Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First night away - Studland

BenCar

BenCar

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After many months of planning, buying, cleaning & accessorising, our first trip away was from home down to the south coast around Studland/Swanage.
We booked to stay in a camper/motorhome site but tbh it wasn't our thing as it was 98% caravans and motorhomes, evidently a lot of them were permanent homes with encampments/fences/dogs/burger vans etc.

The second night we just camped by the side of a road and it was beautiful, lesson learnt for us.
The van was superb, the tea delicious and the sleep was well won after some epic walks with the dog.

A couple of things to note:
  • The need for some kind of toilet solution if we're going to be off camp
  • Some mats for the 3 steps to put muddy shoes etc
  • Find out what's causing the leisure battery drain (90%-30% in a day with just the fridge on low). I've just had a new Alpine headhunt installed and wonder if that's the culprit or it's because prior to our ownership the batteries had never been charged apart from when the van was very infrequently used as a van. Maybe they're cooked

I'm going to buy some coir matting and cut my own step mats and stick them with velcro and research the other 2 issues.Some pics for proof.
B
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.56.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.57 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.57 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.57 (5).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.57 (6).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.57 (7).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.57 (8).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 12.22.57 (11).jpeg.

The dog looks to be settled in!!!

After many months of planning, buying, cleaning & accessorising, our first trip away was from home down to the south coast around Studland/Swanage.
We booked to stay in a camper/motorhome site but tbh it wasn't our thing as it was 98% caravans and motorhomes, evidently a lot of them were permanent homes with encampments/fences/dogs/burger vans etc.

The second night we just camped by the side of a road and it was beautiful, lesson learnt for us.
The van was superb, the tea delicious and the sleep was well won after some epic walks with the dog.

A couple of things to note:
  • The need for some kind of toilet solution if we're going to be off camp
  • Some mats for the 3 steps to put muddy shoes etc
  • Find out what's causing the leisure battery drain (90%-30% in a day with just the fridge on low). I've just had a new Alpine headhunt installed and wonder if that's the culprit or it's because prior to our ownership the batteries had never been charged apart from when the van was very infrequently used as a van. Maybe they're cooked

I'm going to buy some coir matting and cut my own step mats and stick them with velcro and research the other 2 issues.Some pics for proof.
B
This isn’t too bad - it fits under at the back and between bed and front seats when bed made.

IMG_8352.jpegIMG_8353.jpegIMG_8354.jpeg

The dog looks to be settled in!!!
She loved the van. But she took it on herself to patrol the perimeter (from inside the van) between naps so we were definitely safe, we just didn't get that much sleep.

How did you find the downstairs bed?... we couldn't get on with how narrow it is, which is a shame as this is the only way I feel its safe to free camp

How did you find the downstairs bed?... we couldn't get on with how narrow it is, which is a shame as this is the only way I feel its safe to free camp
Well I slept downstairs with the dog and my wife was upstairs so we didn't have the narrow problem.

We saw so many motorhomes and camper vans parked up on verges/roadsides/car parks. Most with their roof up, it never crossed our minds that it would be a problem. I did speak to someone who said the worst they've had was a telling off and promise not to do it again. Someone else said they had to pay a fine which was similar to the price of a camp ground.

Well I slept downstairs with the dog and my wife was upstairs so we didn't have the narrow problem.

We saw so many motorhomes and camper vans parked up on verges/roadsides/car parks. Most with their roof up, it never crossed our minds that it would be a problem. I did speak to someone who said the worst they've had was a telling off and promise not to do it again. Someone else said they had to pay a fine which was similar to the price of a camp ground.
Wow! That’s really encouraging. We’re new to all this, so it’s so helpful to find out what flies and what doesn’t. We love sleeping upstairs, so that would be brilliant. Thank you.

We use a Thetford Porta Potti 335 toilet, we keep it behind the passenger seat but it will fit in the back of the van or even under the sink. We have a cover, bought from Dunelm, so it doubles up as an extra seat or footstool. It fits at the end of the downstairs bed when it’s fully extended. Useful if you need to pee during the night and as a general toilet if you are staying off-grid.

We also sleep 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs , with the dog downstairs.

Thanks. Yes I've seen those and the ones for people who do fishing. I'm not sure about solids in the van yet. Will probs try a she/he wee first and see if I can get over that barrier.
i wouldn’t do a solid in the van…plan trips near public loos/supermarkets/pubs etc for those! TMI?!

My favourite place! I spent around 12 years camping in my Cali around Swanage/Studland, quite often playing at the blues festival. Sadly, I can't drive any more. But I stay in the gorgeous Knoll House Hotel instead!

Thr head unit is fed from the main vehicle battery as far as i know.

Back