Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG gearbox and 'Sport Mode'

Just called dealer and our Cali is being shipped... so not long now. I have a feeling that we are to be on here asking endless questions for a long time to come. But finding the forum just so fantastic for so many things. When we hired cali at the weekend, having never driven auto before, asked what the 'S' was for and guy said he didnt know, but that we didnt need it. Fine. However just seen mention of it as the sport mode and understand that it might be used in testing road conditions, i.e. hills and bends, but that it is not an economical option. Being that i am complete novice, intend to just put in drive, reverse and park, not sure when would use neutral or sport. I will check out the video clip have seen on here as well. basically what i am asking is - should i just ignore these options when driving or will S help tremendously when doing bendy hilly country lanes, providing more control of vehicle? thanks.
S is Sport, it hold gears a little longer and allows you to accelerate a bit quicker, I use it a lot for overtaking.

The dealer should know what it is for. It is there for a reason.

I always use D when in town but always use S when out on open road and find the MPG a lot better. Have found it to be as much as 5-6MPG average better than running D.
My guess would be that the mpg is better because of the out of town v urban and not D or S. I would expect on the same type of roads D to give better mpg than S?

My guess would be that the mpg is better because of the out of town v urban and not D or S. I would expect on the same type of roads D to give better mpg than S?
No, I find better MPG with D than S in town (below 40/50mph) and S better than D (50mph +)

For me it's the coasting that can feel odd in D when in hilly terrain, as you gather speed more quickly than expected when going downhill. Oddly when pressing on this isn't as noticeable. Also when the terrain is really steep it doesn't seem to coast in the same way.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the coasting as I always thought an engine could use less fuel at zero throttle than idling (coasting) as fuel is needed to keep the engine running with the clutch in.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the coasting as I always thought an engine could use less fuel at zero throttle than idling (coasting) as fuel is needed to keep the engine running with the clutch in.
Apparantly not.

Coasting makes a big difference because the vehicle doesn’t lose speed as quickly as when the throttle is trailed in gear.

I like the way the coasting function prevents runaway by flicking back into gear if the vehicle picks up too much speed downhill.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

I always use D when in town but always use S when out on open road and find the MPG a lot better. Have found it to be as much as 5-6MPG average better than running D.
After a recent run to Gloucestershire 'S' was a godsend for the hill work and motorway driving. Tackling the changing gradients in 'D' was like stepping into a muddy puddle with bare feet. You definitely need wellies!

Also for busy motorway driving S is great too for immediate over taking or when you need that zest from the peddle in quickl changing traffic.

D is fine for quiet relaxed motorway driving or pootling about but S does compliment it very well.

I often found that I have to bury my foot deep into the carpet all the time in D where a lighter tap in S gets more response. Much more natural.

I've not noted the MPG difference yet. Will watch that one.

After a recent run to Gloucestershire 'S' was a godsend for the hill work and motorway driving. Tackling the changing gradients in 'D' was like stepping into a muddy puddle with bare feet. You definitely need wellies!

Also for busy motorway driving S is great too for immediate over taking or when you need that zest from the peddle in quickl changing traffic.

D is fine for quiet relaxed motorway driving or pootling about but S does compliment it very well.

I often found that I have to bury my foot deep into the carpet all the time in D where a lighter tap in S gets more response. Much more natural.

I've not noted the MPG difference yet. Will watch that one.
Interesting. I tend to use S for overtaking but I may use it more now.

Since having the TVS DSG Driveability software upgrade, I no longer need sport mode, the gearbox is now more agile and always in the correct gear for the occasion with less lag and good reverse.

Since having the TVS DSG Driveability software upgrade, I no longer need sport mode, the gearbox is now more agile and always in the correct gear for the occasion with less lag and good reverse.
Hey @Loz

Is that a 3rd party upgrade?

I can certainly see that between both D & S there is a sweet spot to be found. Sounds like youve got it!

Hey @Loz

Is that a 3rd party upgrade?

I can certainly see that between both D & S there is a sweet spot to be found. Sounds like youve got it!
Yes 3rd party, I had mine done by the excellent chaps at Bognor Motors.
Details attached

Attachments

• Brochure_DQ500.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Does this impact either the VW warranty or your car insurance in any way?

Both S and D have their uses thats for sure.
Hi
I did have a manual T5 SE 180 and now have a Beach 150 on order. I now understand that the latest DSG does not have a sport mode. Is this correct?
If not have VW tweaked the software in any way?

Yes and no, but these things have to considered in isolation as it doesn't affect the warranty of the whole vehicle just the part altered, but also there have been hundreds of DGS upgraded.
It's not a performance upgrade.
I am averse to engine remaps for this reason, but this is such an improvement, I don't envisage having any issues myself.

Hi
I did have a manual T5 SE 180 and now have a Beach 150 on order. I now understand that the latest DSG does not have a sport mode. Is this correct?
If not have VW tweaked the software in any way?
They have mapped the gearbox to assist in achieving the best emissions regardless of driveability.

They have mapped the gearbox to assist in achieving the best emissions regardless of driveability.
Thanks Loz that fills me with confidence. Is there away of remapping without affecting the warranty.

I've had Pendle remap plus the TVS+ and as @Loz says seamless gear changes.

I believe that REVO remaps are OK with VW warranty.

I'd had Pendle first but didn't know about TVS DSG remap.
With hindsight I'd start with TVS then decide if engine remap required .

Now 255PS with TVS+, + bit has faster shifts and apparently better clutch cooling etc.
Did the TVS at AKS Tuning - Bedford.

DSG box is designed for up to 500PS power so not stressed in a Cali.

Details attached
@Loz, this looks exactly like what I'm after. I've always found the DSG gearbox to be somewhat "lazy" when pulling off. I can feel the car wanting to move, almost building up the confidence to move, then, wham. It puls off. The "slow reaction when accelerating" mentioned on the brochure is exactly what mine suffers from. May I ask? What was the cost and timeframe to implement please?
Thanks

I've had Pendle remap plus the TVS+ and as @Loz says seamless gear changes.

I believe that REVO remaps are OK with VW warranty.

I'd had Pendle first but didn't know about TVS DSG remap.
With hindsight I'd start with TVS then decide if engine remap required .

Now 255PS with TVS+, + bit has faster shifts and apparently better clutch cooling etc.
Did the TVS at AKS Tuning - Bedford.

DSG box is designed for up to 500PS power so not stressed in a Cali.
Thanks @BJG for the information. Will look again when I get the cali

@Loz, this looks exactly like what I'm after. I've always found the DSG gearbox to be somewhat "lazy" when pulling off. I can feel the car wanting to move, almost building up the confidence to move, then, wham. It puls off. The "slow reaction when accelerating" mentioned on the brochure is exactly what mine suffers from. May I ask? What was the cost and timeframe to implement please?
Thanks
£360+vat 2 hours

I use the S only on twisty 50 MPH (80 km/u) roads since I have the feeling (as former diesel technician) the engine then runs a little smoother. I am considering to tweak (Via software) the DSG by a company who is specialized at this, and for ( I think) good reasons the Dutch VW California Center is also offering this with factory guarantee still in place. The only reason I will NOT do this mod is when I decide to go for Electric like the ID-Buzz

If you have a gearbox failure, VW in theory could refuse warranty claim.
although as far as I understand anyone looking into this would have to actively look for the upgrade in the ECU etc. as the upgrade it’s not as evident as an engine re map. (Which shows up immediately via turbo operating pressure readings “outside factory settings “ when VW hook up a vehicle to the mother ship)

Fortunately Gearbox failure within warranty seems to be a rare or relatively unreported phenomenon.

IMO VW should offer this from factory, but I doubt the VW Emissions Bods could justify it in their less than real life tests despite it probably being better for the environment (correct gear for correct speed = less pressing of the go go pedal) but it appears that real world scenarios have little to do with theoretical emission modelling!

It appears the T6.1 has been down tuned further (according to several T6.1 owners who changed from T6 ) I wonder if this upgrade would resolve some of the reported issues with the 6.1 and return some of the power that appear to be “tuned out” ?

Back