Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG Sports Mode No More?

C

CaliMac

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Having recently changed my 2020 Cali to a 2024, I note the DSG sports mode is not there. I could not find much on Google except it may have been an emmissions decision.

Having recently changed my 2020 Cali to a 2024, I note the DSG sports mode is not there. I could not find much on Google except it may have been an emmissions decision.
Correct.
I had Sports mode in MY20 204 FWD
And no sports mode in MY23 204 4Motion.
It doesn’t bother me, I just stick the pedal to the metal if I need to go fast in a straight line.
I do have manual mode, so if overtaking up hill, can hold in a lower gear.
But then all the torque is in a defined band so it’s like wotever man.

I was surprised mine didn’t have it but not disappointed; I came from a sporty VAG with a DSG and it was appropriate there but it’s not really an issue with the Cali! Manual mode is useful (especially on hilly backroads where you want to hold a gear, both going up and down hill) but I don’t miss sport mode.

Disappointing, yes but having owned the MY23 for a year haven't missed it too much. On my Audi S4 there was a noticeable difference in Sport mode, especially using the manual paddle shifting which I used 99% of the time. Not sure its really necessary the way I drive the Cali. I'll eventually remap the ECU and DSG programs and that should fix any lag the D mode introduces (most noticeably pulling away at junctions).

I think the sport mode just holds the gears longer (higher or lower revs). Useful on winding up or down hills, but as others say limited use in a van.

Disappointing, yes but having owned the MY23 for a year haven't missed it too much. On my Audi S4 there was a noticeable difference in Sport mode, especially using the manual paddle shifting which I used 99% of the time. Not sure its really necessary the way I drive the Cali. I'll eventually remap the ECU and DSG programs and that should fix any lag the D mode introduces (most noticeably pulling away at junctions).
I would miss the paddle shift on my T6 more than Sports Mode if I ever went with a newer model. That and no comfort dash were both quite retrograde steps IMO. I understand why VW did it when rationalising the T6.1 Transporter and Multi-van model derivitives and loading more kit as standard on the Ocean (LED's etc) helped to soften the blow. That 'standard' kit did come with a hefty price increase though!

After the VW Emissions scandal VW would have had another emission issue with one figure for normal drive plus another if in Sports Mode which would result in an out of quoted spec when using Sports Mode.
Litigation opportunity for some hence simpler for VW to just delete Sports Mode plus stopping any engine remapping by 3rd parties.

Sport mode in a Cali. That’s funny. :veryfunny
It was actually pretty good, the gearbox mapping on the earlier T6.1 seemed to have the box changing up a few hundred RPM too early in normal mode. Sticking it in sports made the engine feel a lot more comfortable with a slightly later change up on a light throttle. The mapping on the newer T6.1 without it is different & to me feels closer to sports mode all the time.

I have DCC option and sports mode there is more or less a replacement for the old sports mode I guess. Steering, suspension, and gearing timing changes giving more acceleration and an overall sporty behavior. I did not have sports mode on previous cali however and cannot compare.
The biggest change is the fuel consumption but if you want sporty you can get sporty.

I think the sport mode just holds the gears longer (higher or lower revs). Useful on winding up or down hills, but as others say limited use in a van.
Agree, easier than changing it from coast mode for engine breaking.

If you live in a hilly area you might appreciate the S mode to prevent coasting on sharp downhills and allowing engine braking: a technique taught when you learnt to drive in the ‘70’s. Slowing down through the engine rather than merely pressing the brake. Yes, could switch to manual: but by merely flipping into S mode the DSG does it for me. Making an automatic gearbox do what it should…. Compliment a driving approach and not dictate it. Equally useful when needing short bursts of acceleration to pass vehicles on long up hills. I was initially frustrated by the DSG box but then found the choice of S mode is a very useful facility. It’s withdrawal is a loss.

If you live in a hilly area you might appreciate the S mode to prevent coasting on sharp downhills and allowing engine braking: a technique taught when you learnt to drive in the ‘70’s. Slowing down through the engine rather than merely pressing the brake. Yes, could switch to manual: but by merely flipping into S mode the DSG does it for me. Making an automatic gearbox do what it should…. Compliment a driving approach and not dictate it. Equally useful when needing short bursts of acceleration to pass vehicles on long up hills. I was initially frustrated by the DSG box but then found the choice of S mode is a very useful facility. It’s withdrawal is a loss.
Yes I would agree sport is something better to have than not, particularly for overtaking for the little extra torque / power. However, I have noticed that it is easier to initiate coasting with the new vehicle when it seemed almost random with the older sport DSG. Gently releasing the throttle I find sets it into coast everytime; I guess the software has been tweaked.

Sports mode offers no more engine power , it simply increases the RPM that the DSG gearbox changes gear . IMO I like it but it adds very little as far as kick down Vs normal mode. What it does do is provide a bit more of a lively down change and a bit more revs before up change , but it is more clunky. VW ditched it On the transporter because it didn’t do FA to justify having it on an unaerodynamic brick !
emissions !

It was actually pretty good, the gearbox mapping on the earlier T6.1 seemed to have the box changing up a few hundred RPM too early in normal mode. Sticking it in sports made the engine feel a lot more comfortable with a slightly later change up on a light throttle. The mapping on the newer T6.1 without it is different & to me feels closer to sports mode all the time.
I would agree with that. Now I’m back in the T6, I often keep it in sport mode. I find it much more responsive when driving around London, but also on the motorway when it’s sitting in 7th gear it makes no difference. If going down a long hill I may slip it back into D for coasting.

I use Sport mode in my 2022 T6.1 all the time when overtaking on one lane each way roads...and more peculiarly, when negotiating obstacles in off-road situations. It makes the throttle response just so much better, rather than the lag you get in the other modes.

View attachment 120715
Looks like a scene out of Jurassic Park

I got a Blue Spark Peddle Box and have it in normal mode / strength 2 and it’s brilliant. Love the Cali but it’s just dangerous trying to get out of junctions and they’ve neutered ann actually quite decent engine in the 150Ps I’ve got. This helps massively with the 4 second drive by wire throttle response and holds the gears a little longer making it more drivable.

I also have ST-XA coilovers and H&R anti roll bars and now I can drive along with normal traffic without being a hazard at junctions and having to slow down so much on corners. The combination means I can drive it like a car. I’d say the anti roll bars are the most important parts of the suspension change but also being able to get the car balanced again (huge sag on the rear) and more weight over the front really helps as well.

I’m amazed they let it out the factory with that suspension. Just look at the height difference on rear when you’ve got your bits in it

Back