Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

caravan & m/home club - membership needed to stay at their sites?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello all,
I posted yesterday and got fab response. I realise that I have some to learn in regard to using this forum i.e. just noted the little 'like' and 'reply' buttons on each comment! so please excuse me for not using. I have downloaded an app named "search for sites"and paid to join up to that as we are hiring a cali over the coming weekend and we will play safe at least one of the nights by using a campsite. Note that C&MH club (as well as camping and caravanning club) are listed and not sure if these are open to non members. I was talking again to big bruv this morning, and he actually has his own CL (certified location) so he would know, wouldnt he? he said we definately cannot book/stay at club sites or CLs without being a membership and that when taking bookings I will be asked for my membership number, he also says he turns enquiries down if non members for his own CL. He recommends joining the C&MH club saying we will save greatly on site costs compared to independent sites. However, just reading a thread upon searching on here for this topic, and see that someone says that membership is not required to use these club sites.

Please advise status on these clubs and tell me what your experience in regard to benefits are. I would imagine that membership opens up many more options when travelling, but i am not really interested in booking in advance, unless perhaps making a call ahead of arriving later in the day.

gosh there is so much to find out - this is a whole new world
thanks in advance!

Hello all,
I posted yesterday and got fab response. I realise that I have some to learn in regard to using this forum i.e. just noted the little 'like' and 'reply' buttons on each comment! so please excuse me for not using. I have downloaded an app named "search for sites"and paid to join up to that as we are hiring a cali over the coming weekend and we will play safe at least one of the nights by using a campsite. Note that C&MH club (as well as camping and caravanning club) are listed and not sure if these are open to non members. I was talking again to big bruv this morning, and he actually has his own CL (certified location) so he would know, wouldnt he? he said we definately cannot book/stay at club sites or CLs without being a membership and that when taking bookings I will be asked for my membership number, he also says he turns enquiries down if non members for his own CL. He recommends joining the C&MH club saying we will save greatly on site costs compared to independent sites. However, just reading a thread upon searching on here for this topic, and see that someone says that membership is not required to use these club sites.

Please advise status on these clubs and tell me what your experience in regard to benefits are. I would imagine that membership opens up many more options when travelling, but i am not really interested in booking in advance, unless perhaps making a call ahead of arriving later in the day.

thanks in advance!

Most are, some are not. If you are a non-member they can be quite expensive. Best is to ring the site first and ask if they have room for non-members. I'm a member of both clubs, stopping 7 nights on a CCC site Wednesday, so recommend them :)

Hello all,

thanks in advance!
From the C & MH website.

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 15.08.49.jpg

I thought you could stay on club sites as a non member but get your leg lifted on price, but need to be a member to take advantage of each clubs CLs happy to be corrected.

I thought you could stay on club sites as a non member but get your leg lifted on price, but need to be a member to take advantage of each clubs CLs happy to be corrected.
Correct.

We are members of and like the CCC, on a trip to Scotland last week we stayed at the C &MH site in Killin because the location is excellent. We paid a ÂŁ12/night premium as non-members supplement at an already pricey site. Friendly staff and clean if a little dated facilities. We decided against joining because first time we have felt the need to use C &MH but might just join if we were spending longer in Killin - location is really very good. The warden did say that not all sites are open to non-members.

We are members of and like the CCC, on a trip to Scotland last week we stayed at the C &MH site in Killin because the location is excellent. We paid a ÂŁ12/night premium as non-members supplement at an already pricey site. Friendly staff and clean if a little dated facilities. We decided against joining because first time we have felt the need to use C &MH but might just join if we were spending longer in Killin - location is really very good. The warden did say that not all sites are open to non-members.
Nice village and nice site Killin

Join CAMC and CCC and you have all options covered as well as supporting the clubs. Both offer different experiences - but isn’t that what you want as a Cali owner?! Neither one is a capitalist monster and most sites are run by families and great people. Support them and enjoy their sites.

For continental campers, who want to visit England for two weeks, is it useful, or desirable, to register in these clubs? Is there also a lot of other "independent" camping like in Europe?

For continental campers, who want to visit England for two weeks, is it useful, or desirable, to register in these clubs? Is there also a lot of other "independent" camping like in Europe?

Lots of independent camping in England and the rest of the UK.

I'm not a member of these so called "clubs" & never have seen the need.

No, you don't have to Register. Basically the sites operated by the 2 Clubs are to a set standard with full services and clean, well maintained Toilet Blocks etc:, but they are Not commercial sites so No Bars Restaurants/Cafes on site and only basic shopping facilities on most, bread/milk etc:.
They have rules regarding noise/barbacues and open fires etc: and they enforce them. Some don't like this approach but at least you know what you are getting. Pitches are laid out and marked and generous in size. Depends what you want. Some of these Club sites are even in or in close proximity to cities eg: Bristol, Oxford and London to name a few.

Hello all,

thanks in advance!
Sorry to jump on your post, but can I ask where “Big Bruv” has his CL site please. We are new C&C members and don’t always want loads of onsite activities. Thank you.

Both club sites are really well kept however you dont generally have to be a member so pointless joining really

Only reason we joined the CCC is to get the discount on ferries. Dont think we have ever stayed on one of their sites which I find fairly expensive.

We are members of the CCC but are also thinking of joining the C& MH too

It always amuses me the way the wardens go about their business.
To me it seems that there are always 3 couples,

1st couple think its their site cos the live there and have been there some time.
2nd couple are learning the ropes and are hoping that next year they will be posted
somewhere nice.
3rd couple have been camping all their lives, now retired and can't believe their luck
that they have toilet duties to do but they can stay for free and earn a few quid to boot.

If you get booked in with couple nr.3 then its good, as you have the upper hand.

I've witnessed a few frosty reception areas where the women were discussing
the best place for the postcards.Lol.

It always amuses me the way the wardens go about their business.
To me it seems that there are always 3 couples,

1st couple think its their site cos the live there and have been there some time.
2nd couple are learning the ropes and are hoping that next year they will be posted
somewhere nice.
3rd couple have been camping all their lives, now retired and can't believe their luck
that they have toilet duties to do but they can stay for free and earn a few quid to boot.

If you get booked in with couple nr.3 then its good, as you have the upper hand.

I've witnessed a few frosty reception areas where the women were discussing
the best place for the postcards.Lol.
We are members of the CCC but are also joining C&MH club today

I love it when they tell you how to park, N/S rear to post, and I say " Can't ". Those in the know then say " Oh yes, California " and those who don't know look out at the van and capitulate. I think its getting better because of the increase in foreign made but RHD motorhomes and foreign visitors.

I love it when they tell you how to park, N/S rear to post, and I say " Can't ". Those in the know then say " Oh yes, California " and those who don't know look out at the van and capitulate. I think its getting better because of the increase in foreign made but RHD motorhomes and foreign visitors.
Well we have an awning and have been told that on some sites I may have to park facing in to maintain the 3 metre rule !!

Well we have an awning and have been told that on some sites I may have to park facing in to maintain the 3 metre rule !!
I always park with Front N/S to marker post.

If you have a "continental" van, door on the :wrong: side, you can park nose in. I have never had a problem on every single CAMC site I have been on with parking whichever way I want providing one corner of the vehicle is to the peg in order to maintain separation and avoid door facing the door of our neighbours.

We tow a caravan and sometimes they would prefer we plonk the caravan nose in as our awning would be facing the door side of our neighbours if we didn't.

I've never known an instance where simple common sense did not rule, on a CAMC site or anywhere else.

Where is the spirit of freedom of the early days of California?
I hate these places where you have to measure, align, put in a dictated place and direction. This is definitely not for me, but I respect those who love it! In French we say "il faut de tout pour faire un monde"" ( = it need everything to make a world). I do not know the equivalent expression in English.

Back