Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in 2021does not bode well!

You should check these out Borris.
I was super impressed at the Motorhome show a while back.

My friend had a look at one of these the other day and really liked them.

Trailer Tent?
Some good second hand and relatively cheap ones about. kids might love the independence as various sizes and comfort available.
easy to tow and store.
Best if you have room to open up at home if wet canvas when packing up on site.

There are a few vehicle options to get out and about, which one of them would be a caravan. We thought about this too, because they have their advantage. But I agree that to tow a caravan will somewhat take the driving flexibility away from the California, a driving experience we all love. For the reason GrannyJen explained so nicely we decided that a caravan is not on the list for the moment.

But Borris may I come back to the "feeding frenzy" you mentioned in the opening post.

Regularly I get magazines about camper van, motorhomes and similar from Germany. One big topic is the huge demand on those recreational vehicles (campervan, motorhomes and caravans). During the lockdown last year people really took a shine to camping which increased the demand. Lead times for 12, 18 or 24 months are not seldom and because of this the price of used vehicles grew as well.

If things become better (and hopefully it will be soon) those people want to use those vehicles which they have paid a lot of money for. But based on experts in this field the existing infrastructure (campsites) is not big enough to meet the demand.

Because of this I not only expect increased prices for campsites, but also, based on the need to book sites, a decrease in spontaneity and flexibility (which I feel is even worse than higher prices).

In Germany experts already suggest that the campervan / motorhome industry should spend money in the infrastructure. This should be in their interest because if everybody is frustrated sales will decline.

Also I feel for the people living in nice areas (areas that we all want to visit). But that was discussed plenty of times in different posts.

At the moment we are not allowed to leave Ireland for holidays (a fine of up to EUR 2,000.00). I expect that all campsites in Ireland will be booked out because everybody wants to get away (which is totally understandable). But as mentioned above that comes with disadvantages. If it really turns out that we are not allowed to leave the country until august or september of this year it might be better to stay at home.

I wonder what the future of the camping industry and hobby will be. Will it continue to grow or when things are getting better will it "die down" a bit and people go back to old behaviour and booking holidays in a hotel or so.

Hopefully happy summer holiday California,
Eberhard

Left field option

Good Lord, it can‘t be that difficult, can it? Bring a 3-person throw-up tent, and put the kids there! They will love it!

Good Lord, it can‘t be that difficult, can it? Bring a 3-person throw-up tent, and put the kids there! They will love it!
I suppose the kids are still quite young and so being on their own in the tent might be an issue for a couple of years or so.

If you had an awning room, I suppose a mini pop up tent for your grandson might fit in there...just. Canvas is definitely the simplest and cheapest option for now.

Can't help but agree that a teardrop might be perfect though, if all you really need is a secure bed. They often have the added bonus of an outdoor kitchen too, but I think you've recently got a whole new set up, so that may be unnecessary.

Two very interesting designs.

Wow! They are certainly two eye catching and very innovative designs. Thanks.

Owning a Beach, I was eyeing up trailers from these people, both the Hero and Terra Hibernia...

I'm sure they're available elsewhere though
Crikey there are some interesting options being put forward. I didn't realise that there was such a wide choice.

We looked at an Eriba as an alternative to the van for a while - primarily for £££ reasons - but decided to go all in for the van instead. Having said that, if I was in the market for a caravan, it'd be without doubt an Eriba. Loved them and seem well made.

We bought a T@b 320 off road in 2008 and surprisingly
could sell it now and only loose a few quid, or even nothing
if i drove a hard bargain.
It did the job and to me it looked kinda cool on the back of the Cali.
We've still got it for some reason, even though seldom used.
I like holding on to things...images-207.jpeg

Well from my perspective there are several things wrong with that idea:

1. They are getting towards the age where they should really have separate sleeping quarters.
2. Stick them all in together and within five minutes the fur and feathers would start to fly.
3. I remember insisting that our own kids slept in tents when they too were still quite young. It rained heavily that night and whilst we were tucked up in the warmth of our heated static holiday caravan, our children, two girls and two boys, ended up spending most of the night soaking wet in flooded tents. They've never let me forget that and I still feel bad about that to this day. It may seem daft but exposing their little darlings to the same fate, however unlikely, is a definitely not going to happen on my watch.

I would stress that this isn't a major problem and we already have equipment and strategies for overcoming this issue. The reason for mentioning it was purely to introduce the main point of this thread. That being the forthcoming likely shortage of pitches this year.

However, we are interesting in exploring more comfortable and elegant solutions that would also suit us in years to come as our personal circumstances change. Accordingly, we are exploring all possible options. It isn't a problem that arises that often so the likely hood is that nothing is going to change for the time being. However, we are having fun doing the research which will be noted down and actioned when the time is right.

So for the time being the Cali Beach rules. :thumb

Quechua 2 second tent (will not leak, or no more so than a California bellows), and a pair of walkie talkies, job jobbed and buys you time to decide what you really want once Cali camping is too uncomfortable.

Here you go chap...

https://www.scouts.org.uk/activities/survival-shelters/

You might even be able to get him to light your camp fire for you...

https://www.scouts.org.uk/activities/the-perfect-campfire/

Come on Borris, use your imagination man!
He's already in the Scouts and does these things already with his pack. Sadly, there are very few places that allow proper camp fires these days or camp building. However that is one possibility that I have been looking into for the summer holidays. He has a full week's introduction to his new school in August so we intend to take the girls away for for some girly fun. He will have a boys week shortly after. :thumb

Works out about £800/month - now searching for stay & store sites, some C&MH sites have storage facilities which are reasonably priced & you just pay pitch prices when actually staying there.
Camping in the forest do great seasonal pitches and prices start around £880 6mths no electric at longbeech.

But Borris may I come back to the "feeding frenzy" you mentioned in the opening post.

Regularly I get magazines about camper van, motorhomes and similar from Germany. One big topic is the huge demand on those recreational vehicles (campervan, motorhomes and caravans). During the lockdown last year people really took a shine to camping which increased the demand. Lead times for 12, 18 or 24 months are not seldom and because of this the price of used vehicles grew as well.

If things become better (and hopefully it will be soon) those people want to use those vehicles which they have paid a lot of money for. But based on experts in this field the existing infrastructure (campsites) is not big enough to meet the demand.

Because of this I not only expect increased prices for campsites, but also, based on the need to book sites, a decrease in spontaneity and flexibility (which I feel is even worse than higher prices).

In Germany experts already suggest that the campervan / motorhome industry should spend money in the infrastructure. This should be in their interest because if everybody is frustrated sales will decline.

Also I feel for the people living in nice areas (areas that we all want to visit). But that was discussed plenty of times in different posts.

At the moment we are not allowed to leave Ireland for holidays (a fine of up to EUR 2,000.00). I expect that all campsites in Ireland will be booked out because everybody wants to get away (which is totally understandable). But as mentioned above that comes with disadvantages. If it really turns out that we are not allowed to leave the country until august or september of this year it might be better to stay at home.

I wonder what the future of the camping industry and hobby will be. Will it continue to grow or when things are getting better will it "die down" a bit and people go back to old behaviour and booking holidays in a hotel or so.

Hopefully happy summer holiday California,
Eberhard
Thanks Eberhard,
for your interesting reply.

You have explained my concerns, the the main point of this thread, so much better than I did. :thumb

Camping in the forest do great seasonal pitches and prices start around £880 6mths no electric at longbeech.
Gosh, that sounds cheaper than I expected. Do they monitor how long you stay there or have any onerous conditions?

Long beech only has basic facilities chem point and fresh water, waste water, and bins.
There’s only so many seasonal pitches runs from April to end of sept.
All camping in the forest sites have summer seasonal pitches (some sites with elec and showers cost can shoot up on them sites).
Setthorns do a winter pitch with electric for around £1800.
Only catch is you have to be reg under an address somewhere in the uk or you will get chased for council tax!
If you can’t get a seasonal they do a 28days then you have to leave for 1 day and then you can come back for 28days not as cheap as seasonal though.

At the moment we are not allowed to leave Ireland for holidays (a fine of up to EUR 2,000.00).
I digress but waiting for the school bus this afternoon I saw an Irish car driving down calle urbieta in San Sebastian with three paddle boards and a bike strapped to the roof XD

I digress but waiting for the school bus this afternoon I saw an Irish car driving down calle urbieta in San Sebastian with three paddle boards and a bike strapped to the roof XD

Hello Bob_Summers,

Beginning of Janaury we got a bit of the "blues" and decided to book a ferry from Roslare to Cherbourg to visit the Baltic States at the end of June. We hoped at that time the vaccination and therefore the fight against the virus would have gone so far that we can travel.

Fast forwarding to May we learned that still many countries have some restrictions to let visitors in.

Last week Friday my wife saw that Spain accepts visitors if they have a negative Covid test. So we changed the ferry from Roslare to Bilbao to visit norther Spain.
This week Wednesday in the main Irish news they spoke about the fact that unnecessary travel abroad is still not permitted and can be fined up to EUR 2.000.

A Garda may accept other reasonable excuses that are not on this list. You should have evidence of the reasons for your travel.

You can be fined €2000 for unnecessary travel abroad.

Unfortenately holliday is not part of the necessary travel. The way I see it is that at the moment the Garda checks people coming into the country. At that point if we can't prove that we had a good reason to leave Ireland we might get in trouble (see above).

We still hope that in the next few weeks the situation changes. I can imagine that the pressure on the Irish Goverment is rather high. But also they are very concerned about the Indian version of the virus. Because of this changes might delay.

We have to see how it works out. We spoke to the ferry company. We can keep the booking until next year, in case we have to stay here. Our problem is that during June / July Ireland will be very busy. I expect camp sites will be full. We also have to wait and see.

Happy hopefully traveling California.
Eberhard