Electric Blues

michaelj70

michaelj70

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello Again

Blues indeed

I am using the 2 sockets on the kitchen unit and connected to EHU ( 230Vac 50 cycle 16 amps max supply)

3 pin (French plug) With 3 plug extension
12v cigarette lighter

I have the kettle plugged into 3 plug extension and it works fine

But any charger I put in the 12v it is not charging continusouly

I thought it might be adaptor but in the 12v with same adaptor by door it works fine !

Any ideas

For me electricity should just flow cannot see why there would be interuptions ??

Just wondering if there is a problem with the charging circuit on hook up especially with the heater problem as well. Have you tried taking off hook up and running the engine to see what happens. What leisure battery charge is the control panel showing?

What voltage does the control panel show too when on EHU?

I have a few cheap 12v usb type chargers and they would cut out because they couldnt cope with the ampage of the devices. Fine with 1 small device for a tablet or smart phone would trip it.

Wasn't my van but the 12v usb charger device itself.

I ordered a plug today turned up in a nice little zip case plugged into the socket and hasa number of varations inc 13amp UK socket also has a 2 way usb plug with 2 outlets does the job but remember its only rated at 150w output , i tested it and it chanrges 2 phones and runs my 220v laptop and under £20 inc postage

You have a 2011 van and if you have used the kitchen 12v socket a lot over the years, it may well be worn now and needs to be replaced. Or could be the front seat has been pushed back while a plug is in the 12v socket and damaged it slightly, easily done.

The adapter is held against the connections by sprung metal friction and does loosen over time and use

This would seem to be confirmed by the use of the same charging setup plugged into another 12v socket, all working perfectly. So not the adapter or cabling, has to be the kitchen 12v socket at fault.

Alan

That is a pain
You have a 2011 van and if you have used the kitchen 12v socket a lot over the years, it may well be worn now and needs to be replaced. Or could be the front seat has been pushed back while a plug is in the 12v socket and damaged it slightly, easily done.

The adapter is held against the connections by sprung metal friction and does loosen over time and use

This would seem to be confirmed by the use of the same charging setup plugged into another 12v socket, all working perfectly. So not the adapter or cabling, has to be the kitchen 12v socket at fault.

Alan

Darn that is a pain ... Any problems using dashboard socket for phone charging when not driving ?

That is a pain

Darn that is a pain ... Any problems using dashboard socket for phone charging when not driving ?
Normally the Dashboard 12v socket in the pullout draw is powered by the Engine Battery.
If you also have a 12v socket on top of the Dashboard under a flip top then this should be powered from the Leisure Battery. Well it is on my 2014 SE.

Normally the Dashboard 12v socket in the pullout draw is powered by the Engine Battery.
If you also have a 12v socket on top of the Dashboard under a flip top then this should be powered from the Leisure Battery. Well it is on my 2014 SE.
The supply to the ashtray socket seems to differ between vehicles. On my 2010 van it is supplied from the leisure batteries and powered all of the time. One of the three 15amp fuses under the passenger seat feeds it.

Alan