Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crash in Cali values

For vans to be shown for sale on the VW Commercial or any car dealer website with descriptions, photos etc they would need to have already been purchased, prepped, photographed etc.
I would have thought that with virtually all car dealerships physically shut they don’t have the resources to respond to people wanting to offload vans to them. I think this may be more of a fire sale of existing stock to try to generate cash.

We have had our T5 California since buying new in 2008. From memory it cost £33k. No intention of selling. Only 60k on the clock and as far as I’m concerned it will see me out. Our granddaughter wants us to leave it to her in our will as it will be a “cool” classic. Never look at things in the short term.
Tom

To think, that was only 12 years ago.
Sounds cheap compared to today’s cost.
The price of the Cali has basically doubled in 12 years.
Spec dependant...

Nobody is adjusting prices now as market is in freeze. Potentially the only bargin would be a private seller in financial distress. The prices are stable over about 6 months. If they’d dropped it was pre-Coronavirus and more due to t6.1 and uncertainty over diesel cars. The prices possibly will drop further due to severe upcoming recession but this will be balanced against increased domestic demand because people will take domestic holidays and massive lag of new car orders. As a potential buyer I can guarantee there are no bargains that werent there last October.

I notice on the VW website there are 162 California's for sale , normally there are never more than 30. Also even before the crisis I noticed not much was selling at all. With all this stock and less demand plus the chance of recession I would of thought prices will be tumbling as a massive rate.

Good time for buyers, not so good for the ones that purchased due to the previous good residuals of the Cali
Foreign travel will be tough some places are months behind us , more staycations than ever for next 2-3 years , Cali’s et all campers will keep and maintain values as soon as this is over

Glitch, if you’re not already retired I’d be more worried about your pension pot value especially if retirement is in the next few year.

Woo hoo me. That was a good deal.
I thought i had the cheapest Cali in the world.
43k but €
vat back so 36k € in 2006.
You probably don't have the comfort dash and integral
windscreen blinds so I've trumped you there. :thumb

Although i might now look at my dash and blinds as costing me 10k :headbang

Just dug out an old sales brochure from October 2007 (doesn't include discounts!)...

IMG_20200412_220850575.jpg

IMG_20200412_220930246.jpg

43k but €

Just dug out an old sales brochure from October 2007 (doesn't include discounts!)...

View attachment 57443

View attachment 57444

Rotated!

IMG_20200412_220930246.jpg

43k but €

Brand new Cali in September 2019 for less than 50k

I’m always looking on AT and the VW website and there was generally always about 80 Cali’s for sale. The split was often roughly 40 Beaches and 40 Oceans.

The amount for sale on the VW website increased for the last few months due to people selling at the end of last year and also getting rid of old T6 stock

As mentioned above, the increased amount would not be due to Covid 19. The dealer would of had to of bought, prepped and advertised before shutting down. Can’t see anybody having that level of foresight only 4-5 weeks back.

Probably a better investment now to buy up any bargains, put into storage, for future sale than the meagre interest rate on the cash used that the Banking/Financial sector give.
Are you suggesting that people "invest" spare cash in a VW California right now instead of equities right after a huge market crash? I hope no one takes this advice seriously. Investing in a Cali seems an odd thing to do unless you plan to use it after lockdown. Counting on selling for profit when people will take awhile to get comfy travelling again sounds like a risky attempt to predict a specific market.

At your own risk, but I just want to ensure people realise the "Banking/Financial sector" offers more options than "easy saver" accounts that offer guaranteed sub 1% returns. I made a 10.14% return since March 16 just buying some "safe" Vanguard index funds with cash I had. Do your research.

Well looks like this site has become an investors forum. I joined originally to find out things like Cali accessories to buy, troubleshooting etc. I got sucked in with some of these 'doom' posts, should have resisted. Time to indulge in an Easter egg!!

Whats that old saying, You pays Your money and takes your chance?

Well I paid mine (sorry ours) I am in it for the long term, safe in the knowledge we will have a newish Cali with the balance of a 5 year warranty to play with when this is over.

Well values may go up or down but we have our vehicles and will need to deal with it whenever we choose to sell / trade in. Its possible to overthink these things. A few weeks ago, just when everything was kicking off, I took the opportunity to visit my dad in his nursing home - as it turns out, on the last day before the home closed for visitors. I was just glad I had a vehicle in which I could make the 700 mile round trip, confident in the knowledge I could park up on the way there /back if I needed to without unnecessary risk to anyone. Being able to visit my ill dad (he has advanced dementia) for possibly the last time is hardly the use case I had in mind when I bought the Cali, but do you know what? I'm glad I did...

Guys
Can I just re iterate ‘Baxter’s Dad’ on 8th April!!!
Hundreds of people are dying in our country and all over the world.
Residual value? Deals on future Cali’s?? It matters not one jot when life is at risk!!!

Guys
Can I just re iterate ‘Baxter’s Dad’ on 8th April!!!
Hundreds of people are dying in our country and all over the world.
Residual value? Deals on future Cali’s?? It matters not one jot when life is at risk!!!
You're not wrong. But this is a Cali forum and not a 'health and well being' forum.

What's wrong with people discussing the impact of Covid in the context of their Cali's?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quite simple .... morality.
what if members loved ones or friends have passed due to Covid 19, like me. Do they really now want to read about people worrying about the drop in there Cali value. Especially as it is pure common sense that any shortfall will rise again in the future.
I’m quite sure I’m fairly alone with this view. I have made my point. I shan’t comment further.

You're not wrong. But this is a Cali forum and not a 'health and well being' forum.

What's wrong with people discussing the impact of Covid in the context of their Cali's?

Quite simple .... morality.
what if members loved ones or friends have passed due to Covid 19, like me. Do they really now want to read about people worrying about the drop in there Cali value. Especially as it is pure common sense that any shortfall will rise again in the future.
I’m quite sure I’m fairly alone with this view. I have made my point. I shan’t comment further.
One cannot escape the tragedy and sadness of many who have died as a result of covid 19 and the effect this has had on the families and friends left behind. Most right thinking people would agree with that and hopefully will respect and give these people due consideration.
As we all know, life goes on and we are all entitled to partake without feelings of guilt as normal a life as possible. A lot of the threads on this forum contain humour and it is very welcome as far as I’m concerned, to give relief from the constant 24/7 news and bs from politicians. I don’t believe there is any disrespect intended to those suffering.

I'm sorry for your loss Rawly.

However this discussion is freedom of speech and it's not immoral to offend without intent. No one on this thread intends to offend those affected. It might seem crass but as Salman Rushdi said; If you don’t like a book, read another book.

Your are right. This discussion is totally freedom of speech. Hence my contribution.
Which in fact not about any loss that I have suffered.
I just strongly feel there is too much discussion about monetary loss or gain at this moment in time. as simplistic as that.
I said last time I would comment on this subject no further. After this I shall not.
I wish you and your loved ones good health.......
Also to all those that thought like you it was amusing for you to finish with a quote from Salman Rushdi.
PS.... If it seems ‘crass’ then don’t say it !!!!

People are allowed to discuss other things aren't they. Not just covid. Theres a thread running about an iffy wardrobe light. You can't jump on every thread and tell them not to be so insensitive to the suffering of others. We are all well aware what's happening out there but mundane aspects of life still goes on. The grass still needs cutting and we still have to put the bins out. And we still clean and fix our vans and worry about money. We should also be able to talk about these things. I can't think of a salman rushdie ending here though.

Well done Flying Banana.
Of course we should be able to discuss everything and anything. I made a small comment backing up a member.
But hey ...... I shall remove myself from the club as I was thinking of doing. In the knowledge that I hopefully do not meet you or
mj rose and co who his comment!!!

Well done Flying Banana.
Of course we should be able to discuss everything and anything. I made a small comment backing up a member.
But hey ...... I shall remove myself from the club as I was thinking of doing. In the knowledge that I hopefully do not meet you or
mj rose and co who his comment!!!
Try not to take it personally. Lots do on here and they shouldn't.

Is it just me? I still don't understand the purpose of this thread.

We all own a Cali for the life style it affords us. The main appeal being the fantastic ability to drop everything and disappear off the radar, going anywhere with your reliable, tried and tested house on your back. The sense of feedom that gives is uplifting and I believe is the main reason for their popularity.

However, being a modern motor vehicle it will depreciate. Therefore it cannot be seen as an investment. The fact that the California has enjoyed very slow depreciation in the past doesn't mean that will always be the case. If an owner has purchased one as a relatively safe place to put his/her cash whilst enjoying Cali life then fine, just as long as it is understood that continued high retained values were never guaranteed.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that California values will be fluctuate much over the long term. It's just pointless considering this issue right now.

@Borris , you question the point of this thread, then go on to share your answer to the question it poses!

Not everyone here could stomach a £20k unexpected loss in the value of their van. Folks in that situation (like me when I owned a more recent Ocean) can afford a Cali because of their ultra low depreciation measured over a very long period. The implication in your post is that if you can’t stomach such a loss, you perhaps shouldn’t take the risk of owning one, or shouldn’t be able to share your worries here. That’s a warning and sentiment valid of someone ‘investing’ in Bitcoin and the like, not a Cali.

Whatever happens to the Cali marketplace, I suspect Cali’s will do better than other similarly valued vehicles. I think it’s a valuable discussion, even if it’s very difficult to calculate the market value of something where there is currently no market. Asking prices on the forum are substantially higher than a year ago.

I’d be interested to see if a sensibly priced 18 month old low mileage Ocean stuck around long (that means around £45k). That’s what they were making a year ago but that price is now asked for a 3 or 4 year old with strong mileage.

Back