Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

COMFORT INSURANCE - NO DISCOUNT?

Yes their 36 hour rule has lost them quite a lot of business.

As we're selling ours shortly, I've just reduced the mileage to the minimum - annual premium a notch over £200 - my god that's cheap!! :lol:

Comfort won't insure ours as the Cali is in a *secure* private underground car park 100m from my house, they would rather it was outside on a driveway....

reserves said:
Comfort won't insure ours as the Cali is in a *secure* private underground car park 100m from my house, they would rather it was outside on a driveway....

Eh?!

KernowLad said:
reserves said:

Eh?!

We don't have a driveway, but they won't insure us unless we can find / rent a driveway, for some reason they don't like the fact it's in a secure carpark with card entry and CCTV...

sbmcd said:
Spoke to Comfort re this and they confirmed if I was away from my van for more than a day and a half it would not be insured unless in a the van was parked in a "secure" car park. So for example, if I was in the alps and wanted to do a 2 day hike with a stay in the mountains I would have to find a "secure" car park as defined in the policy to be covered.

In the end I went with Swinton / Safeguard, only £20 more.

So if you left it on your own drive and went away on holiday you would not be insured

Meoncoast said:
sbmcd said:
Spoke to Comfort re this and they confirmed if I was away from my van for more than a day and a half it would not be insured unless in a the van was parked in a "secure" car park. So for example, if I was in the alps and wanted to do a 2 day hike with a stay in the mountains I would have to find a "secure" car park as defined in the policy to be covered.

In the end I went with Swinton / Safeguard, only £20 more.

So if you left it on your own drive and went away on holiday you would not be insured

No, this only applies if you are in Europe on holiday.

Just got my quote from Comfort, £257 for my wife and I, really good i thought. The 36 hour rule won't affect us, you get 2 years or 12k miles new for old van cover, £1000 personal effects/accessories cover, very reasonable £200 excess, 90 days eu trip cover and was told my nc bonus will accrue as it is the only vehicle i insure in my name. This is based on 8k miles p.a. Very nice to deal with too.

Just got my quote from Comfort, £257 for my wife and I, really good i thought. The 36 hour rule won't affect us, you get 2 years or 12k miles new for old van cover, £1000 personal effects/accessories cover, very reasonable £200 excess, 90 days eu trip cover and was told my nc bonus will accrue as it is the only vehicle i insure in my name. This is based on 8k miles p.a. Very nice to deal with too.
"New for old van cover?" Is that GAP insurance? Apologies for my ignorance.

It means up to 12k miles or 2 years old in the event of a write off, the van will be replaced with a brand new one to the same spec. I insured mine yesterday and updated the post above as i went with a slightly different policy with some better cover for the same money, the only thing i "lost" switching policy was the right to buy the salvage vehicle for spares/repair but as i would be getting a new cali in the event of a write off this doesn't matter. They were very helpful.

Sorry my update was in the Insurance for a newcomer thread yesterday

It means up to 12k miles or 2 years old in the event of a write off, the van will be replaced with a brand new one to the same spec. I insured mine yesterday and updated the post above as i went with a slightly different policy with some better cover for the same money, the only thing i "lost" switching policy was the right to buy the salvage vehicle for spares/repair but as i would be getting a new cali in the event of a write off this doesn't matter. They were very helpful.
As the T5 Cali is no longer available to order after this week, there is a potential issue with this type of policy. I know someone who wrote off a nearly new Discovery 2, just as the Disco 3 came out. Insurer would only cover the original value of the '2'. Cost him just shy of £10k top up to get the equivalent HSE '3'.

Back