs for very little from most camping shops.

You will find the Beach has more room inside and is less compromised due to the lack of kitchen etc. For anyone with more than two children or with kids who have school friends that they want to bring with them, I would suggest the seven seater version.

I also suggest you try looking for an ex-demo as they can sometimes be a way of getting a well dealer specced demo van at a much reduced price. You won't find a 4motion version here in the UK as it has never been an option on the Beach. However, I've been using my 2wd Beach all week (albeit with winter snow tyres fitted) in the appalling "Beast from the East" conditions with no problems what so ever. I do recommend the dsg gearbox though. A Cali with dsg is so nice to drive and why change gears manually when you don't have to. Ours is a manual and very fine it is too but having had a dsg before I would have preferred one on this Cali if I'd had the choice.

What ever you decide, good luck.

Last edited:
I started looking at SE/Ocean, but then went for a Beach in the end. Worked out perfect for us.

We cook a lot, using a gas-cartridge stove on top on the table. We added the overnight heater, this is a must have IMO. We have a small compressor fridge between the front seats. Leisure battery has performed well, happily running fridge, heater and charging phones laptops etc etc for a few days off-grid. We don't stay in the same place for much longer than a day or two, so a bit of a drive recharges the batteries.

For us, the extra space in the Beach is probably something we would miss if changing to a SE/Ocean. We like the full-width lower bed, and the 3-seat bench seat to lay across (like a sofa) also.

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 12.03.17.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 12.03.36.png
fridge.png

Last edited:
Four of us, plus dog, have been happily living in a Beach for the best part of nine months.

The diesel heater is extra.

I badly damaged our battery by using a 12 volt kettle.

The battery is fine for fridge, lighting and charging phones and tablets. The only differences with the Ocean is you have one additional battery, not two, and you don't have an inverter. (I'm not sure how much use the inverter is anyway as the current you can draw is severely limited ?1 amp?)

So - with the Beach you lose the kitchen and wardrobe. In return you can have up to seven seats. You can make a nice dining area for five or a cramped dining area for seven. The lower berth is a massive 1.5m wide.

Apart from our 12 volt kettle, which we no longer use, we cart around Europe three cooking appliances.
1. Double gas hob with grill
2. Cadac gas BBQ
3. 800 Watt electric ring

We use the gas appliances under the awning with 907 and 909 gas bottles, and the ring either in the awning or in the van when on hookup.

Others happily use a gas cartridge stove in the van.

The Beach is a truly remarkable family car.
1. Seven seat MPV
2. Four/five berth family sleeping accommodation
3. Van for trips to Ikea

You can set up a kitchen and living area in a driveaway awning.

The battery will last at least 2 nights without hookup. You double this with a 100 Watt solar panel on the roof and to more or less indefinite with two 100 Watt panels.

Before damaging our battery, we spent four happy months camping more or less every night without hook up. Shorter days, a lower sun, more cloud and greater demand for lighting makes this harder in the winter months.

Fabulous advice, thank you so much!!!!! Just thought a beach for the extra savings because just cant afford a ocean, but seems people really love theri beach calis whihc is really great to hear!!

Hello Mark,
Until last year, my wife and I had one of the very last T5 SE 180ps dsg 4motion Calis made, bought in 2015 as as ex demonstrator. So pleased were we with that vehicle that six months later we replaced our shrinking, old family banger with another three month old ex demo Cali, this time a T6 150ps manual Beach seven seater. Unfortunately, we have since sold the SE due only to our family circumstances meaning that we no longer have sufficient time to use it as we had originally intended.

Now I mention this for one reason only and that is to reassure you that you will find the Beach absolutely fabulous, especially with kids. I have no wish to re kindle the old Beach verses SE/Ocean debate but of the two Cali versions we have found the Beach to be by far the most versatile vehicle. So don't feel you are having to go for second best. Both versions are different and serve different purposes and you should buy the one that suits their circumstances best. If you want a full on camper-van then look for a T5 SE or T6 Ocean but if you want a vehicle that will serve many purposes well and also serve as an excellent camper-van then go for the Beach. I can assure you that there is nothing that can be done an Ocean that you couldn't do in a Beach.

However, you must bide your time and find the one that is right for you.

The basic Beach doesn't come with a parking heater. You should find one that has this factory fitted option with remote control included. You will find this feature absolutely amazing and in a campervan it's a must have. You can have a heater retro fitted but it's much easier IMO to find one with a factory fitted one.

The Beach has one leisure battery instead of the Oceans two. This hasn't provided us with any issues to date. You can run a fridge for several days without any problems at all. As for boiling electric kettles, you can do this perfectly well when on electric hook up. If you are not then we boil water on a gas stove.

The Beach has the same picnic chairs housed in the same boot storage facility as the SE/Ocean. It also has the same picnic table also housed in the sliding door like the SE/Ocean. It doesn't have a second sliding table inside like the SE/Ocean but I'm sure you could buy a picnic table to suit your needs for very little from most camping shops.

You will find the Beach has more room inside and is less compromised due to the lack of kitchen etc. For anyone with more than two children or with kids who have school friends that they want to bring with them, I would suggest the seven seater version.

I also suggest you try looking for an ex-demo as they can sometimes be a way of getting a well dealer specced demo van at a much reduced price. You won't find a 4motion version here in the UK as it has never been an option on the Beach. However, I've been using my 2wd Beach all week (albeit with winter snow tyres fitted) in the appalling "Beast from the East" conditions with no problems what so ever. I do recommend the dsg gearbox though. A Cali with dsg is so nice to drive and why change gears manually when you don't have to. Ours is a manual and very fine it is too but having had a dsg before I would have preferred one on this Cali if I'd had the choice.

What ever you decide, good luck.
Once gain, thank you sooooo much for such an indepth reply and sharing your experinces. Whatever the Calis do to you all, you all seem a great bunch and so kind spedning your time replying to cali newbies like myself, thank you!!!!

I started looking at SE/Ocean, but then went for a Beach in the end. Worked out perfect for us.

We cook a lot, using a gas-cartridge stove on top on the table. We added the overnight heater, this is a must have IMO. We have a small compressor fridge between the front seats. Leisure battery has performed well, happily running fridge, heater and charging phones laptops etc etc for a few days off-grid. We don't stay in the same place for much longer than a day or two, so a bit of a drive recharges the batteries.

For us, the extra space in the Beach is probably something we would miss if changing to a SE/Ocean. We like the full-width lower bed, and the 3-seat bench seat to lay across (like a sofa) also.

View attachment 30566

View attachment 30567
Brilliant explanation of cooking and fridge options and thank you for sharing your photos, they have sold me on the beach, the photos are like theyve been copied staight from a VW Beach brochure!!!. Honestly thought i was going to have to 'make do' with a beach as really wanted a Ocean and very naive of me to not even consider it, but from your tales and replies, there really are some great pros to a beach!!! Love the gas hob on the table, that was my concern. If i can boil water for a cuppa for me and my wife, Im sold i!! I have read several threads on ocean v beach on this forum website (and they can get quite fiery), but after reading all of them, its quite clear whatever you have,these calis make the owners soooo VERY happy, even part of your dna and give you a wonderful opportunity to some great adventures, even if its just down to Ikea! Thank you all for your wonderful replies!!! Whether you have a Ocean or Beach, you are all very lucky!

Please also note that both the above listed Beach models are "two-seater bench". It means that adding two single seats you can reach 6 seats max, BUT you will have extra space on the left side to store long sports items (as surf boards, bike etc.) - by pulling out the side cabinet.

Fabulous advice, thank you so much!!!!! Just thought a beach for the extra savings because just cant afford a ocean, but seems people really love theri beach calis whihc is really great to hear!!

The Beach and Ocean are two very different vehicles.

The Ocean is a camper van.
It is perfect for couples, perhaps with one or two small children, who enjoy camping

The Beach is a camping van.
It is a large family car which is also very good for family camping holidays.

The Beach is a probably the best MPV money can buy.

You need to ask yourself what you predominately intend to use it for.

I mainly just wanted a versatile 5 seater family car and after looking first at Transporter Kombi and then at a Caravelle, ended at the Beach due to the swivel front seats, pop top, beds and internal table for virtually no additional cost over the Caravelle.

In the 2 years I've had mine, we have only slept in it for about 20 nights but it's been a fantastic football bus, a great mobile shed and also the occasional comfy camper.

We had the same dilemma with 2 kids, we have had our beach for nearly 6 months now but not used it properly yet, still in the garage but we are sure the extra space is what you need like us.

Forgot to add, I have 3 kids and knowing my other half would only camp in summer, did not spec a parking heater!

Last edited:
l forgot to mention that whilst the Beach is a fabulous multi purpose vehicle there is one issue that does need some consideration.

We have the seven seater version which IMO is about the ultimate in multi use family vehicles. Yes, you can carry seven adults and their stuff in luxury but most people don't do that all of the time. For us the seven seater function is a very useful but only occasionally used bonus. You can also easily equip it for use as a camper van with self contained fridge/freezer, cooker, multiflex board, comfort mattress, bedding etc etc. However, to get the most out of Beach ownership and fully exploit the various roles that this vehicle can perform so well, it will be necessary to quickly reconfigure the internal layout for each role.

So, depending on which version you purchase and how you use it, you may need somewhere dry to store your camping equipment and two captains swivel seats. Considering the weight of these extra seats, you won't be wanting to carry them up or down stairs either. If you do go for a seven seater, I recommend that you purchase a small collapsible flatbed trolley to move the seats to and from your storage. They aren't expensive and will save your back.

The Beach will perform many roles extremely well but you will need some storage space elsewhere to get the most out of it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Forgot to add, I have 3 kids and knowing my other half would only camp in summer, did not spec a parking heater!
I think people put too much emphasis on the parking heater. It is a very expensive option.

We have a 500 watt electric heater which we use to heat the driveaway awning when on hookup. It could also be used to heat the van when on hookup. It cost 19.99 Euros.

If having a family picnic in winter, there is the magic "rest" button which provides ~30 minutes of •free• heating. If you need more heat (or air conditioning) you can always run the engine.

I'm very glad that we have our diesel heater, it is well used, but its usefulness all depends on how much off grid heating you need for > 30 minutes.

If a previous beach owner hasn't gone to the expense of specifying the parking heater, chances are they haven't paid for the upgrade to the climate control needed to get the rest button. Basic aircon doesn't have it.

You also need to be aware early beaches didn't come with mains hook up, then it was an option for a while before becoming standard.

For us its the parking heater that makes the van (whether a beach or / se ) truly versatile for those times that you are not on a campsite & not necessarily camping. Its when its a mobile changing room at the beach, somewhere for our youngest to do homework whilst eldest is playing football that the heater gets used most and of course the pre-heat on the winter mornings when using it for work.

Last edited:
I've used a thermostatic plug and tubular heater a couple of times when on hook up similar to below. Located the heater in passenger footwell. It worked fine

Screenshot_20180304-124555.png

View attachment 30622

If a previous beach owner hasn't gone to the expense of specifying the parking heater, chances are they haven't paid for the upgrade to the climate control needed to get the rest button. Basic aircon doesn't have it.

You also need to be aware early beaches didn't come with mains hook up, then it was an option for a while before becoming standard.
I was not aware of the basic air con not having the "rest" feature.

I still maintain that the usefulness or otherwise of the parking heater is dependent on how the van is used and the users' tolerance to cold.

I think people put too much emphasis on the parking heater. It is a very expensive option.

We have a 500 watt electric heater which we use to heat the driveaway awning when on hookup. It could also be used to heat the van when on hookup. It cost 19.99 Euros.

If having a family picnic in winter, there is the magic "rest" button which provides ~30 minutes of •free• heating. If you need more heat (or air conditioning) you can always run the engine.

I'm very glad that we have our diesel heater, it is well used, but its usefulness all depends on how much off grid heating you need for > 30 minutes.

:Nailbiting What no heater! Given the choice I'd rather go without wheels than not have that glorious parking heater.
It's been on overtime for the last week and I use it every morning to defrost the van and warm it up before the school run. It's my number 1 accessory of all time on any vehicle.
Having said that, I have just ordered a mini electric heater to try and rinse every last drop of juice from the site supply when on hook up. It was either that or an arc welding kit.