Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort Insurance - Don’t know they’ve replaced your windscreen - and it invalidates your insurance

I certainly haven't told comfort about all of my added factory fitted extras - may feel a phone call coming on the Monday.

During my ‘renewal chat’ today, the Comfort Insurance person asked me about previous accidents. I mentioned, out of interest, the 2 windscreens I’d had replaced by them following breakages (I haven’t been lucky - 2 flying stones and both in the West Country).

She said that she needed to be informed about these. I replied that they’d both been replaced under Comfort Insurance. She replied that the claims were handled by Aviva and Autoglass, who didn’t tell Comfort. So they were unaware of these claims, and if push came to shove, the lack of declaration would (could?) invalidate my insurance.

Kafka used to write books about this stuff. He’d have enjoyed our insurance industry.

Anyone else had problems with Comfort? Or not told them that they’ve told them they needed a new windscreen?

The good news is that I was spurred to look for other deals, and have done rather better with my car insurer (LV)
I always find a bit of sport is necessary in circumstances like this; how else would your windscreen been replaced if not within insurance provisions. I would have asked the young lady to prove it. Point to the numbered paragraph on my insurance policy that it was my total responsibility to report Aviva and Autoglass back to Comfort who had contacted them to act in the first place. If the young lady would have started spluttering, I would have concluded with; "my dear, that which rolled so easily and succinctly off your tongue lead me to believe you have the numbered paragraph at your fingertip. Please tell me the number so I can look it up."
Arggghhhh!

During my ‘renewal chat’ today, the Comfort Insurance person asked me about previous accidents. I mentioned, out of interest, the 2 windscreens I’d had replaced by them following breakages (I haven’t been lucky - 2 flying stones and both in the West Country).

She said that she needed to be informed about these. I replied that they’d both been replaced under Comfort Insurance. She replied that the claims were handled by Aviva and Autoglass, who didn’t tell Comfort. So they were unaware of these claims, and if push came to shove, the lack of declaration would (could?) invalidate my insurance.

Kafka used to write books about this stuff. He’d have enjoyed our insurance industry.

Anyone else had problems with Comfort? Or not told them that they’ve told them they needed a new windscreen?

The good news is that I was spurred to look for other deals, and have done rather better with my car insurer (LV)
Yeah I tried comfort for quotes absolutely rubbish! Didn’t recognise the beach then they don’t like you using it for work then there was the mileage per year ! Got bored went somewhere else!

I wonder how that works on, let’s say a 2 year old vehicle with the second owner getting the majority of then paperwork.
If you see what I mean?
I'm insured with Safeguard. My van was 9 years old when I bough it, and didn't come with any paperwork detailing the optional extras. I spoke to Safeguard about this and they were were quite happy that factory-fitted extras didn't count as modifications. I've not had a claim so I don't know whether they would stand by this but I believe so.

I went to Comfort for a quote only to step back hastily when I found that if you leave your car parked at the airport for fortnight when you go on holiday you're not covered. Similar to the point mentioned above about parking on your own land. I'm now with Saga.

I've been with Comfort for a few years. Very competitive so far with good customer service, and restrictions on use are ok for us. No experience of claims though. I just rechecked about the factory fitted extras and was advised, as prev, that they don't need to be specified but (obviously) do need to be included in the insured value.

I've just come across a clause in my insurance provided by Comfort that readers may be interested in.

Endorsement 296 - Security - Requirement for an Approved Tracking Device
We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to vehicle registration number CY16RZU by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscription to the system operator has been maintained.

I don't have a tracker fitted. I didn't see this clause until today - 11 month into ownership. It appears from reading this that I've not been insured for theft during the past 11 months. My mistake - could have been a very costly one.

I'll post this info in its own thread too.

That should have been brought to your attention at the time of your proposal and offer of insurance.
It does reinforce what others say about carefully reading all the documents supplied when insurance is effected.
Presumably, if you haven't yet had a tracker fitted, you are still uninsured under section 1?

I've just come across a clause in my insurance provided by Comfort that readers may be interested in.

We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to vehicle registration number CY16RZU by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscription to the system operator has been maintained.

I don't have a tracker fitted. I didn't see this clause until today - 11 month into ownership. It appears from reading this that I've not been insured for theft during the past 11 months. My mistake - could have been a very costly one.

My policy was renewed last summer and it doesn't have that endorsement listed. I would definitely query it with them...especially as they didnt bring it to your attention when the policy was purchased.

My husband on his 4x4 had the same problem. He ordered and replaced the back windscreen, very easy to do, and then claimed. Insurance had a meltdown because the policy required the replacement to be handled by them. The battle ensued and husband won this one inst. Bottom line; run everything by them or risk invalidation.

I have just taken out insurance with Comfort and once I had managed to talk with someone (initial quote on line) and confirmed it was a California they only needed to confirm that it had the class 1 Thatcham immobiliser fitted. My policy document makes no reference to a tracking device. By the way, the quote dropped like a stone after a chat and some negotiation, and a discount from this forum!

UPDATE

I made a telephone call to Comfort this morning asking for removal of Endorsement 296 from my Policy. Quickly and pleasantly dealt with - my Policy has been amended - this endorsement removed. Factory fitted alarm required as per usual.

Comfort did say my Policy would stand for theft of vehicle with the Endorsement 296 as listed given the fact no Tracker fitted at time of theft. I'm far more comfortable having it in writing.

Top tip ALWAYS get any amendment or clarification in writing. Assurances about ‘we record all calls’ are useless, trust me.

Always amazes me how the re-quote price tumbles when you find a cheaper policy and then front up your existing insurer. I’d try a quote from LV which is typically low to act as leverage.

I'm insured with Safeguard. My van was 9 years old when I bough it, and didn't come with any paperwork detailing the optional extras. I spoke to Safeguard about this and they were were quite happy that factory-fitted extras didn't count as modifications. I've not had a claim so I don't know whether they would stand by this but I believe so.
Just an update - since I posted the above I have had a claim, dealt with via Safeguard/Aviva/Swinton (too complicated to keep track of!) and had no problem with my claim.

Back