Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping and Caravanning Club Membership Extension

D

Dave Wickham

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Do any other members of the C&CC feel they have behaved abominably with their 'offer' of a 3-month membership extension (to 31/03/2021)? The number of days sites were 100% closed is actually 103 by my reckoning (give or take a day), but during the time sites reopened after 4th July, I believe less than 40% had their toilet facilities open - making it next to useless for those with a Cali not carrying onboard toilet facilities - in fact I was told some sites were turning away small campervans and trailer tents!!! So in effect membership during 2020 was a complete waste of money. I won't be re-joining and neither will a few family friends who also feel very badly done by. \interesting to hear other opinions.

3 months = 90 days , 4 months = 120 days.

You say they were shut for 103 days, so as far as I am concerned 3 months rebate is fine.

If you and your family friends don’t rejoin then it will be easier to book where you wish for the remaining members.
The ability to book, no deposit and no cancellation fees mor than outweigh the problems individuals, clubs and businesses have had in 2020, all through no fault of their own .
Keep Safe, we’re not out of the woods yet, by any stretch of the imagination.

If they were fair they would make the extension 3 summer months, representing the months they were closed. Not much demand for camping in the winter months. When writing this post I made a bet to myself if would be you with such a comment. You are just argumentative

I'm pretty sure the membership extension timing depends entirely on your renewal date, so is not "summer months" or "winter months".
My membership renewed in May 2020 while they were closed. When they announced the 3-month extension it then meant that my next renewal will be in August 2021.
It feels like a reasonable gesture. That said, I don't think everything about their conduct through the pandemic, such as keeping all their Camping in the Forest sites closed until 2021, has been great or entirely justifiable.

If they were fair they would make the extension 3 summer months, representing the months they were closed. Not much demand for camping in the winter months. When writing this post I made a bet to myself if would be you with such a comment. You are just argumentative
No, Just Practical. If your Renewal is in the Summer, then you get 3 additional months in the Summer. Or didn't that fact light a Lightbulb Thought for you.

No, Just Practical. If your Renewal is in the Summer, then you get 3 additional months in the Summer. Or didn't that fact light a Lightbulb Thought for you.
You like numbers - what about the lockdown now - another 1 month. Then that should be a 4 month extension, or didn't that light a Lightbulb thought for you?

You like numbers - what about the lockdown now - another 1 month. Then that should be a 4 month extension, or didn't that light a Lightbulb thought for you?
I’m not in England, or is your geography up the creek.:thumb

I'm with WG on this one. If you can afford a California then the odd £20, or what ever, will be no problem. All sort of businesses are suffering huge financial losses, through no fault of their own. If we can afford to help them through then we should.

I presume you made your feelings known at the recent Club AGM?

I think you only get the extension if you renew? So if you decide to not renew yes, you have been ripped off. I cancelled mine too. Fed up of them in many ways. Independent sites are the way forward for me and ADULTS ONLY.

I think you only get the extension if you renew? So if you decide to not renew yes, you have been ripped off. I cancelled mine too. Fed up of them in many ways. Independent sites are the way forward for me and ADULTS ONLY.
Not quit correct. I’m not due to renew until end of December. I have an extension letter to the end of March 2021.
Having lost a deposit on a private site that would not refund as we were unable to travel due to Welsh COVID regulations I have a different view of Private Sites.

Not quit correct. I’m not due to renew until end of December. I have an extension letter to the end of March 2021.
Having lost a deposit on a private site that would not refund as we were unable to travel due to Welsh COVID regulations I have a different view of Private Sites.

I am collecting s collection of un-returned deposits from "independent sites".

The latest one is from a site near Lowestoft. It was going to be our kick-off site next May, I was going to book two pitches booked for 7 nights but wanted to visit first., I was popping over there two weeks ago and had to cancel. I think it now makes 4 this year.

interesting to hear other opinions.
My view is membership is not compulsory we have all be stuffed some way the current world situation. I have saved 1000's of diesel this year.

My view is membership is not compulsory we have all be stuffed some way the current world situation. I have saved 1000's of diesel this year.
I've saved a few large ones on sessions in the pub. Thing is it doesn't seem to be in the bank though.?!?

For me it’s a question of whether you want these organisations to be around at the end of this. My situation hasn’t changed dramatically so I haven’t cancelled and have renewed my memberships even when the service either couldn’t be provided or was somewhat more limited.

If they furloughed their staff and everyone lets their
membership roll on without a thought, then they are doing
pretty good. They already had a few mill running profit.

To think that you are doing you're bit by keeping that company running
is bull sh1t

I personally would like to see them go to the wall just because of the sh1t jobsworths
wardens that i have come across,
no, you cant park there like that, no, the toilets are closed now for an hour,
I don't want to be treat like that from some retired couple who have been regimented
their whole life.
I want to camp without hassle.

If they furloughed their staff and everyone lets their
membership roll on without a thought, then they are doing
pretty good. They already had a few mill running profit.

To think that you are doing you're bit by keeping that company running
is bull sh1t

I personally would like to see them go to the wall just because of the sh1t jobsworths
wardens that i have come across,
no, you cant park there like that, no, the toilets are closed now for an hour,
I don't want to be treat like that from some retired couple who have been regimented
their whole life.
I want to camp without hassle.
Then the Club is Not for you if you don't wish to abide by the rules.

I hope they fo have a few million in the Bank so that they can replace the Crystal Palace site in London and the Baltic Wharf site in Bristol.

I presume you are not a member any longer?

I think there might be a few crossed wires........ the original post was talking about CCC not CMC. Some of the comments above seem to be aimed at CMC.

Just for clarification for a confused oldie.

The original poster has said C&CC which to me is the Camping and Caravan Club?
The argument seems more centred on the Caravan & Motorhome Club.

Which is it

Colours to the mast, I'm in WG's corner.

Crystal Palace site in London and the Baltic Wharf site in Bristol. Caravan and Motor Home Club sites no CCC..

Then the Club is Not for you if you don't wish to abide by the rules.

I hope they fo have a few million in the Bank so that they can replace the Crystal Palace site in London and the Baltic Wharf site in Bristol.

I presume you are not a member any longer?
Those sites are the C&MC the OP was moaning about the C&CC.
I don't recall the C&MC offering any sort of extension.

Those sites are the C&MC the OP was moaning about the C&CC.
I don't recall the C&MC offering any sort of extension.
Just received an extension letter from the Caravan & Motorhome Club.

My mistake. So both clubs are offering extensions.
Only the C&MC have White posts and are strict on parking to them.
Both have rules and you don't have to join if you don't like them.

In this age of Deposits being rolled over or just kept, and "only independent sites from now on"...

Some differences with independent sites and CAMC (I am a member of C&CC but rarely use their club sites)....

This year, independent sites: two in Wales, one in Malvern, one In Banbury, one in Wellingborough, one in Tonbridge ..... all wanted deposits, all told me where to pitch. Three CAMC sites, Ferry Meadows, Cherry Hinton and Malvern hills, none wanted deposits, none told me where to pitch. ALL sites told me where to position my vehicle / caravan when pitching although only 4, the three CAMC and Abermarlais has a positioning peg. This seems to be particularly evident in Wales where "6m" is now prominent, probably a Covid reinforcement.

I had to cancel three sites at the start of lockdown one, Hertfordshire, Devon and Cornwall, all deposits retained ( and something personally I do not have a problem with), and one when I was booked on the Wednesday and Thursday of lockdown two, Suffolk .... deposit retained. The largest deposit kept, £23 in Cornwall.

Now, I do have some gripes with C&CC, mostly due to the multiple day booking rule on many of their sites. I am a member still, it's worth it for access to 2,000 plus CS sites,I have never had a problem on site other than where they are plonking me might not be where I want to go.

Of the two big club organisations the CAMC are getting quite a lot of praise for their handling of Covid restrictions. At least the nice heated washrooms are open and the individual can take responsibility for themselves. It's up to me if I want to go in those facilities if they appear crowded and it's up to me to sanitise my hands after touching stuff others may also have touched. Of the independent sites I have stopped at this year, a five star over 18 site in Tonbridge had all facilities bar one rather soiled toilet closed, Anita's in Banbury was delightful if you don't want a shower, Whitemills in Wellingborough was brilliant, everything open, the one in Malvern had all facilities closed, Radnors end in Hay on Wye and Abermarlais in Llangagog both had immaculate facilities but partly closed.

Just my, hopefully unbiased, observations of my camping experience in this rather exceptional year that has been cripplingly difficult for so many people.**

Edit: I do have one gripe with the C&CC. Whoever it was I spoke to in "customer Service" in April: Customer/Member ... whatever, It's me that helps pay for the club, it's not the club granting me a big big favour to camp with them.

Last edited: