Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First weekend away in our new Cali last weekend.

burko73

burko73

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

After picking our Cali up at easter we've either been ill or busy at work or have had rubbish weather.

We finally managed to get away to Dorset last weekend in the Cali to give it it's first outing with us.

We've had a t4 for the last 5 yrs that I converted myself which had all the usual equipment such as Smev hob sink, propex heater, waeco fridge. Nopoptop although after 5 yrs we were a bit nervous with a new van as its almost like moving house. Would it all work ok, would our usual stuff fit in, where would the awning store... Would the pop top be cold, flappy, windy?

Anyway it was great. Loads of overtaking power from the 180 engine, air con, room for everything due to the sliding bench seat and plenty of space in the cupboards. The fridge has lots of usable room and stays cold, the hob was good, plenty of water despite the tank being only 40 percent of the capacity of our t4 tank, the diesel heater was amazing even compared to our propex one in the t4, the pop top was absolutely amazing, loads of room, comfortable, airy but warm enough with the Cali topper. With the roof up we didn't need to move the dog cage off the rear shelf each night to sleep. The tinted glass was great as we're the sun/ night blinds. We could get into the cupboards and draw even when the seat was forward/ table was up etc. the table is great as well, didn't see the need for the rail system in the t4 but it really works in the Cali. People camp
Ing next to us we're amazed by the seats and table In the doors.

We loved it and will be off again soon.

Just a couple of niggles:

1. Swivelling the drivers seat is an a£&e. Why oh why didn't VW lower the handbrake or have a dash mounted one. My mums golf has a push button handbrake that would be great. This is especially painful n sloping sites when using ramps to level the van. The van always moves when you let the handbrake off. Even with a wheel chock.

2. The pop top sliding door always comes open when you accelerate or go up a steep hill. Is there a fix for this? Is it a warranty job?

3. There's load of roomin the wardrobe but we don't hang stuff up on the rail. It could do with some shelves in there as loose stuffsacs of items can get rub on the door slats.

4. The sink isn't very big.

Apart from the above it was great...

Hi - re your point 2., we raised it as a warranty issue. Preston Van Centre (always great with us) replaced something (don't know what) and the problem is solved!

Cheers

Ian

burko73 said:
Just a couple of niggles:

1. Swivelling the drivers seat is an a£&e. Why oh why didn't VW lower the handbrake or have a dash mounted one. My mums golf has a push button handbrake that would be great. This is especially painful n sloping sites when using ramps to level the van. The van always moves when you let the handbrake off. Even with a wheel chock.

This can be a pain in my T4. I've developed the knack of stalling it deliberately against the brakes when in postion on the leveling blocks. It seems to allow less movement when you release the handbrake.

Obviously once the seat is swiveled then I re-apply the hand brake.

S.

I used my ramps for the first time at the weekend and was very grateful for the DSG gearbox as "Park" will hold the van. It does slip a little at first when you release the handbrake though. I did toy with the idea of holding the footbrake on while rotating the seat, but soon gave up on that one :D

As for the sink, it is pretty small. That said, it takes about 10 minutes to drain, so imagine what it would be like if it was bigger ;) We have a large rectangular collapsible washing up bowl and that works fine for our needs (can't recall the make - got it from Cotswold I think).
Cheers,
--Nick

Think we might have been at the same site as I saw another Cali with a dog cage on rear shelf

Solidstore....

We were at toms field in the purbecks and then at eype. There were about 4 or 5 t4 calis at toms field, more thanive even seen in one place in 6 yrs of t4 ownership.

Wevegot a grey t5.1 Cali now. Saw a real corker of a t4 Cali at toms, a grey one. lovely bus.

Burko

Back