Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Scooters

I think Northampton must be the scooter recycle capital.

When we cycled through their a couple of weeks ago I counted 5 lying apparently abandoned.

They have these bike lanes in Bristol too, the same colour as the pavement to keep it looking nice, with just a small bike symbol every so often. It is so dangerous for verybody. They also sprinkle black metal bollards every so often easily obscured by other bikes or at night to add to the threat.
Worthing promenade is a mixed use free for all, cyclist, pedestrians, toddlers, dogs on long leads, add powered scooters and it will be carnage!

Why do we actually need them? They seem to be used almost exclusively by young people and as little old Canterbury has a student population of +40,000, I'm guessing that they will be the main user group. They are already showing signs of being a problem. Their widespread use could turn out to be a real nightmare.
I think we do need them.

As more and more people return to work and public transport becomes more expensive, we need a safe effective way for people to get to work or school without coming into contact with hoards of people.

I recall at the beginning of the AIDs epidemic when people were crammed jiggling against each other on tube trains, there being calls for TfL to issue free condoms to passengers.

Face masks just won't do it on public transport. We need fewer people on our trains and busses, leaving safe space for those who do need to use public transport. Electric scooters are a cheap and effective way to travel around our towns and cities. I agree they should be confined to roads and cycleways, and speed limited. So what we need is safe roads and cycleways suitable for all. Confine motor vehicles to A and B roads, and in towns prevent through traffic for larger motor traffic on unclassified residential streets, while allowing free access for human powered machines and smaller motor vehicles like e-scooters.

I think we do need them.
I spoke to someone in Pure Electric who sell these, and he told me they are likely to be legalised with a requirement for a helmet, insurance and a proper number plate.
Properly regulated, they are the future for short urban journeys.
The crux is the legislation and enforcement and integration in the road system. Other major cities around the world (Paris, New York) seem to have their problems, but "you can't stop progress", these scooters are being manufactured in their thousands and they have a ready market.
I accept that the majority of users are likely to be younger and less responsible, so we will need strong enforcement of the legislation introduced. Given present performance, I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon.

Properly regulated, they are the future for short urban journeys.
The crux is the legislation and enforcement and integration in the road system. Other major cities around the world (Paris, New York) seem to have their problems, but "you can't stop progress", these scooters are being manufactured in their thousands and they have a ready market.
I accept that the majority of users are likely to be younger and less responsible, so we will need strong enforcement of the legislation introduced. Given present performance, I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon.
I think the problem will be the enforcement. At the moment there seems no action taken against cyclists riding on pavements so unless involved in an accident I can’t see e scooters being high on the priority list.

I think the problem will be the enforcement. At the moment there seems no action taken against cyclists riding on pavements so unless involved in an accident I can’t see e scooters being high on the priority list.
It appears to be being enforced in London, 500+ scooters confiscated last week.
I've been overtaken by one doing more than 30mph, have yet to see one with a rear light & it appears to be compulsory to wear black clothing if riding one at night. Obviously traffic lights needn't be obeyed.

As a central London motorist they are a complete pain. At least with cyclists you have a good idea of there competency just by looking at them:
Boris bike no helmet = amateur likely to wobble give a wide berth
Bromton wearing a suit = could be a lawyer, give a wide berth
Drop Handlebars & lycra = can look after themselves as you probably won't catch them anyway.
Mountain bike, messenger bag = fold your mirrors in, this type kicks them off for fun.

I foresee utter carnage if pedestrian levels get back to pre-covid density, added to all the people that have taken to scooters in lieu of the tubes, the pavements just are not big enough.

Young people need to get around too. Cheap convenient transport. It only cost £30 a month to hire them with unlimited 45 minute rides.
They already have the option of riding bikes, or using the regular or dedicated student bus services or they could even walk. The case for introducing the scooter is weak IMO especially as they are highly likely to lead to misuse.

I think we do need them.

As more and more people return to work and public transport becomes more expensive, we need a safe effective way for people to get to work or school without coming into contact with hoards of people.

I recall at the beginning of the AIDs epidemic when people were crammed jiggling against each other on tube trains, there being calls for TfL to issue free condoms to passengers.

Face masks just won't do it on public transport. We need fewer people on our trains and busses, leaving safe space for those who do need to use public transport. Electric scooters are a cheap and effective way to travel around our towns and cities. I agree they should be confined to roads and cycleways, and speed limited. So what we need is safe roads and cycleways suitable for all. Confine motor vehicles to A and B roads, and in towns prevent through traffic for larger motor traffic on unclassified residential streets, while allowing free access for human powered machines and smaller motor vehicles like e-scooters.
Well mark my words once the scooter genie has been properly let out of the bottle there will be all sorts of issues cropping up. How do you suggest they are policed? You say that they should be confined to roads and cycleways. That may be the law but it won't be the practice. Further more motor vehicles are being restricted from using residential streets to make life safer for the those living there. Introducing a plague of often lawless scooter riders is hardly going to assist that aim.

Mandatory insurance and registration otherwise the motorists will bear the brunt of the accident costs and litigation. Vulnerable elderly and other pedestrians have enough to contend with without silent speed merchants. Would be a sight on the single track roads encountering an HGV.

Miserable old farts. I bet you all want to ban skateboards too. Perhaps they should mandate the over 60 ‘s to use the bus and give up their triple lock pensions to free up some space on the highway and pay for done enforcement for the young scooterists.

E-scooters and E-bikes have, in my opinion, a great future and are a part of weaning people off the internal combustion engine.

While private use on roads is not yet legal, I see dozens zooming around south London’s streets daily while trains, tubes, trams and busses run less than half full.

They should be a great compact personal transport device, ideal for a Cali.

Visit Guide Dogs website for tbe menace these things pose without compulsory fitment of audible warnings.

We are not trialing cars with a view to introducing them to an already crowded road system though are we.
No, perhaps the people concerned should not drive cars if they are not confident that they can safely deal with scooters entering the scene, rather than banning everything that they don’t need.

No, perhaps the people concerned should not drive cars if they are not confident that they can safely deal with scooters entering the scene, rather than banning everything that they don’t need.
Clearly a sensible debate is out of the question.

I'm out.

Clearly a sensible debate is out of the question.

I'm out.
So it’s sensible to propose a ban on scooters because you think they are dangerous, but not sensible to propose a ban on drivers who think they cannot drive safely sharing the road with scooters. Ok.
Perhaps people who are concerned could take some further driver training to improve their confidence in the new environment.

I expect a higher proportion of drivers get away with law breaking, specifically speeding, than errant e-scooter users. And what’s more dangerous: a speeding 2 tonne car or 90Kg of scooter and rider.

What is needed is not enforcement of the scooter ban but effective regulation. Basically a cut and paste job of e-bike regulation.

I expect a higher proportion of drivers get away with law breaking, specifically speeding, than errant e-scooter users. And what’s more dangerous: a speeding 2 tonne car or 90Kg of scooter and rider.

What is needed is not enforcement of the scooter ban but effective regulation. Basically a cut and paste job of e-bike regulation.
It already goes further than ebike regulation, you already need a driving licence and insurance for an escooter. Fire bikes the only regulation is the top assisted speed limit, the power limit and the pedelec requirement.
The scooters are treated more like mopeds in law.
There is not enough enforcement, I have seen fairly young kids riding the hire ones tonight, I don’t know how as you have to photograph your licence to register.

Back