Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cycling Mikey

Pure whataboutery. Let’s compare numbers of pedestrians KSI by cyclists versus drivers. Or look at the reasons that people don’t or won’t cycle on the road.

I don't think it is.

I still have vivid memories of Mum, very frail and leaning on her walking frame, being terrified by idiots on cycles buzzing her as she walked the footpaths of Hollingwood lake.

It is illegal and saying it's ok because cyclists don't kill people like drivers do is simply condoning the wilful breaking of the law. Why it's not policed is beyond me when a £50 FPN is available to law enforcement.

My other issue with this is the main offenders are kids who believing they are entitled to do as they wish then grow into drivers who equally think they have that entitlement.

Pure whataboutery. Let’s compare numbers of pedestrians KSI by cyclists versus drivers. Or look at the reasons that people don’t or won’t cycle on the road.
Not "whataboutary". Simply suggesting that humans respond in similar ways when confronted/cornered whether they are in a car, on a bike or on foot. The drivers response was irrational and wrong but predictable and good for Mickey's ratings.
I'm a cyclist, pedestrian and motorist and have no axe to grind.

I don't think it is.

I still have vivid memories of Mum, very frail and leaning on her walking frame, being terrified by idiots on cycles buzzing her as she walked the footpaths of Hollingwood lake.

It is illegal and saying it's ok because cyclists don't kill people like drivers do is simply condoning the wilful breaking of the law. Why it's not policed is beyond me when a £50 FPN is available to law enforcement.

My other issue with this is the main offenders are kids who believing they are entitled to do as they wish then grow into drivers who equally think they have that entitlement.
Perfect behaviour when you were a kid?

I often see kids doing stuff that winds me up but I feel hypocritical getting angry. I think the subtle difference is we weren’t nasty little tw**s with a bad attitude.
We used to ride around fields on old mopeds but we were still terrified if plod on his beat strolled up.

Perfect behaviour when you were a kid?
Of course not, quite the opposite, why I was banged up at 12.

It is the nature of children and young adults to test limits and the responsibility of adults to teach them those limits, not condone the wilful breaking of them.

There’s a guy up at my allotments without a shed who regularly pushes his wheelbarrow along a narrow pavement between his house and his plot.
80 year old delinquent!

Sorry :)

Get Mikey on the case, teach the old codger a lesson he won’t forget!

There’s a guy up at my allotments without a shed who regularly pushes his wheelbarrow along a narrow pavement between his house and his plot.
80 year old delinquent!

Take a video and post it on YouTube:shocked

80 year old delinquent!

For those who miss the relevance:

Section 72, 1835 Highways Act:
=====
If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.=====
As a truck, a wheelbarrow should be pushed along the road not the pavement.

Is a wheelbarrow a truck? Is a pram filled with coal a truck? Does the definition derive from terminology used in 1835? Even then, I think that a wheelbarrow was called a wheelbarrow.

Is a wheelbarrow a truck? Is a pram filled with coal a truck? Does the definition derive from terminology used in 1835? Even then, I think that a wheelbarrow was called a wheelbarrow.

This is the law used to ban three year olds from cycling on the pavement: a bicycle is a carriage.

I think the 1835 law could be used to prosecute someone for pushing a supermarket trolley on the pavement.

Mobility scooters (restricted to 5mph) have a separate exemption.

This is the law used to ban three year olds from cycling on the pavement: a bicycle is a carriage.

I think the 1835 law could be used to prosecute someone for pushing a supermarket trolley on the pavement.

Mobility scooters (restricted to 5mph) have a separate exemption.
Seems harsh, picking on 3 year olds, guess once they hit 4 they mature.

What about the mother with her twin buggy? Seems that they too should be banned from the pavement and consigned to the road. This 1835 Act needs updating if that is the case.

what a load of bollox.

When the legislation is not even enforced wtf are we worrying about what happened in 1835?

Truly, the law when dealing with human beings tends to ignore simple social etiquette of just being nice and responsible to each other.

Why do we all want to rely on legislation to just tell us how to be nice?

Our local farmer has the right to drive his sheep down Wendover High Street every year, and the naughty devils sometimes stray onto the pavements! :) :)

Electric Scooters?

I was knocked down while cycling by a guy on an electric standup scooter. Skin removed on left arm from elbow to wrist, and on both shins. I was treated every two days for a month at the equivalent of a burn center. My local bike shop had to straighten the frame from the force of the impact, as he hit me full speed almost head on while coming out from behind a building without looking. I think that since they have to make no physical effort to move, they have no awareness that they are traveling as fast or faster than most cars in the city. This was on the beachfront bicycle path. He left without giving any info, other than mentioning he was a doctor!

Last edited:
What about the mother with her twin buggy? Seems that they too should be banned from the pavement and consigned to the road. This 1835 Act needs updating if that is the case.

There have been several exceptions given over the years. I expect prams and zimmer frames are allowed.

Our local farmer has the right to drive his sheep down Wendover High Street every year, and the naughty devils sometimes stray onto the pavements! :) :)

8ca04273203969744555cbfbd5aed191.jpg

For those who miss the relevance:

Section 72, 1835 Highways Act:
=====
If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.=====
I'm a serial offender then! I often lead my ass along the pavement.

To my eyes this guy is a total to$$er.

He's not a policeman and if he wants to be one he should sign up and join the force. What he's doing is the equivalent of sitting in the outside lane blocking other motorists that want to drive faster than 70mph. I don't condone the crap driving by the driver of the Mercedes either but what he's doing is worse. Plod should have attended and nicked him for impersonating a police officer IMO.

To my eyes this guy is a total to$$er.

He's not a policeman and if he wants to be one he should sign up and join the force. What he's doing is the equivalent of sitting in the outside lane blocking other motorists that want to drive faster than 70mph. I don't condone the crap driving by the driver of the Mercedes either but what he's doing is worse. Plod should have attended and nicked him for impersonating a police officer IMO.
very good, almost had me there mate :)

He doesn't always get a result, even when there seems to be a clear case.

Back