Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crash in Cali values

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I notice on the VW website there are 162 California's for sale , normally there are never more than 30. Also even before the crisis I noticed not much was selling at all. With all this stock and less demand plus the chance of recession I would of thought prices will be tumbling as a massive rate.

Good time for buyers, not so good for the ones that purchased due to the previous good residuals of the Cali

I guess thats possibly due to the new 6.1 and the ongoing situation, not that anyone will going to view!!!

Sadly I was thinking the same, VW appear to have 100's of T6 for sale when the T6.1 is now out so prices will have to tumble. With recession on the cards I can see the Cali market stalling . Good if you can sit out , not so good if you were looking to sell within next 12 months

I notice on the VW website there are 162 California's for sale , normally there are never more than 30. Also even before the crisis I noticed not much was selling at all. With all this stock and less demand plus the chance of recession I would of thought prices will be tumbling as a massive rate.

Good time for buyers, not so good for the ones that purchased due to the previous good residuals of the Cali
I think the good residual prices of a Cali may have been a welcome bonus of owning one, but I’m not sure that would have been the main reason to purchase.

Really depends how many people want to buy one, 162 for sale is a minute number compared to the population. I am guessing if you havn't already ordered theres no chance of getting a T6.1 for this summer so if the lockdown is lifted those T6s will be the only available stock. If foreign travel is restricted demand could go up.

Lots for sale, but I don't see many at bargain prices.

I've seen a couple offered at decent prices recently, looked to be independent dealers who maybe bought a few in winter hoping to flip them for a profit come spring. Now that demand has disappeared, I expect they've got cash flow problems.

Not bothered myself...
It’s my main vehicle and it costs whatever it costs. I’ve never viewed the Cali as an investment of any sort.

When I’m ready to change. It goes in for a new one. I’ve come round to thinking, it’s the only vehicle I have any interest in owning.

I have a 680 gc on order.

a big part of me is tempted to replace my daily driver with a California due to the residuals and the fact my mileage has dropped.
I view the gc and normal California as two totally different vehicles

We will not go back to normality soon, it will take several phases. Gradually being able to travel/move but social distancing of some sort. Rather than going for a holiday or weekend in a hotel, where somebody else enters and touches your stuff to clean up the room everyday, where you sit in a big room full with people to dine, food prepared by somebody else and brought to you by yet a third person, I can see why people may opt for a camper instead, which allows you holiday and remaining "distant" at the same time. There will be demand for Calis again.

VW Factory not producing which will give a long delivery time for new vehicles which will run into the 2021 year. 2020 models may well not be back in production other than to clear existing production supplies.

Result in the long term will be that 2020>21 models will be few and far between on the 2nd hand market pulling Cali's up in demand and price.

Probably a better investment now to buy up any bargains, put into storage, for future sale than the meagre interest rate on the cash used that the Banking/Financial sector give.

I do envisage many vehicles (not necessarily Cali's) on PCP will be returned by those who have stretched their outgoings to the limit and are now either on Benefits or 80% income.

Spring/Early Summer is the time that the Campervan market really takes off.

This year I expect that the marketplace will simply shift to the right....so potentially mid/late Summer in to the Autumn, as everyone looks to finally get away for fresh air and the great outdoors.

Fingers crossed that everyone adheres to the present restrictions and we can get on top of Covid-19.

That’s my thinking. Go and grab a deal as soon as the restrictions are lifted. The ones advertised pre reg with less then 100 miles on the clock for 51-53 if I can pick them up for high 40s then I think I will pull the trigger. And then enjoy the freedom it will bring. Then either trade it when my gc680 comes or keep both

Peaks & troughs of the market. We never bought as an investment but as a vehicle to enhance our life in early retirement. We expect to have this one for a long time & look forward to being able to use it again.

Cali’s are a bit of a niche product they aren’t the most basic cheap as chips campervan but neither are they the most expensive big white style motor home. I think that the values may dip a little in the short term ultimately they will recover and remain strong. The reason I think this is because in good times there are folks looking to trade up from tenting etc and in bad times there are those who may usually have more expensive holiday trading down, in other words demand will remain. Also what kind of state will the airlines be in after this? The days of the cheap Easyjet / Ryan Air flights may have gone for a while driving to Europe may become more popular and as we all know the Cali is the perfect vehicle for such a trip.

Cali’s are a bit of a niche product they aren’t the most basic cheap as chips campervan but neither are they the most expensive big white style motor home. I think that the values may dip a little in the short term ultimately they will recover and remain strong. The reason I think this is because in good times there are folks looking to trade up from tenting etc and in bad times there are those who may usually have more expensive holiday trading down, in other words demand will remain. Also what kind of state will the airlines be in after this? The days of the cheap Easyjet / Ryan Air flights may have gone for a while driving to Europe may become more popular and as we all know the Cali is the perfect vehicle for such a trip.
Cheap flights may be hard to come by as you say but, if you look at the pollution levels that have dropped over this crisis will countries in Europe look to penalise diesel vehicles to help lower pollution levels

Cheap flights may be hard to come by as you say but, if you look at the pollution levels that have dropped over this crisis will countries in Europe look to penalise diesel vehicles to help lower pollution levels
I'm not so sure. Flights - yes, countries won't be wanting too many visitors from too far away for bio-security reasons. However the number 1 job for all governments after this will be to restart their economies. Penalising people for having a diesel on environmental grounds when money is short won't go down too well.

Borders will possibly open for essential travel first , however I can't see general leisure travel happening until next year now. I feel we may lose a few airlines a long the way

I'm not so sure. Flights - yes, countries won't be wanting too many visitors from too far away for bio-security reasons. However the number 1 job for all governments after this will be to restart their economies. Penalising people for having a diesel on environmental grounds when money is short won't go down too well.
They will have to penalise a lot of people to pay for everything so I would have thought extra tax on diesel would be an absolute cert especially on environmental grounds as well as a lot of stealth taxes similar to the ones they introduced during and after the 2008 crisis . They would probably do it via VED rather than diesel itself !

Last edited:

There's no point in looking at Cali values at present as no one can use them. So for the time being they are of little more use than a static summer house. Once people can use them again for the purpose for which they were designed values will I'm sure return to something like normal.

They will have to penalise a lot of people to pay for everything so I would have thought extra tax on diesel would be an absolute cert especially on environmental grounds as well as a lot of stealth taxes similar to the ones they introduced during and after the 2008 crisis . They would probably do it via VED rather than diesel itself !

When you economy floors/completely tanks like no other period in time. You need to spend the first few years rebuilding and investing.
Cheap fuel and transportation is a way to do this.
Unfortunately the environmental impact will be on hold for the first few years.

I hope Mother Nature’s filling her lungs whilst she can.....

When you economy floors/completely tanks like no other period in time. You need to spend the first few years rebuilding and investing.
Cheap fuel and transportation is a way to do this.
Unfortunately the environmental impact will be on hold for the first few years.

I hope Mother Nature’s filling her lungs whilst she can.....
That's why they will probably do it via stealth - VED etc. Though I think they will be so hard up for revenue they will have to go for everything they can get there hands on - motorists are an easy target and a lot of the travel falls into the non essential category and is "damaging to the environment" - so they could easily put up the price of diesel and give tax rebates & breaks to lorry / transport firms or even hold prices where they were at pre Corona / recession levels and pocket the difference via taxes instead of passing on the reduction in oil prices.

Whilst you do need to invest when times are tough - you need the money and the credit facilities to be able to so and last time around 2008 the Government, despite having these - largely didn't at least initially, hence the double dip recession. This time around things may be so bad that the Government might not have a choice, but they certainly aren't going to leave relatively well off owners of luxury high polluting vehicles alone !

Last edited:
That's why they will probably do it via stealth - VED etc. Though I think they will be so hard up for revenue they will have to go for everything they can get there hands on - motorists are an easy target and a lot of the travel falls into the non essential category and is "damaging to the environment" - so they could easily put up the price of diesel and give tax rebates & breaks to lorry / transport firms or even hold prices where they were at pre Corona / recession levels and pocket the difference via taxes instead of passing on the reduction in oil prices.

Whilst you do need to invest when times are tough - you need the money and the credit facilities to be able to so and last time around 2008 the Government, despite having these - largely didn't at least initially, hence the double dip recession. This time around things may be so bad that the Government might not have a choice, but they certainly aren't going to leave relatively well off owners of luxury high polluting vehicles alone !
I’ll wager this is the death knell for HS2.

I’ll wager this is the death knell for HS2.
Might be what the country needs, government spending on major projects to keep the construction industry going.
Every pound spent on a large infrastructure project eventually works its way back to the government in taxes eventually & every person working on it is one less on the dole.

I hear what you’re saying b
Might be what the country needs, government spending on major projects to keep the construction industry going.
Every pound spent on a large infrastructure project eventually works its way back to the government in taxes eventually & every person working on it is one less on the dole.
I hear what you’re saying but in the short term the temptation of the £36 Billion+++ (?) might be too much to resist.

Back