Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

caravan & m/home club - membership needed to stay at their sites?

Where is the spirit of freedom of the early days of California?
I hate these places where you have to measure, align, put in a dictated place and direction. This is definitely not for me, but I respect those who love it! In French we say "il faut de tout pour faire un monde"" ( = it need everything to make a world). I do not know the equivalent expression in English.
" Each to his Own ", or " It takes all sorts "

I use Club sites, CL sites, Commercial sites, Wild Camping sites, Car Parks, Quaysides and even the occasional 4 or 5* Hotel. I don't use Bed & Breakfast establishments.

Where is the spirit of freedom of the early days of California?
I hate these places where you have to measure, align, put in a dictated place and direction. This is definitely not for me, but I respect those who love it! In French we say "il faut de tout pour faire un monde"" ( = it need everything to make a world). I do not know the equivalent expression in English.

It is alive and well.

In the past two years since my Sister acquired her caravan which my Cali tows, we have spent together 60% of our time on regulated caravan sites. Of the rest of that time 30% has been on camp sites, 70% wherever I happen to be when I want to stop.

Having my Sister, our dogs and her caravan is far more important to me than "I'm a Cali owner, I can stop anywhere". Each to our own.

We're members of both the C&CC & C&MC and use site from both clubs. We've found both to be flexible on the way we pitch (nose in or reverse in) - as long as there is 6m between outfits they don't seem to bother. We've also got discount at some private sites (those that are affiliated to the clubs). We've stayed on plenty of good private sites too. We always choose where we want to stay/visit and then see what sites are in the area.

having spent the last 2 holidays traveling in mainland europe we just used the Camper contract app, and found all the sites camper van friendly clean and good valve for money, sorry I couldn't say the same when you come back to the UK the CCC or CMC sites are antaquanted expensive and run like dads army, with a list off do,s and don'ts (mostly don'ts) and they don't seem to like camper vans arriving for 1 nights

having spent the last 2 holidays traveling in mainland europe we just used the Camper contract app, and found all the sites camper van friendly clean and good valve for money, sorry I couldn't say the same when you come back to the UK the CCC or CMC sites are antaquanted expensive and run like dads army, with a list off do,s and don'ts (mostly don'ts) and they don't seem to like camper vans arriving for 1 nights
Must have stayed on different sites to the ones I've stayed on then.Each to his own.

Be interested to know which sites you’ve had problems with as a campervan for a single night. I’m only aware of the CCC having a 2+ night at weekends only policy at some of their sites but certainly not aimed at campervans.

It is all about location, some of the club sites are in great places so cost is irrelevant, CCC rates for the over 60's are very competitive anyway.
Apart from some quirks about position I am relaxed about most rules on these sites and you never have to take your own paper or seat to the facilities.

I couldn't disagree with you more :)

I often stop over on a CAMC or C&CC club for one night and as @ArunAlec said, you might occasionally run into a C&CC rule about two or three days minimum, (a rule often to be found on non-club sites) but otherwise absolutely no hassle whatsoever.

Equally as for rules .... I quite like a bit of separation from my neighbour, I'm paying for a campsite not an Aire, and that Is about the only rule you are likely to be reminded of when checking in to a CAMC site.

As it's always good to have all opinions, I'll put my five eggs in. I don't like any of these club sites, too many rules, wardens like little hitlers, and very poor value for money if you compare with more commercial sites. (All from my own experience, of course others may have been luckier)
Having said that, I don't like large sites anyway so I look for small ones with minimal facilities, and I'm quite happy to take my own toilet roll to the loo if need be. Peace and quiet and lack of regimentation conquer all, for me!

Sorry to jump on your post, but can I ask where “Big Bruv” has his CL site please. We are new C&C members and don’t always want loads of onsite activities. Thank you.

My brother's CL is in Bow, mid Devon (between crediton and Okehampton.) he has a a small friendly site at the bottom of his garden and I know he gets mostly regulars.

My brother's CL is in Bow, mid Devon (between crediton and Okehampton.) he has a a small friendly site at the bottom of his garden and I know he gets mostly regulars.
Thank you, we are thinking of Devon & Cornwall for three weeks next year, may look him up.

What’s the difference in price on average per night with being a member of the CMC and not being a member?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the difference in price on average per night with being a member of the CMC and not being a member?

A quick example Abbey Wood ... extra £12 per night. So joining is a no brainer for me!

Thanks ArunAlec,

That is a no brainer, looking at those prices.

D

If you like that kind of site, with all the facilities but pages of rules and very regimented it's definitely a good idea.
For me it's not. I'don't rather just be in a field with a look somewhere.

The club sites have standards and you know what you are getting. You also get extra 10% off at gooutdoors for being a member.

If you like that kind of site, with all the facilities but pages of rules and very regimented it's definitely a good idea.
For me it's not. I'don't rather just be in a field with a look somewhere.
Not sure where the pages of rules come from. Most of them are common sense .

I tried to make a balanced post there. I didn't say no they are horrible, I said They're definitely a good idea if you like that kind of site.
Personally I avoid sites whose rules run to more than an A4 page. Because I know that it's necessary to have SOME rules.

I tried to make a balanced post there. I didn't say no they are horrible, I said They're definitely a good idea if you like that kind of site.
Personally I avoid sites whose rules run to more than an A4 page. Because I know that it's necessary to have SOME rules.

Thanks for all the insights guys. BikerGran, what’s the alternative though? Is there a website where I can book? Eg the fields you mention?

I'm often puzzled by the "rules" posts.

I'm as freewheeling as anyone but mostly in the past used their sites when I had been off grid for days and needed the facilities, wash me, clothes, dishes etc. In the last two years with a lot of caravan towing I have used both clubs extensively, just checking my diary 87 nights in Alfie alone.

I have had one knock on the door telling me the "Rules" state no cables joined together.

I have had one warden ask was I using two hook-ups on the one pitch, quite reasonable, any campsite owner would do that.

I have seen a warden ask someone to clean up their dog's mess and be thoroughly abused. I have seen wardens being abused because someone had kicked a football against their van and they were nowhere to be seen enforcing "the rules"...

On CAMC sites I have always been told place an offside corner to the peg wen pitching, no problem with that whatsoever as with everyone doing it it ensures maximum separation from my neighbour, an utterly laudable objective, otherwise it's park where you wish.

On CCC sites they select the pitch for me, as do most non-club sites, normally after asking me where do I want to go.

Otherwise, where are all these rules and "hitler wardens", as another poster called them?

Yes, me, on my own, prefer to be fancy free and either no neighbours or like last night in a pub car park with people to talk to after being on my own for a couple of days, However I have found neither club site "full of rules" or "hitler wardens" although there was one particular warden who was rather officious until he found me better versed in the rules than he was :D

Last edited:
Caravan & Motorhome Club Rules

In fact , most of them I wouldn’t consider to be rules, more Administrative explanations regarding Arrival, Departure and Booking and most of the rest are more common sense. What is more surprising, and in a way worrying, is that some of them even have to be put into print.

3. Behaviour on site
a. Please make sure you, and anyone staying with you, respect the comfort and convenience of other site users. When you're on site please don't behave in a way that discredits The Club. Verbal or physical abuse won't be tolerated. This will result in you being asked to leave the site and your membership may be suspended.

b. If you have children with you on the site, you are responsible for their supervision.

c. No one wants their outfit damaged, so ball games are not allowed near the pitches. Please ask the site staff if there is anywhere suitable to play ball games.

Thanks for all the insights guys. BikerGran, what’s the alternative though? Is there a website where I can book? Eg the fields you mention?

There are a number of Facebook groups that are relevant, if you do Facebook. I do belong to a few but mostly I just find the area I want on Google Maps, check the 'nearby' box for campsites, and have a look at the ones that come up. Or have a look at local pubs with large car parks and email or phone to ask if I can stay overnight in the car park if I eat there - I haven't been refused yet. Or stay in random places like the car park outside the Landguard Fort at Felixstowe near the beach nature reserve.

Bikergran will find me on FB though that's not the name that will come up, and I'll show you the groups on there, or just do the above.

Last edited:

Both clubs have extensive networks of "5 van sites" .... roughly 2,500 with CAMC, 2,000 with the other one, mostly a field with waste disposal and a water tap, many with additional facilities such as a water tap, toilet, even showers, a lot with EHU. You have to be a member of the club to use them but ironically for all the talk about "rules" you have to be a member of either club to access a large network of "few rules, few facilities" sites.

It all depends on what you want, what facilities you need etc.

A good website is searchforsites.co.uk which lists every single variety, from car parks in the middle of nowhere to pubs in the centre of town, full facilities to no facilities.

Back