Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crash in Cali values

Might be what the country needs, government spending on major projects to keep the construction industry going.
Every pound spent on a large infrastructure project eventually works its way back to the government in taxes eventually & every person working on it is one less on the dole.

+1 for what Jodalo just said. It would be a hard political call to let it continue now, even if it would be economically beneficial in Keynesian terms.

I guess we're all going to become armchair economists in the coming months. I'd vote for dropping all taxes on campervan use, to kick-start the leisure economy that will have suffered so much in the lockdown. ;)

And another thing.

Unfortunately, the tourism industry will have taken a massive hit as a result of this pandemic. It will be interesting to see what happens afterwards but things will almost certainly not return to as they were before. Some of the companies and carriers may no longer be trading which could mean less choice and higher prices. IF that were to happen then many people, who may also be finding themselves suffering from the financial fallout, may decide to holiday in the UK instead. That in turn could see a rise in demand for tents, caravans and camper vans etc. As supply and demand dictate prices, values could easily bounce back. So it's not worth considering Cali values at present unless you want to buy or sell right now. If that is the case, avoid selling at the moment if at all possible but drive a hard bargain if buying, as now could be a good time to get a very good deal, providing of course you are able to contact a dealer.
Anyway, I would suggest that most people don't buy a Cali primarily as an investment but instead for the practical uses they offer. That won't change.

^^ Agree Borris. Of course, anyone who needs to sell right now is going to take a hit. Not sure it’s even possible. However, medium term, vast amounts of QE, ZIRP and likely global currency devaluations could mean things become very expensive.

10 more years of austerity incoming

I hear what you’re saying b

I hear what you’re saying but in the short term the temptation of the £36 Billion+++ (?) might be too much to resist.

£36billion......???
It’s at over £100billion projected costs.

They’re are cutting down ancient Woodland on the edge of my town as I type. With no consideration for Social Distancing etc. Groups of guys felling trees...
Vanity project that’s already out dated and makes no commercial sense.

£36billion......???
It’s at over £100billion projected costs.

They’re are cutting down ancient Woodland on the edge of my town as I type. With no consideration for Social Distancing etc. Groups of guys felling trees...
Vanity project that’s already out dated and makes no commercial sense.
I thought the plus signs after the £36 billion covered that point and I’m certainly on your side with the destruction of the countryside. But as a born and bred southerner I remain neutral on the matter.

I thought the plus signs after the £36 billion covered that point and I’m certainly on your side with the destruction of the countryside. But as a born and bred southerner I remain neutral on the matter.

It started at about £16b and has risen by about £12b every year.
I did read one estimate that said if they continue with the year on year rises. By project completion it could hit £200billion...

You could renovate the entire British rail network for less money.

I am left wondering who (if anyone) is going out to view and buy ... buying a leisure vehicle seems a non essential thing to me
Help people survive; camp on your drive

I am left wondering who (if anyone) is going out to view and buy ... buying a leisure vehicle seems a non essential thing to me
Help people survive; camp on your drive
Like that new saying :)

Scrap Trident & HS2, just speed up the line from London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor St.
Abolish UK controlled tax havens (BVI etc.). Stop Double Irish & Doublr Dutch VAT dodges.
Delay Trade talks with EU until economic stability.
Tax multi nationals properly.
Tax investments at the same rate as income.

I notice on the VW website there are 162 California's for sale , normally there are never more than 30. Also even before the crisis I noticed not much was selling at all. With all this stock and less demand plus the chance of recession I would of thought prices will be tumbling as a massive rate.

Good time for buyers, not so good for the ones that purchased due to the previous good residuals of the Cali
As some have said this is a short term view. As the owner of a new 6.1 Ocean I am just being patient until this terrible situation is over. However, when life returns to a new normal I see people having a different perspective on holidays. Foreign holidays especially long haul will suffer. Staycations and shorter European holidays and not travelling in packed aircraft will be even more popular. In your Cali you can in many respects still social distance and isolate as much as you want. Can’t wait to get back out on the open road. So much of the beautiful United Kingdom still to see. Stay safe but be positive.

We will not go back to normality soon, it will take several phases. Gradually being able to travel/move but social distancing of some sort. Rather than going for a holiday or weekend in a hotel, where somebody else enters and touches your stuff to clean up the room everyday, where you sit in a big room full with people to dine, food prepared by somebody else and brought to you by yet a third person, I can see why people may opt for a camper instead, which allows you holiday and remaining "distant" at the same time. There will be demand for Calis again.
Not sure campsites with shared toilet facilities will be that safe

I took delivery of mine three days before lockdown was announced.

At first I thought ‘great, I can sod off and self isolate by the beach’. Little did I know.

At least this has given me time to read the owners manual which I would normally only refer to whilst broken down in the middle of nowhere.

Life is a series of swings and roundabouts. Residuals is the last thing on my mind.

Sadly I was thinking the same, VW appear to have 100's of T6 for sale when the T6.1 is now out so prices will have to tumble. With recession on the cards I can see the Cali market stalling . Good if you can sit out , not so good if you were looking to sell within next 12 months
We have had our T5 California since buying new in 2008. From memory it cost £33k. No intention of selling. Only 60k on the clock and as far as I’m concerned it will see me out. Our granddaughter wants us to leave it to her in our will as it will be a “cool” classic. Never look at things in the short term.
Tom

I've got mine booked in for a service and warranty repairs while its sitting about. Goes in on may the 1st hopefully. Then its all ready as soon as they lift the lockdown.

Not sure campsites with shared toilet facilities will be that safe
You don’t tend to get 200 + people in the campsite toilet block for hours as you do in oversea flights.:thumb:thumb:thumb

We have had our T5 California since buying new in 2008. From memory it cost £33k. No intention of selling. Only 60k on the clock and as far as I’m concerned it will see me out. Our granddaughter wants us to leave it to her in our will as it will be a “cool” classic. Never look at things in the short term.
Tom
Woo hoo me. That was a good deal.
I thought i had the cheapest Cali in the world.
43k but €
vat back so 36k € in 2006.
You probably don't have the comfort dash and integral
windscreen blinds so I've trumped you there. :thumb

Although i might now look at my dash and blinds as costing me 10k :headbang

I notice on the VW website there are 162 California's for sale , normally there are never more than 30. Also even before the crisis I noticed not much was selling at all. With all this stock and less demand plus the chance of recession I would of thought prices will be tumbling as a massive rate.

Good time for buyers, not so good for the ones that purchased due to the previous good residuals of the Cali

So the market price has gone down for Cali's? So has the market value of your pension, your home, your savings (your yacht if you have one). At least you still have a vehicle that you can get away in when this is over, and many who don't have such a vehicle will be at the mercy of likely limited overseas travel for some time. I would hate to have a £50k car on PCP right now and lose my job. We are all victims in one way or another.

At least this has given me time to read the owners manual which I would normally only refer to whilst broken down in the middle of nowhere.
Blimey, do you suffer from insomnia? Reading the owners manual is a certain cure.

Very few cars are investments. Cali’s although low depreciating are not an exception. Once these restrictions are all over we’ll all enjoy our cali’s even more - There are some things you can’t put a price on. The economy will bounce back to a new normal imo.

I suspect there are more vans for sale, because so many peoples jobs have disappeared. They are probably trying to realise an asset to enable them to live.

Back