Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Scooters

As I understand it they are not legal for road or pavement and I would guess it’s only a matter of time until campsites ban them. Even if road legal I think they would be dangerous.....pot holes and small wheels don’t mix!

That does look interesting, especially with the detachable battery. Means you could easily charge it in your Cali if you're on hookup.

My guess is that the law will eventually get changed on the legality front - you can't really get more green in terms of 'sweat-free' transport.

They are legal for road use in Bristol and London at the moment under a trial of public hire use. They seem to be comparatively bad value for money in terms of range compared to E Bikes though, and the tiny wheels must be limiting.

Law will be change I’m sure after the trials.

I’m just thinking that having one of these to nip to a shop for supplies with a backpack might be handier than a bike.

Law will be change I’m sure after the trials.

I’m just thinking that having one of these to nip to a shop for supplies with a backpack might be handier than a bike.
I was thinking of it too, and ended up choosing an E Brompton. The scooters are not cheap and I wasn’t confident in their longevity or after sales. I have no experience of them though.

I was thinking of it too, and ended up choosing an E Brompton. The scooters are not cheap and I wasn’t confident in their longevity or after sales. I have no experience of them though.
How much did the E Brompton set you back @Lightning? I was looking at second hand standard Brompton and they were going for crazy money. I wonder if a scooter would fit between the front seats?

E-scooters and E-bikes have, in my opinion, a great future and are a part of weaning people off the internal combustion engine.

While private use on roads is not yet legal, I see dozens zooming around south London’s streets daily while trains, tubes, trams and busses run less than half full.

They should be a great compact personal transport device, ideal for a Cali.

How much did the E Brompton set you back @Lightning? I was looking at second hand standard Brompton and they were going for crazy money. I wonder if a scooter would fit between the front seats?
It was £2850. It is in a different league though and I expect to keep it forever, so it’s not really directly comparable. They are the VW California of bicycles in terms of residuals.
I would not keep an E anything outside, my non E mountain bike has corroded badly left on the rack all the time.

It was £2850. It is in a different league though and I expect to keep it forever, so it’s not really directly comparable. They are the VW California of bicycles in terms of residuals.
I would not keep an E anything outside, my non E mountain bike has corroded badly left on the rack all the time.
Crikey. That’s a big investment. I could get a scooter each for the four of us. I hear that they are very good though. Have you charged it on hook up yet?

Crikey. That’s a big investment. I could get a scooter each for the four of us. I hear that they are very good though. Have you charged it on hook up yet?
No, I never use hook up. I charge it through the factory inverter while driving or idling. I do love it though, there is good reason they are so popular. I ride it almost every day and folding it still gives me a buzz every time.

The motors on the e-scooters are actually very similar in power to the e-bikes (about 250-350W average power with top speed limited to 15.5mph). The range is different because obviously you can add leg power with the bikes. This article suggests you can get a good one for campsite use for around £250 which will fit in the boot of the cali. I reckon it would fit between the front seats too!

The motors on the e-scooters are actually very similar in power to the e-bikes (about 250-350W average power with top speed limited to 15.5mph). The range is different because obviously you can add leg power with the bikes. This article suggests you can get a good one for campsite use for around £250 which will fit in the boot of the cali. I reckon it would fit between the front seats too!
£250 sounds good value

Besides the portability and price I can't really see any other benefits of going the scooter route. Unless the riding surfaces are billiard table smooth they are not going to be very stable. I wouldn;'t trust being on one on a public highway.
I'm opting for a Tern Vektron S10 Ebike. Offers range, lights, and folds relatively small and will fit under the rear shelf of the Cali with peddles removed. Pricey but given the flexibility and abilities well worth the investment. It can be folded in under 10secs and wheeled around or carried into restaurants and shops for safety.

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 2.04.55 PM.png

I hate the bloody things, some lunatic on one (in a black hoodie, no lights) decided to see if he could overtake a bus on a bend on a wet night with me coming the other way! If I had had the H4 Candle headlights he would have been a dead man, LED’s saved his life.

We have folding bikes (bromptons). But we tend to go to very hilly places (Massif Central, Portugal coast, West of Scotland, Hebrides ....) and being in our mid 70s we're finding cycling out is getting hard(er). Not thought of a scooter, mind :)

I’m pretty sure my next bike will be an E-Brompton. I’ve had my current Brompton for nearly 20 years and love it still. The price tag of £2800 for the electric version isn’t much when divided by 20 years.

I’m pretty sure my next bike will be an E-Brompton. I’ve had my current Brompton for nearly 20 years and love it still. The price tag of £2800 for the electric version isn’t much when divided by 20 years.

People need to get over the price of e-bikes.
I know they’re expensive compared to regular bikes, but they pay for themselves within no time.
As a family we have reduced our car dependency massively.
We cycle 80% of our trips now.

When you compare the cost of car ownership, Insurance, depreciation, maintenance and fuel. A couple of ebikes pay for themselves within 12 months.
I know people with new BMWs who will lose £10k just driving it off the forecourt...

Tern bikes are fantastic especially the HSD. In-fact the entire range is brilliant.

Our current setup for Cali usage are the Cube Compact Hybrid Sports. They fit so easily on the tow-bar rack. Range & power is brilliant and the handlebars fold and swivel if required.

These bikes are a total game changer IMO

D851BB38-0D2F-46E0-8DBD-B5BD1D48E59F.jpeg

People need to get over the price of e-bikes.
I know they’re expensive compared to regular bikes, but they pay for themselves within no time.
As a family we have reduced our car dependency massively.
We cycle 80% of our trips now.

When you compare the cost of car ownership, Insurance, depreciation, maintenance and fuel. A couple of ebikes pay for themselves within 12 months.
I know people with new BMWs who will lose £10k just driving it off the forecourt...

Tern bikes are fantastic especially the HSD. In-fact the entire range is brilliant.

Our current setup for Cali usage are the Cube Compact Hybrid Sports. They fit so easily on the tow-bar rack. Range & power is brilliant and the handlebars fold and swivel if required.

These bikes are a total game changer IMO

View attachment 70850
A great post @soulstyledevon

We recently paid nearly £9,000 for a Skoda Citigo to use as a second car. We'd have been better off buying a pair of electric bikes, each with a child seat on the back and a pet trailer. I've even seen electric bikes with a double child seat on the back.

1608454280987.png

I think you will be disappointed with a scooter.

I say this because of my own experience of buying an e-bike. Before now all I've ever cycled for the last 50 years is to the corner shop and back. Getting an e-bike has changed my life. I can't keep myself off it and I now have at least 10 years of projects and trips planned.

I suspect within 5 minutes of having a scooter you will be wishing you had opted for a bike.

only Legal if used on the road and from an approved hire company. They also require a valid driving licence unlike electric bikes. Not suggesting you would break the law but if you do transgress on a scooter it can result in points on yr driving licence, again for an electric bike this is not the case.

A great post @soulstyledevon

We recently paid nearly £9,000 for a Skoda Citigo to use as a second car. We'd have been better off buying a pair of electric bikes, each with a child seat on the back and a pet trailer. I've even seen electric bikes with a double child seat on the back.

View attachment 70854

Think that’s a Yuba above.
Tern do a bike called the GSD. That can carry two kids or one adult. Great bike.
The rise of e-cargo bikes is slow maturing as people see their advantages...:)

Last edited:
I think you will be disappointed with a scooter.

I say this because of my own experience of buying an e-bike. Before now all I've ever cycled for the last 50 years is to the corner shop and back. Getting an e-bike has changed my life. I can't keep myself off it and I now have at least 10 years of projects and trips planned.

I suspect within 5 minutes of having a scooter you will be wishing you had opted for a bike.

That’s fantastic to hear Gen. We feel exactly the same. Fantastic for pottering to and from the shops, pub, park and school run for us.
Love our little bikes...

We saw a couple of parents circle the block on the way to school last week, looking for a space outside the school gate. They circled past 3 times in their Porsche Macan SUV.
To make matters worse, they live on the end of the street where the school is. Honestly it’s no more than 5 minutes walking...???
I just don’t understand some people...

That’s fantastic to hear Gen. We feel exactly the same. Fantastic for pottering to and from the shops, pub, park and school run for us.
Love our little bikes...

We saw a couple of parents circle the block on the way to school last week, looking for a space outside the school gate. They circled past 3 times in their Porsche Macan SUV.
To make matters worse, they live on the end of the street where the school is. Honestly it’s no more than 5 minutes walking...???

Amazing. Some people are just so lazy and I doubt that they gave a single thought about the fumes the kids are having to breath in.

I've just bought a third bike, again Como4, but I wanted a reserve battery for our big ride next year and a spare bike wasn't much more than a spare battery. When we've done it's a brilliant birthday present for my niece, a hugely active yoga teacher who has inherited the family trait of degenerating knee joints.

Love our little bikes...

From 5 January (first day of term) our school street is closed at drop off and pick up times with ANPR cameras.

Recent bus gate cameras raised £3,000,000 from generous motorists for the benefit of Lewisham council taxpayers. I wonder how much cash this camera can raise.

Back