Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Soon to be on the Beach

C

Californicator

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi
Like many here have perused this forum for a while (thanks for all the info) and excited to have been offered a second hand 2015 T5 Beach, which I'm picking up at the weekend! Lots of adventures to come hopefully.
The only concern I had is I've got no drive at home so need to park it on the street. Nice area but a city residential street where parking can sometimes be tricky. It's got parking sensors and will mainly be used for weekend or day trips out of the city. What are people's experiences on this, anyone else in the same boat and does the Beach attract unwanted attention or tend to get left alone?

Hi Californicator,
Congratulations on the new Beach. They are great vehicles and very versatile so you will have a great time in it.
I think that you will find that you are not alone in parking your Cali on street. So far I haven't read about any problems as a result. So fold your mirrors, possibly pull down the blinds and keep your fingers crossed. Anyway IMO most people have't a clue what a California is and will pass it by without a second glance.

Thanks Borris, thanks for the reassurance & good to hear! I'm thus far from the school of " bangernomics" with regards to cars until I'm able to move out into the sticks and get a drive. Had a few scrapes, bust wing mirror episodes etc even so but life is too short and the Cali is much needed for my weekend escapades! It's a fairly unobtrusive colour (white) but I may take the awning off too for even more stealth when parked up at home

Welcome , if you register VIP member you wil be able to download the "handover list" the money spent on memership of the forum could well be recuperated if there is something missing in the verhicle , plus you will get discounts at our sponsors....
A must have imo.

Hi
Like many here have perused this forum for a while (thanks for all the info) and excited to have been offered a second hand 2015 T5 Beach, which I'm picking up at the weekend! Lots of adventures to come hopefully.
The only concern I had is I've got no drive at home so need to park it on the street. Nice area but a city residential street where parking can sometimes be tricky. It's got parking sensors and will mainly be used for weekend or day trips out of the city. What are people's experiences on this, anyone else in the same boat and does the Beach attract unwanted attention or tend to get left alone?
Have you considered keeping your van in a storage yard ? If you find a CASSOA approved yard you'll probably get a discount on vehicle insurance.
http://www.cassoa.co.uk

Welcome , if you register VIP member you wil be able to download the "handover list" the money spent on memership of the forum could well be recuperated if there is something missing in the verhicle , plus you will get discounts at our sponsors....
A must have imo.
thanks for this info - will definitely do that

Have you considered keeping your van in a storage yard ? If you find a CASSOA approved yard you'll probably get a discount on vehicle insurance.
http://www.cassoa.co.uk
interesting idea i wasn't aware of, many thanks. Although worryingly the one nearest me is in Wythenshawe which ordinarily is the last place I'd want to leave a vehicle ;-)

Hi

Californicator,

Welcome. I am a newbie too, virgin as they come, to the Cali. My Beach arriving within 2 weeks and will be a 66 registration.

Great choice of user name too, btw! Reminds me Swiss German colleague from 20 years ago who used to rave on about his classic Cali camper van.

In his youth he had put curtains all around and drove from one Swiss town to another. Actually from nightclub to nightclub where he invited young ladies of his choice a visit to his Cali boudoir, which he had equipped with cushions and matress.

He could never tell us without bursting into giggles and laughter. I suppose all fine for a young man aged 19 or 20 in the mid 70s. Many jokes about the Calis suspension and anti roll bars were made at his expense, which he took in good spirit.

Now, I am sure you have no such plans in mind, but your choice of user name immediately evoked memories of Bruno, the Swiss German Lothario.

Enjoy the Cali in good spirit and post photos okys keep us updated about youelr adventures.

so far so good - my Beach gets parked on street and off street - its my everyday car and scheduled to do 30k plus miles this year. it does not seem to attract unwanted attention, and although bright yellow seems pretty anonymous ..... i am more concerned about tight supermarket parking and careless door clashes ..... i generally park in parent and child spaces - you will soon become cool about it - happy times

Californicator,

Welcome. I am a newbie too, virgin as they come, to the Cali. My Beach arriving within 2 weeks and will be a 66 registration.

Great choice of user name too, btw! Reminds me Swiss German colleague from 20 years ago who used to rave on about his classic Cali camper van.

In his youth he had put curtains all around and drove from one Swiss town to another. Actually from nightclub to nightclub where he invited young ladies of his choice a visit to his Cali boudoir, which he had equipped with cushions and matress.

He could never tell us without bursting into giggles and laughter. I suppose all fine for a young man aged 19 or 20 in the mid 70s. Many jokes about the Calis suspension and anti roll bars were made at his expense, which he took in good spirit.

Now, I am sure you have no such plans in mind, but your choice of user name immediately evoked memories of Bruno, the Swiss German Lothario.

Enjoy the Cali in good spirit and post photos okys keep us updated about youelr adventures.
Excellent VW Cali that post made me laugh lots. My handle started out as Californication after a rather good tune by a certain band from California but too many letters so I truncated it. A holiday touring Switzerland like Lotharia Bruno would go down a treat although i suspect my partner and 4 yr old may object somewhat! Am certainly looking forward to some adventures though and hope you enjoy your new vehicle also!
I bet Bruno's 70's Cali didn't cost 30 odd grand!

so far so good - my Beach gets parked on street and off street - its my everyday car and scheduled to do 30k plus miles this year. it does not seem to attract unwanted attention, and although bright yellow seems pretty anonymous ..... i am more concerned about tight supermarket parking and careless door clashes ..... i generally park in parent and child spaces - you will soon become cool about it - happy times
great stuff Cali Fate - fingers crossed and thanks for the reassurance. I love the yellow Cali's. Looked at a silver T6 recently but a yellow new delivery was parked next to it and looked much more appropriate so i didn't buy the silver one

Excellent VW Cali that post made me laugh lots. My handle started out as Californication after a rather good tune by a certain band from California but too many letters so I truncated it. A holiday touring Switzerland like Lotharia Bruno would go down a treat although i suspect my partner and 4 yr old may object somewhat! Am certainly looking forward to some adventures though and hope you enjoy your new vehicle also!
I bet Bruno's 70's Cali didn't cost 30 odd grand!

I have a 4 year old too! Plus one a few years older.

Yes, I suppose that would put paid to any Bruno type ambitions. My ambition is to convince myself to go biking....the montain bikes have been in ths garage since bought 5 years ago!

30 grand? Either v cheap or v expensive! You shall found out!

Mine coning in at roughly 50 grand, but I have been convinced by some posters on another thread that neither VW nor dealers make any margin on Calis!

This 'convinces' me of its unique value...

Back