Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Western Isles restrictions

J

John Andrew

Gigha
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sorry if this info has been posted before, did a quick search and nothing turned up.

There is a notice on CALMAC's web about restictions on visiting the Western Isles with Motorhome / Campervans.

Notice : -

"Campervans/Motorhomes/Caravans - At the request of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council), we have been asked to advise our customers, at time of booking a campervan/motorhome/caravan to any Western Isles destination, that they are required to have a booking with official campsites on the island in advance of travelling. CalMac does not require sight of any pitch booking documentation prior to sailing."

Is this legally enforceable?

I wonder if CALMAC will stop you boarding if you don't have any campsite booking documentation.

I know we have to adapt due to the Covid19 situation, but think this may be the thin end of a very large wedge.

Seems reasonable temporary solution for a remote community with few health care facilities beyond what is provided for the local population.

Similar rules are in place if you wish to enter Denmark for tourism

In my view taking a legalistic approach misses the point - they are asking tourists for some respect in these difficult times.

@John Andrew I think it is reasonable given the current situation. It has always been that in some places both Guernsey and Jersey require you to organise a permit, which must be arranged prior to your visit.

Seems reasonable temporary solution for a remote community with few health care facilities beyond what is provided for the local population.

In my view taking a legalistic approach misses the point - they are asking tourists for some respect in these difficult times.

No the point I am trying to make is that this policy would mean in effect that it would not be possible to stealth / wild camp on any Island, not that you are not allowed to visit. Lewis / Harris for example is not exactly a small Island.

No restrictions now in Denmark if you are travelling from an open country. :thumb

No the point I am trying to make is that this policy would mean in effect that it would not be possible to stealth / wild camp on any Island, not that you are not allowed to visit. Lewis / Harris for example is not exactly a small Island.
1. Calmac are just informing you of the Western Isles decision. They are not enforcing it.
2. The Western Isles Council are restricting camping numbers to registered pitches.
That's what happens when people don't observe the rules and overrun the facilities. Unfortunately people are not observing the rules at present, so everyone is affected.

1. Calmac are just informing you of the Western Isles decision. They are not enforcing it.
2. The Western Isles Council are restricting camping numbers to registered pitches.
That's what happens when people don't observe the rules and overrun the facilities. Unfortunately people are not observing the rules at present, so everyone is affected.

When you say "people are not obeying the rules" I'm not clear what rules you mean. There are no "rules" (in the sense of laws) that can stop you, in a general sense, from taking any motor vehicle to any part of the UK. If I decided (hypothetically) to take my Cali to Lewis - with our without campsites pre-booked - I am breaking no "rules", even if I'm doing so against the wishes of the local authority.

The rights of all of us to travel where and however we wish in our country are pretty important IMO, provided we break no laws in doing so. Even though I may choose to respect the sensitivities of local people by not going there at present, I have no right to insist that others do the same, they can make their own choices.

But anyway, as WG says, it looks to me as if CALMAC has taken its own corporate decision to pass on the messages from the CnES, and it's then up to its customers if they follow them. At the same time I'd be very surprised if CALMAC denied boarding to a ticketed customer as that would put them in jeopardy under contract. Just my view.

Yes, that's right. Seems reasonable given the current situation.

When you say "people are not obeying the rules" I'm not clear what rules you mean. There are no "rules" (in the sense of laws) that can stop you, in a general sense, from taking any motor vehicle to any part of the UK. If I decided (hypothetically) to take my Cali to Lewis - with our without campsites pre-booked - I am breaking no "rules", even if I'm doing so against the wishes of the local authority.

The rights of all of us to travel where and however we wish in our country are pretty important IMO, provided we break no laws in doing so. Even though I may choose to respect the sensitivities of local people by not going there at present, I have no right to insist that others do the same, they can make their own choices.

But anyway, as WG says, it looks to me as if CALMAC has taken its own corporate decision to pass on the messages from the CnES, and it's then up to its customers if they follow them. At the same time I'd be very surprised if CALMAC denied boarding to a ticketed customer as that would put them in jeopardy under contract. Just my view.

The other anomaly is that there is no mention of any restrictions for Motorhome or Campervans mentioned on the Comhairle nan Eilean Siar web site. [not that I can find on initial inspection]

It is not surprising that there has been a large increase on wild / stealth camping on the Islands as it looks as if 50% of the camp sites are still closed, even the ones that are open don't seem to have any facilities available. [which seems to be the case for a lot of campsites on the mainland]

By "rules" I meant those pertaining to "Wild Camping" where you can or cannot stay normally. No one is being prevented from visiting.

CALMAC statement includes" CALMAC does not require sight of any pitch booking documentation prior to sailing" i.e. just passing on a message.

CALMAC statement includes" CALMAC does not require sight of any pitch booking documentation prior to sailing" i.e. just passing on a message.

Yes they will be steering a careful course... and who can blame them!