Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging electric longboards

Listersbox

Listersbox

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi everyone!
Just looking for a bit of advice for charging a couple of electric longboards.
I've included a pic of the charger for input and output power info.
I have a couple of solar panels and would love to be able to charge up these bad boys in the van.

Is it possible to get a 12v adaptor lead for these units?

Or would it be better to get one of those big old power banks that have plug sockets built in and charge that?

Literally any info would be amazing!!

Thank you!!

Andy
fbce4128cb69e2fd2ac700f1ea75f95b.jpg
b7d485dab74519c7a7d97971df4f055f.jpg

There are a few qualified folks on here who will be better able to comment.

I am no electrician but that appears to be a 42v output, I've never seen a 12v to 42v inverter/converter and a quick search turned up nothing of use. Doesnt mean its not out there but may be hard to find.

You could try a 240v inverter, but converting the 12v to 240v to 42v may not be very efficient. Input required is 240v at 2amps which would mean 480watts of power? The built in inverter won't be upto that. That would need a heavy duty inverter for that and may strain your battery (if it was possible). Someone more qualified may be able to confirm that as mine is an uneducated guess..

(Output is 42v at 2amps = 84 watts).

Very interested in what these powered long boards are!!

I had to look up "powered longboard"....

I had visions of scandinavian visitors wearing helmets with horns, then read "longboards" not longships.

Sadly I can't help with charging. Odin will have to wait ....:shocked

There are a few qualified folks on here who will be better able to comment.

I am no electrician but that appears to be a 42v output, I've never seen a 12v to 42v inverter/converter and a quick search turned up nothing of use. Doesnt mean its not out there but may be hard to find.

You could try a 240v inverter, but converting the 12v to 240v to 42v may not be very efficient. Input required is 240v at 2amps which would mean 480watts of power? The built in inverter won't be upto that. That would need a heavy duty inverter for that and may strain your battery (if it was possible). Someone more qualified may be able to confirm that as mine is an uneducated guess..

(Output is 42v at 2amps = 84 watts).

Very interested in what these powered long boards are!!
Electric Skateboard.

Hi everyone!
Just looking for a bit of advice for charging a couple of electric longboards.
I've included a pic of the charger for input and output power info.
I have a couple of solar panels and would love to be able to charge up these bad boys in the van.

Is it possible to get a 12v adaptor lead for these units?

Or would it be better to get one of those big old power banks that have plug sockets built in and charge that?

Literally any info would be amazing!!

Thank you!!

Andy
fbce4128cb69e2fd2ac700f1ea75f95b.jpg

b7d485dab74519c7a7d97971df4f055f.jpg

i think this is not going to be easy. Mains Charging would be the best option.

There is a Chinese company that makes a DC-DC 12-42v charger but only for trade orders of 100 units.

http://fuyuang.en.made-in-china.com...n-Battery-42V-2A-Balance-Scooter-Charger.html

However you do it I think you should use the charger that you have shown, presumably the one that came with the longboards.
Lithium ion batteries can be very touchy re charging and can catch fire or even explode if not charged correctly.
The charger will be matched to the batteries and will be safer to use than some sort of put together system.

You are only delivering /requiring 2A so I would connect an inverter to the auxiliary battery through a voltage sensng relay . Set the VSR at say 12.3V switch off and 12.5 switch on then when there is any spare energy form your solar panels it will run the inverter and your exisiting charger . If your worried about flattening your leisure battery perhaps just add separate panels and a small gel battery to load smooth . I'd be surprised if a solar panel would run an inverter directly

I’m going down the route of a Victron 500W inverter connected to the auxiliary battery under the front left seat. I have solar and like the idea of riding on sunshine alone.

There's a long thread on charging electric bike batteries if you search for it.

We bought an inverter you can plug the charger into. Works well with solar.